Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a heater on there ranger?What kind?And does it work well enough to buy one?

Heath

·
Registered
563 Posts
I bought a heater for my RZR but have not installed it yet. It works off of the hot water from the radiater. I am sure it will work when the engine is warmed up. I've seen electric heaters for sale. Their phony. 15 amps at 12 volts is only 180 watts, a hair drier put out 1500 watts. you would have to draw 125 amps to have that much heat from a battery. If you decide to get one (radiater type), check out EBay, their prices are about 30 % less then suggested retail price.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've seen electric heaters for sale. Their phony.
This is true. Mine knocks the chill off, but if it gets colder than 30 degrees forget it. I bought a tent heater by Coleman and that thing really puts it out. I'm working on a rig to mount it in the Ranger.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Will do. It will mostly consist of 4" PVC sewer pipe to hold the propane tank and a platform mounted somehow to the floor.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The heater I bought for my RZR ia a polaris aurora heater. I know a propane heater will work, just be careful you don't melt something or catch something on fire.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If you ever changed a heater core in a car then you should understand it is a pretty simple system consisting of a blower fan blowing over a small radiator coil and enclosed inside a box.

I'm waiting for one of our fabrication gurus to yank a small heater system from a junk car and retrofit it to a Ranger.

I think where this becomes way more complicated is if you try to add the controls for redirecting the warm air flow between defrost, panel or feet.

My thought is you could get such a simple system out of something like a Yugo or tiny sub compact car for next to nothing and have some real fun getting it all plumbed and electrified to do the job.

You guys down in the southern end would need nothing fancy while up here I might want to find a unit out of Greyhound bus for when the temps go below the zero mark. ;)

I have also contemplated one of those add on deals from the rear of a van that appear to be pretty much self contained as long as it works off the coolant system rather then fully electric.

This would be a great project for a few of us to mess around with and I really see no good reason why the Polaris one should be so rediculously expensive. I wonder how many perfectly good units got crushed today at my local auto graveyard?

Gary

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i thought about doing that myself but wanted to see what other people where doing for heat.i dont need nothing fancy just something to nock the chill out and really dont want too spend alot of money on something that i want use that much.

Heath

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last Nov. I installed a Rangerware Heater. The install took about 2 hrs. but was well worth it. Over the winter we were out in 10 degree weather and I needed to shed some layers. It has two vents at floor level and one on the dash to defrost the windshield. Well worth the money tio stay warm. Check their web site at rangerware.com.

Joe

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the ranger ware heater was the one i wanted to go with, just wanted to no if anybody had one and if it really worked. thanks jconan.

Heath

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Polaris cab heater and a lock and ride cab. It works pretty good, it just takes a little time for it to warm up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts