Polaris Ranger Forum banner

HELP!!!!!

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  GeorgeG 
#1 ·
Hello
I pray you guys can help. I’m worried.
2014 Ranger Crew 900.
I was in single wheel mode (turf mode).
Going around a corner at a low speed and all of a sudden heard a grinding type noise and I stopped the SxS. It would then not go forward in that mode. Goes forward in 2wd and 4wd.
Goes backwards in 2wd and 4wd. But will not go forward or backwards in turf mode.
I know the reverse chain is a week spot, but if that was broke I don’t believe reverse would work in any drive mode.
Another weak spot is loosing the turf mode gear I believe. Can I still run the SxS and just not use turf mode?
What is the easiest solution for me?

thank you all for the help!!!

george

#2 ·
You probably broke the turf mode gears, or it is possible that you broke an axle or cv joint.
If the turf mode is broken you don't need to drive it or move it except to gently get it to the place where you want to pull the transmission because the broken parts frequently will break a hole in the bottom of the transmission if it binds up.
To check for a broken axle or cv you can jack up the rear with the tires off the ground and put it in park and see if one of the axles will turn. If it does turn you can check the inner cv joint to see if the part closest to the transmission also turns. If it doesn't turn the cv or axle is broken. If it does turn you can pull the axle out and check the spline that goes into the transmission both the male and female to make sure they are good. If they are good it is probably broken turf mode.

#4 · (Edited)
When in 2WD or AWD one axle is locked to the carrier by a sliding locking collar, so that side will still pull.
This collar effectively locks both sides but the other axle gets its power back through the turf mode gears.
If those gears are broken that side will not pull.
You probably just have one wheel drive.
Turf mode is 2WD with an open differential just like in a car.

#5 ·
Ok. So I tore into it today. On the left side of the machine the outer cv axle was broke.
So should I change just that one or both?
Is there a better axle to go with?

I also am going to change the rear fluid, anyone know what to use and how much?

Third, now I’m paranoid about the reverse chain. Anything I can do to not get into double there without tearing the tranny out of the machine and find a place to split it etc.

Thank you all for your patience and help.

#6 ·
You can do it either way and you might determine that by the way you use it. You broke this one and there are better axles of varying strengths and prices available. I don't know how to advise you on that.
Maybe someone else will give you some advice or you might be able to do a search and get some good info.
I use the Polaris lube in my transmission, takes a couple of quarts best I remember, just fill it till it runs out.
There is nothing you can do about the reverse chain except replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.