Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It just began and is predicted to be pretty nasty here for the next few days.

It was 45 degrees today and will be well below zero in the morning with steady winds of 25-30 MPH and gusts over 50 all day long.

The RZR will be on plow duty! Coal stove is stoked up, generator is in stand-by and we just finished grocery shopping so all is fine on the eastern front.

Gary

·
Registered
47 Posts
Best of luck with the storm....keep safe.

It is miserable here too. I couldn't even wear long pants to my son's baseball practice, it would have been far too hot. I put on the shorts, a t-shirt and my Angel's hat and headed to the practice......with the a/c on in the car of course! Don't worry about me though, I found some shade at the ball park, so even though I didn't take any sunscreen I was okay.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, You just needed to throw that out here, didn't you? :2funny:

We got 3 inches of snow in less then a half hour and then it stopped and the sun is out until the next band comes marching thru.

Gary

·
Registered
181 Posts
Gary,
yesterday it was about 60 here and beautiful. Today it is 20 and still beautiful out except for the chicken we got that has laid the same egg three times today because it is so windy here! It is windier than a bag full of busted
a--holes here today!

Mark

·
Registered
635 Posts
Oh yeah not you see what we had last week.. Remember these..

·
Registered
181 Posts
It has been about three or four years since I have seen anything that remotly slowed me down as far as snow!

Mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
CodeBlue,

what is the deal with the bikes in the snow? Is one of those yours?

Lynerd

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's a joke I played on my biker buddies, they are my son's toy's. One of the guy's even asked if I needed help digging them out when I posted them on my motorcycle site. bbbbwwwwaaaa

·
Registered
3 Posts
It has been a winter for the ages up here in Northern Maine.  The NWS said that we have a shot at the all time record for snowfall since they started keeping records in the 30's.  From Oct 1 thru Jan 31, we have had the most snowfall ever for that time period.  Today we got about 6" and expecting another 6-8" by tomorrow afternoon.  Heh, you dont hear too much about global warming around these parts. 

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gary,

Sorry for the previous comments, they were simply insensative, plus I am feeling your pain now. Since the sun has gone down, I think the temperature has dropped to at least 70.......MAYBE EVEN LOWER!!!!! AND I am away from the house.......still in my short pants and NO jacket. Yes you read tyt right........NO JACKET! Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
>:D

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, The Blizzard was only around for a short time and dumped about 3 inches of snow in less then a half hour.

Right behind it came the freezing winds and it is well below zero right now with the winds howeling but no snow to mention.

We seem to be getting missed with alot of the normal snow fall that is going to the north of us this year and up toward Maine, Vt. & NH instead of dropping here.

For those who are not in snow country, it is very important to have a good blanket of snow on the ground as it keeps the frost from going too deep and freezing all the wells and water lines. Snow is actually an insulator.
When temps approach the sub zero mark and there is no snow on the ground we face another potential problem with freeze ups.

Global warming is not in the minds of many here either but there are some weather pattern changes that cause some concerns for us. Last week we had a couple days that got close to 60 degrees and now it is -12.

Two years ago we had a good 2 feet of snow on the ground and then the temps went to 60 with a warm rain for three solid days. Here is the road leading to my house back then.

Gary

·
Registered
111 Posts
looks cold!! got t-storms in the forecast for late today, and after midnight!! we're gonna outlaw Tuesdays here....week before last, high winds...88k customers out of electricity..this past week..Tornadoes, with all kinds of crap...44k out...some 7,700 still out in north Arkansas, due to a Transmission line down in remote mountainous area, expected to have the highline back Hot and customers back on by 8 or 9 tonight!!!!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We loose electric here frequently but usually just because a lone tree came down and snapped the roadside line.
Fairly easy repairs.

Our Marcy South Transmission lines go through some remote areas but they are highly maintained with almost 100 yards on either side kept well trimmed. When that grid does go down then NYC has some serious problems.

We used to be allowed to ride the power lines here until some fool decided to climb one of the towers and got dead. Now they have gates and barbed wire to keep us out.

Gary

·
Registered
47 Posts
On a serious note (no really...)

I don't envy you guys with those storms. I wouldn't mind living somewhere that saw snow once or twice a year, but the stuff you are talking about is crazy. For now, I will stick with our earthquakes. (Speaking of which, we haven't had a big one in a while.....Hmmmm)

My wife and I would love to get out of California, but family and work make that kinda difficult. I wouldn't be moving to anywhere that had winters like you guys are speaking of though.

I am sure you guys know much better than I how to keep safe in that kinda' stuff.....so by all means.....keep safe!

Brian

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

This is pretty typical here for this time of year and I don't really mind it at all.

I would be very happy with out the wind and sub zero temps however.

I don't think you will see anything prettier then a fresh snow that is hanging off all the pines and everything is fresh and white.

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have always been used to 2 and 3 foot snows here in southern West Virginia, but we haven't had a snow of that magnitude since about 1998. I don't know what's up with that. Grazor, I feel the same way about the cold. The snow doesn't bother me, but the cold is another story. Like you I always hope for a good snow cover when the cold comes so water lines and such don't freeze up as bad.

·
Registered
507 Posts
We got about 2-3" today. Unlike you guys, I will take 30 degrees below zero anyday over snow. I just hate snow.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We just got around 6 inches tuesday and then around midnight it began to warm and change over to rain.

At 10 PM I went out and plowed and darn lucky I did. Rains came and turned it all to slush and by the morning it was all frozen solid.

My brother did not follow my advice and went to bed planning on plowing in the morning before work.

Ha Ha, he has 4 inches of solid ice and rutts and it will take a few warm days before his driveway can even get cleaned up.

I hate when my driveway is a disaster area!

Gary

1 - 20 of 21 Posts