Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we were shopping for a Side-By-Side we discovered the Polaris Ranger EV. We drive a battery powered car so were attracted to the concept right away. However, we could not find anyone who actually had one so we were not that confident that Polaris had engineered a solution that was really practical. In fact, the many battery problems listed on this Forum was a real deterrent to making the "buy" decision. We are about to take delivery and now I am wondering; how many Ranger EVs are in operation and how are people using them? We will be using ours on a some acreage that is timbered. Most of its life will be hauling wood, dirt and materials around. We are hoping to drive some Forest Service roads and because Washington State allows counties to open county roads to ATVs (and our county has) we might drive some county roads as well. Anyway; if you add how you use the Ranger EV, likes and maybe areas you would like to see improved, others trying to decide on purchasing one might be helped.

·
Registered
423 Posts
WELCOME to the EV forum. I use my EV strictly for hunting or occasional riding around our two farms.The units are quiet except for a mild motor whine. The ride is superb for both street riding or off road trailing. My only complain has been on the charging system as well as the range of the EV. Don't expect the range that Polaris advertises and you will be happy with your unit.Make sure to change the charger algorithm and the batteries will love you and will last much longer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Howdy. We use our EV on a daily basis for all our ranch chores, checking on and feeding cattle, hauling firewood, checking fences, etc. Traded in half ton pickup after purchase of EV and never looked back. That was four years ago. I am new to this forum and in the process of replacing the first set of batteries. I have also used Lou's instructions and reprogrammed by converter to keep from boiling the new batteries. EV has a roof, removable windshield, and new this winter, removable doors. Doors and windshield are on only for the winter months. Riding around the ranch is a true pleasure as you hear everything happening in nature and not engine noise. Very easy on the nerves of the animals and wildlife. EV is also the go to vehicle when things are muddy. Placed in Low and 4 wheel drive this buggy has never kept us on checking on the cow that had to calf in the rain unlike the big F250 that would just tear up the pasture, the EV glides right over it. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Just bought my first Polaris EV 2 months ago and plan inn using it around the yard gardening and so forth but 90 % of the time for hunting. I have had some type of 48V electric cart for hunting for the past 7-8 years. I hunt mainly with a relative that lives a hour away and he also has electric hunting carts. I have built and outfitted 4 club car carts. In 2010 i drove a Polaris but didn't buy one basically because it didn't seem to have any torque or get up and go like the DC motors. I bought a 4x4 titan scout and was well pleased until my cousin's son bought one in 2012 and he would go there to hunt and brag about it and eventually purchased one. Last years hunting season we used it most of the time and i put my cart up for sale and found a 2011 at a good price and am in the process of getting it ready to hunt. most of the places we hunt are 100 acres or less but muddy and rough here in MS. I have Changed the algorithm of the charger to 11 with the help of Lou1947 and then did the same on my cousin's 2011 Ev and his friends 2013 Ev,installed a Pro-Fill watering system, roof, winch, front mud shields, rear mud shields for the bottom of the bed, New tires25x8x12 and 25x10x12 488 titan, so far. I am building gun and bow racks for hunting and a installing a back up light and dome light for the roof like i had on my other carts. Before the cold gets back around i plan on installing a folding or tilting windshield. Not a solid windshield as it can be 80 or 20 here in central MS from Oct to Jan. Worst part of deer scouting and riding trails in the summer is the front of the cart gets covered with spider webs hanging across the trails as most are hand cut and only wide enough for a atv.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm on my second EV, the first was a total lemon. I used the first one for everything like feeding around the farm, wood cutting, hunting etc. After 3 years of constant breakdowns Polaris made me an offer to replace my 2010 model with a 2012 model so I jumped at the chance.

The new one is only used for hunting. I've made some modifications to it so I can drive it from the back, so it's now a mobile high seat. I made a short video on YouTube if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I moved to the country in 1999. I purchased a used EZ-GO golf cart (36V) which served me faithfully until 2013, when I replaced it with my EV (quite an upgrade, I might add). I live on a 2000' gravel driveway, so there is the daily trek to the mailbox, and weekly I tow a wheeled trash can to the road ( go here for a nifty solution for this job: Garbage Can Caddy Cart by Trash Can Caddie). My wife uses the EV in conjunction with much of her gardening activities, and I am regularly hauling fish feed to the pond and deer corn to the feeder. I occasionally hook up a utility trailer to dispose of limbs and trees that are invariably falling and needing trimming. I am also a bowhunter, and the EV is ever-so-handy hauling my deer stands in and out of the woods pre- and post-season. And if the deer gods smile on me I have been known to transport Bambi out of the woods on occasion. My grandchildren love riding the two-track trails throughout the woods when they visit.

In the two years I've owned my EV, I've put 88 hours on it. It has a dealer-installed fold-up windshield and roof, and I put an aftermarket camo seat cover and rearview mirror on it. I wasted no time in installing a battery watering kit ( Battery Watering Systems, Marine Dock Products, Solar Dock Lights: Utility Vehicles- 48V), and I religiously refill the batteries monthly, usually at about 3 1/2 hours of usage. I recharge as needed, and range has not been an issue with me. My charger algorithm is set at 73, and I have not experienced (to my knowledge) the battery boiling issues many others on this forum have. I am cautiously optimistic regarding the EV's reliability, given that the local Polaris dealer professes almost no knowledge of it. So far, I have no issues, but if and when it needs professional attention I'll be taking it to a more distant dealer where I bought it.

For me it has proven to be a great machine thus far, meeting all my needs in fine fashion.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I'm on my second EV, the first was a total lemon. I used the first one for everything like feeding around the farm, wood cutting, hunting etc. After 3 years of constant breakdowns Polaris made me an offer to replace my 2010 model with a 2012 model so I jumped at the chance.

The new one is only used for hunting. I've made some modifications to it so I can drive it from the back, so it's now a mobile high seat. I made a short video on YouTube if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd73sdvrX4g
This is so cool! I have a buddy that keeps joking about putting a gun turret on top of my Ranger. I can't believe that somebody actually did this.
Not only are you thinking "out of the box", your shooting out of the box.

Good Job-Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
343 Posts
As a disabled hunter I use my EV LSV primarily:
- as a hunting vehicle for small game and big game
- for gun dog training with dog kennel in bed
- for gun dog Hunt Tests
- for gun dog Field Trials
- for youth hunts
- for disabled veterans hunts
- for habitat work with Ruffed Grouse Society, Pheasants Forever and Wild Turkey Federation

As a disabled person I use the EV LSV to run errands around town to the bank, stores, post office, doctors office and YMCA as it is licensed for the street.

For recreational purposes, trail riding and exploring new areas to camp and hunt.

Use it for yard work, hauling mulch and tools. Pulling implements.

Plowing snow in the winter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Plowing snow in the winter.
What do you use for a plow? Or snowblower? Or both? How deep does the snow get around you?

Cheers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tree Farmer

We (family) have an 800 acre tree farm, mostly Loblolly pine, but some hardwoods also. I use my cart (it is just a grown up golf cart) for everything I used to use a pickup for. I almost never use the pickup now except to go to town. If I can't do it with the cart I fall back to the tractor w/loader.

Inspection tours
Wood cutting
Invasive species control
Hunting and fishing
Boundary marking
Showing visitors around
Playing with the great grand kids :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
@ UncleOp: OEM Polaris Glacier II mount and arm with a Polaris Glacier II 60" Razor Blade.

Live on the lee side of Lake Erie. Get a lot of Lake Effect snow. Erie is often the most snowy city in the US. Annual snow fall is between 130 and 170". We don't close schools unless there is +20" over night. There is NO raiding of the supermarket when someone sees a snowflake. Everyone has 4wd or studded tires or is dumb.

We have snow but no, avalanches, floods, hurricanes, major earthquakes or Tsunamis and only a rare tornado warning. We just deal with the snow and its no big deal except for the first snowfall driving day.

I frequently plow my driveway, the neighbors driveways and the street with the Polaris EV LSV before the city plows get to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chores around my 'farm', visiting neighbors (in a community with each of us owning about 10 acres) and running around trails we made and hunting a 120 acre parcel that 5 of us own in common.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
90% hunting. scouting, planting, riding back and to deer stands or hunting areas w a climber, and of course hauling out deer. Oct 1 to Jan 31. rest of the time around in the yard or in the neighborhood just to keep the dust off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Member here just got Polaris EV today got it on charge now had a Huntvee which was a nightmare but liked the stealthiness of the EV. Tried a gas just to loud for me I use mine strictly for hunting.

·
Registered
466 Posts
We have several units for our outfitting business. Only had issues with 1 that turned out to be defective controller. We like them a lot except for some squeaking issues that we are currently looking into. Plus the range is outstanding.

Lou, are your batteries ok? I was surprised to see your disappointed in the range as these things are really doing well for us.

·
Registered
466 Posts
By the way, expect the units to overheat easier and faster if you go with larger tires. Only notice it in warmer weather and steeper grades though

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have never checked the range of the Ev,but my guess is that with the mud tires and the hills in Pike county the range is probably 12 to 15 miles. That is about all that I ever got when new and about the same when I replaced the batteries. I usually dont let the battery meter go pass one bar led than half. My battery indicator is not very accurate thus being hard to tell the exact range of the batteries. Polaris advertises around fifty mile range but these machines don't even come close. (maybe if you go thirty miles or so are downhill). Wondering what range are you getting?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Used my 2011 at the deer camp to help in the planting. checked by Montana GPS. Traveled 19 miles around the camp hauling extra person and carrying 200# of fertilizer most of the time. at the end of day 9 hours later it had 30% charge left when loaded back on trailer. checked batteries w multimeter and have a digital battery meter on the dash connected to batteries. last year planting was about the same. traveled 18 miles. 3 times the distance to any stands i hunt but wet and muddy in november and december. more 4 wheel drive needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts