Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how I did it on my 07 XP,
You'll need extra wire, connectors, a light, and a relay.
The relay needs to have the connectors marked with the numbers, 30,85,86,and87. Napa sells one the # is AR204.

Locate the wire harness under the bed(drivers side) thats used for a back-up alarm. It has a purple and 2 red wires. Mine has factory tags hanging from it.

The purple wire must plug into the relay at #85.
The ground wire from your light, plugs into #30
Ground a wire to the frame and plug it into #87
The 2 red wires and the positive wire from the light plug into #86

The Napa relay has a 5th plug(87A) this doesn't get hooked up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When riding last weekend, I saw a Rhino with what looked like the lower portion of the taillights were clear and functioned as reverse lights. Has anyone seen these for the Ranger? I like the idea of it being integrated and not having something that looks aftermarket mounted.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think mine is too old for such things, but just because it isn't made doesn't mean it won't happen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the info!! I just found this site, and am enjoying it already! I also just bought my first Ranger...will pick it up next weekend...bought it from a friend who was un der pressure from his wife to sell :(...........bet he'll have another before next hunting season ;D, he can afford it!!!!

But I have to wait till next weekend to pick it up :(........he lives in NW part of the state, and me in the SW, but we hunt in SE part and he is delivering it to the Camp this weekend,and I'll be there next weekend........gotta work this weekend!!!!!!

Was thinking of adding a back-up/reverse light.....Thanks again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The stock RZR has no wiring for backup lights. You could use the rear work lights with microswitch mounted on the transmission and a relay if you want it automatic. I used my work lights for turn signals.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
RinoRescue said:
The stock RZR has no wiring for backup lights. You could use the rear work lights with microswitch mounted on the transmission and a relay if you want it automatic. I used my work lights for turn signals.
doesn't your display show you when you are in reverse? If it does you could find the signal wire and tap into it. You might have to use a relay but that is no trouble. Is your display like the full size ranger display?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any idea, what the Relay is rated for, as far as amps ???? Thinking about doing this with either 1 or maybe 2 /55watt h3 type lights.....the amperage on one would be 4.58 amps.......or for two, 9.16......

to figure it...for those that don't know......

Watts divided by voltage = amps

voltage X amperage = watts

Watts divided by amps = voltage

i.e. 55 watts divided by 12 volts = 4.5833333 amps

·
Registered
30 Posts
caglezxj said:
RinoRescue said:
doesn't your display show you when you are in reverse? If it does you could find the signal wire and tap into it. You might have to use a relay but that is no trouble. Is your display like the full size ranger display?
If you look at the wiring drawing, they show a resistor bank that get switched when the gears change. This is how the computer knows what gear its in. If you add the resistens of the relay coil, it may F with computer. These are micro amp circuit. We are talking big $ to replace a screw-up here. We need to here from the design engineers before adding loads to the computer input circuits. 8)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The circuit for the back up light would just be used to pull the coil in on the relay. Very small amount applied here. imagine it is in milliamps. But if you need to go the other route you could wire a micro limit switch by the gear shift. In the reverse position it would make the switch and supply power to the lights. Depending on the size of switch you could use a relay or not.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I picked this switch up at auto zone, yes I do have to push a button but the front lights are on one, the cb on another and the rear lights on another button. That way I can use the rear lights to look for tools or get in the cooler without it being in gear.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/gperx4/Ranger%206x6/DSCN2410.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hooked up a reverse light (see pic) but it was a little different because it picked up the ground from the frame so I had to run the hot thru the relay.

Modified harness as follows

Purple to #85 (coil ground - pick)
Hot lead from light to #30 (common arm)
2 red wires to #86 (hot to relay) and jumper to #87 (normally open - gives hot to light)

I mounted a light from NAPA on the frame next to the muffler so it has some protection when backing up in brush

Since the normal wires are used to pick a backup horn relay I wouldn't worry about the computer. .

·
Registered
167 Posts
would it also be possible to hook up "reverse" lights that automatically turn on when the headlights turn on?

has anybody done the reverse light mod on an 04 ranger? thats what i have, i dont have a backup alarm so idk if this guys way will work on it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
scratch that its an 05 not 04. i looked under the bed and there is not harness thing with one purple and two red wires comin into it. there is a harness with a couple red and a bunch of black wires goin into it though. is this it? i can post a pic if it would help cuz id really like to do this.

·
Registered
507 Posts
jackh said:
would it also be possible to hook up "reverse" lights that automatically turn on when the headlights turn on?

has anybody done the reverse light mod on an 04 ranger? thats what i have, i dont have a backup alarm so idk if this guys way will work on it.
I am sure you could do this. If you have a wiring schematic you could trace the wires and find out which wires to tap into to make this work. Depending upon amperage draw of all the lights on one circuit, you maybe would have to increase fuse size. This is also assuming wire size is adequate.

I do have to ask, why do you want reverse lights to come on with your headlamps?

·
Registered
167 Posts
i think it would be handy to be able to see all around the vehivle while driving instead of having to back up to see behing you. i guess i could just wire it to a switch.

i think im gonna order the dome light kit from turnsignalkit.com and buy an extra light. ill wire then both to the same switch, one will be dome, the other cargo. now i needa figure out how to throw a reverse light on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will this work for new wiring?

Cooper Bussmann/ATM fuse tap converts one into two fusible circuits - 10 Amps

I do not know if it would hurt anything, but it sure would be ez to get power. Any Ideas?

Thanks, Stan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts