Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what light bar to get for my 2018 900.

I originally was looking at getting the Auxbeam 50" Curved 288W lightbar and using the EMP brackets which sets it just below the roof line but after reading some reviews from people saying it caught fire and or melted.

I guess it uses 14ga wire but apparently it needs to minimal of 12ga. Sure it's easy to make my own harness BUT the wires inside the unit are probably still 14ga anyways.

I don't know, I feel skeptical now using these lower budget light bars but I just don't have the funds for a expensive Rigid or the Motoalliance lightbar. I know, I know...you get what you pay for. So maybe I wont get a roof mount lightbar. Sure I could get a smaller one but then I'd have to mount it on the roof which I really don't wanna do because I'm afraid it will get snagged on something. I'd rather it be below the roof line. The Ranger is tall enough as it is.

However, I really need better lighting for plowing this coming winter. I thought about getting a 12" light bar and mounting it just below the Polaris logo in the small grill opening area and upgrading the stock headlights to LED which might provide enough light to make it safe.

The other idea would be to get a smaller light bar like a 42" or maybe even smaller and just make extension pieces for the EMP brackets that way the light bar would sit in the middle.

I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to set my new Ranger on fire because of a cheap product. So any suggestions that are safe but yet affordable would be awesome. Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
All I have is a 21 inch Cheapo from Amazon. It's not an Auxbeam but a Liteway. Very bright for only 144 watt. I mounted it to the roof, and no issues at all. I just can't see spending big bucks for a Riggid or someother big brand. Everyone around hear runs the Amazon cheap stuff with no issues at all. I've Never heard of one catching fire before.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I have is a 21 inch Cheapo from Amazon. It's not an Auxbeam but a Liteway. Very bright for only 144 watt. I mounted it to the roof, and no issues at all. I just can't see spending big bucks for a Riggid or someother big brand. Everyone around hear runs the Amazon cheap stuff with no issues at all. I've Never heard of one catching fire before.
I'm actually just thinking about getting a small 20 inch bar for the bumper and avoid having a large light bar on the roof just to keep the wiring simple. I'll upgrade the headlights to LED too which should give me better light output than the stock ones and that should be all I need.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking at this light bar now which I quite like the design of. Not many reviews but a few people mentioned it worked great on their side by side.

http://a.co/d/9amjR43

I'm just unsure about wiring. So much conflicting information, the charts say I need like 8 ga wire which is just ridiculous. I don't believe these light bars are really 250 watts. So I probably would be fine with 14 gauge wiring. But I don't know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed, 14 gauge is fine for this type of light. I used 14 on my 144 watt light, and 14 gauge on another side X side with a 244 watt light. I used 16 gauge on my small back up cube lights.
My only caution with a full width 51 inch light is bush wacking. A lot of trails I use are grown in on the sides, meaning the edges of the roof hit a lot of brush. Other wise I would love a 50 inch light bar. Damn, I could light up tomorrow with that puppy!!! Good luck with the install, post a picture when your done..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, 14 gauge is fine for this type of light. I used 14 on my 144 watt light, and 14 gauge on another side X side with a 244 watt light. I used 16 gauge on my small back up cube lights.
My only caution with a full width 51 inch light is bush wacking. A lot of trails I use are grown in on the sides, meaning the edges of the roof hit a lot of brush. Other wise I would love a 50 inch light bar. Damn, I could light up tomorrow with that puppy!!! Good luck with the install, post a picture when your done..
It says its 51" but I bet it's actually 50". I'll find out Tuesday! I figured for the price, I'll try it and because who knows it could be an awesome bar or it could be a complete fail but its fulfilled by Amazon so I can return it if it's crappy. I've seen quite a few have good luck with these chinese/ebay lights so I'm willing to give it a shot.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So while I wait for goodies for the Ranger to arrive, I decided to move my rear pod lights. I saw that the Canvas doors used those rear attachment points so what I did was mounted the lights where the two bolts go through to hold the roof on. It was nearly a perfect fit! I actually had to grind down the bolts just a little to make them fit in the bracket the pod lights came with. But I didn't have to drill any holes into the plastic and bolts were plenty long enough.

I haven't ran the wiring yet because I don't have the wire yet! Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday. But I thought I'd share a picture. It's really a great spot for them and they won't be sticking out the sides as much as they were before. The only thing is that it might make it slightly more difficult to take the window in/out but I haven't tried yet, it might be fine.

My friend gave me this cool punisher emblem, couldn't figure out where it put it so I put it on the roof, the spot was just asking for something lol.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
I put a 40 inch lightbar on top of my roof. It came with everything need to install. I didn't like the harness, as I
wanted a good rocker switch in the dash. The 40 inch lightbar gives off more light than you can imagine. When
you look for the lightbar choose one that uses 180 watts of power vs 240... You will save a lot on battery usage.
I shopped online and the total cost of lightbar and harness was under $68.00. The 40 inch lightbar is less prone
to damage to low hanging branches, and I should know as I am rough on my Ranger, taking it into places

unknown to common man.

Reactions: nerwin

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put a 40 inch lightbar on top of my roof. It came with everything need to install. I didn't like the harness, as I
wanted a good rocker switch in the dash. The 40 inch lightbar gives off more light than you can imagine. When
you look for the lightbar choose one that uses 180 watts of power vs 240... You will save a lot on battery usage.
I shopped online and the total cost of lightbar and harness was under $68.00. The 40 inch lightbar is less prone
to damage to low hanging branches, and I should know as I am rough on my Ranger, taking it into places

unknown to common man.
The one I got is probably to big. I'll most likely return this one and get a smaller one but we'll see. It's pretty compact single row light bar so if I can't get it to work, I'll get smaller.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
I don't know if you bought your lightbar yet but I purchased my 40 incher for about 35 dollars. It came with the mount. I didn't
like the harness, so ordered a better harness that has a rocker sw so it would fit into my switch cluster. Several of my friends
wanted one as well, and they bought a similar one for their machines. I have a total of $68 dollars spent

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if you bought your lightbar yet but I purchased my 40 incher for about 35 dollars. It came with the mount. I didn't
like the harness, so ordered a better harness that has a rocker sw so it would fit into my switch cluster. Several of my friends
wanted one as well, and they bought a similar one for their machines. I have a total of $68 dollars spent
I did get the 51" light bar. It will fit with the EMP brackets as the EMP ones allow for 1" adjustment. And the bar itself is 50" not really 51". I did test it out using battery charger and boy it sure is bright for being one row LEDs. It's insane. It seems to be made well, everything is stainless steel and there seems to be a rubber seal all the way around. But I have yet to mount it and wire it.

It's quiet too, no hum or buzzing noise.

Like you, I'm not big fan of the included wire harness, though it doesn't seem to be bad quality. I'm going to make my own with some the extra wire I have with 12ga. Though I won't have a choice but to run 14ga to the roof. It won't be far anyways. I love that the wire coming out of the light bar is behind the lightbar and not on the side like some are which makes it cleaner look because I'll be able to run the wire under the roof and won't even see the wire! Kind of slick really.

The question will be how long it lasts, so we'll see this winter when I use it at night mainly for plowing which honestly, I don't plow TOO often at night but it will be nice to see everything when I do need it for those bad storms.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
I bought a really good harness with rocker switch for $18 dollars... Better than making your own.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nerwin, let's see the pictures of the installation.
The lightbar install has be delayed. I ended returning the bar, it was just too big and saw I ended up getting another one but it's only 40" - Still single row which I prefer and usings way less watts/amps. I'm just going to mount it on the roof instead of using brackets. I think this will be fine.

I did however do some other work like installing winch and switches..etc. I'll make a separate post for that. So keep an eye out!

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
You will find the 40 give far more light than you expect, and I know you will be happy. It
will mount to your sport roof easy, and with the included brackets.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
BTW I love that Punisher decal on the rear of your roof.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW I love that Punisher decal on the rear of your roof.
Thanks!

So I got the lightbar installed and it works wonderful.

It's a Arsenal Off Road 39" 7D Diamond Pro CREE single row light bar. http://a.co/d/cg8Hp05

I bought it on Amazon for $130. Well worth it. It's pretty dang bright for what it is. All the hardware was stainless steel. Decent mounts too.

It doesn't make any buzzing noise and surprisingly, it doesn't get hot. In the pictures its angled downward, I just didn't adjust it until it got dark out so that's why they look like that. But I drove around the house at night for a good half hour with it on. No issues and wires stayed cold so looks I did something right! :)

You can also see I installed the hard coat vented window too.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably not THE best example. I have a video I'm working on but I'll get to that at some point anyways I wanted to share a couple pictures of the lightbar working.

Here is a shot of the LED headlights only

and here it is with the light bar on

It's way better in person but I coulden't believe it how much light that 40" single row light bar put out. Impressive!! When I upgraded the headlights to LED, that was impressive alone but now the light bar make those look dim!

Man it's going to be nice plowing at night with all this light. Plowing on the ATV wasn't too bad but because the Ranger is lot bigger, you definitely need the extra light so you don't run into things haha.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
That looks pretty darn good to me, and it looks just about like mine. Turn off

the lightbar after you have been using it on the trails for a short while, and go
back to the normal headlights, and you immediately think something is wrong.
There is just so much difference. Good job....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts