Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my RZR is in the shop because the gas guage shows empty when there is still a half a tank of gas... I thought I was going to run out while trail riding because the guage was flashing but when I got to the gas station, it only took 2.8 gallons to fill it up...

The dealer is telling me that polaris wont authorize a new sending unit because it is a common problem and its normal !!

I need to know if anyone else is having this problem??? Please let me know either way so I can show this to the Polaris dealer... I cant believe that everyone else is having this problem and not complaigning to the dealers...

I also get a bad gas smell while riding, but I dont see any leaks...

Thanks for your help..

Rough44

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There seems to be a few answers here.

I don't notice what my gauge says and don't think I would trust it any way. I'm in a little different circumstance than most because we never go much more then 35-40 miles on any day and I always start with it full.

Others might jump in here but my attitude is pretty solid in that if it is not working right then Polaris ought to fix it and your dealer is telling you something pretty valuable in the long run, FIND A NEW DEALER!!!!!

If when you say you smell gas, it could be the burnt fumes from the exhaust then that is pretty common especially if you have a full windshield. Go to Advanced auto and get 90 degree elbow for $5 and use the bolt that holds the spark arrestor in to fasten it. I have pics posted here in either the RZR section or the Tech and mod section showing it and giving the size you need. Think it is 1 1/2" ID elbow.

I don't get any raw gas smell in mine ever and the elbow just about stops the exhaust fumes.

Gary

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm on my fourth RZR and all have worked well, as for gas smell, never. here's a pic of what I did to one that has a spare tire as the sound would reflect back off the tire and into the cab, this put the exhaust sound down and out so it's not loud anymore.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gas guage being off is a normal problem I have the same thing on my 800&500 Sportmans. When I picked up my RZR I was piss at dealer becuse the guage was on E but when I went to put gas in it only put 2 gals to fill. :eek:

Cloud9

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you smell raw gas it could also be the air filter box cap not tight or a loose hose from the carburetor or engine. The gas tank also has a vent tube you might check. The indicator float inside the gas tank could also be corroded from condensation in the gas tank causing incorrect readings. try a little marvel mystery engine oil to see if that helps. Stay away from ethanol fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts