Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have a 2019 Northstar and i have upgraded the clutch to a Gilomen clutch last year. Last week we had a inch of snow on the road and when i slowed down and i was not braking, it started to go sideways. I was going like 25-30 mph and yes the roads were slick. Does anybody else have this problem or is the back end just so light i should put some sand bags in the back?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok, i have a 2019 Northstar and i have upgraded the clutch to a Gilomen clutch last year. Last week we had a inch of snow on the road and when i slowed down and i was not braking, it started to go sideways. I was going like 25-30 mph and yes the roads were slick. Does anybody else have this problem or is the back end just so light i should put some sand bags in the back?
The issue is the back is geared faster than the front, unlike other 4 wheel vehicles. Toxic put me into a Brutus front differential that made a great difference, you select 4 wheel its in 4 wheel. You can drive in a straight line on ice and snow, still need some caution.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i bought the complete P90XT upgrade primary clutch from Gilomen.Since i have your attention, i to have the annoying clunking sound when i take off, do you think a engagement spacer that Gilomen sells would help with this annoying problem?

·
Registered
591 Posts
i bought the complete P90XT upgrade primary clutch from Gilomen.Since i have your attention, i to have the annoying clunking sound when i take off, do you think a engagement spacer that Gilomen sells would help with this annoying problem?
No....it will just raise the engagement and make it worse. What weights are you running in the xt?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like the engagement comes in around 1300-1400 rpms. I think i will take the cover off this weekend and see what weights are on it and check the spring color.

·
Registered
591 Posts
That's about as low as you can go with the engagement. Surprised it's clunking bad for you. While the cover is off, pull the belt. Scotch Brite the sides of the belt in hot soapy water. Blow both clutches out with compressed air.

Hunterworks sells a belt for our machine that works well. It's a thicker belt that has more contact with the sheaves and smooths engagement a bit. It's the only other belt I'd use besides OE.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After living in Alaska for 31 years and driving mainly 4wd vehicles and my trusty razor I have found that MANY time the rear tires get a larger part of the engine torque and braking during decelleration. This will cause the rear to start to come around sometimes, especially if the road is slightly off camber which is very possible. Sigh! now I sit in Idaho waiting for my new Northstar to be built. There is a light at the end of the tunnel though. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts