Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people from out of state ride their UTV or ATV in Idaho. This is the new rules and the link to the site that shows the new laws and FAQ. http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv/vehicleservices/restrictedvehiclefaqs.htm#3
Idahos law states that as long as the vehicle is registered in your own state and you can prove out of state residency (a drivers license) You can operate your vehicle in Idaho for a period of less than 30 days. After 30 days you are supposed to register the vehicle with the state of Idaho.

Registration Information

1. I am an Idaho resident and heard that 'restricted vehicle' plates are going to be required on my off-highway motorbike, ATV or UTV. Is this true?

Answer - Yes. On and after January 1st, 2009, all Idaho owners of motorbikes, ATVs and UTVs must purchase and display a 'restricted vehicle' plate that is validated with the display of a current Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (IDPR) OHV registration sticker on the plate itself. Residents must have both the restricted plate and a current IDPR OHV registration to operate their restricted vehicles on public lands.

The restricted plates themselves can only be obtained at your local County Assessor Motor Vehicle Office. The plate is also required to be reissued every seven (7) years which can only occur at the county motor vehicle offices.

The IDPR OHV registration sticker which validates the plate for use is issued each year and can be renewed at any IDPR vendor after calendar year 2009. Idaho residents will be required to show the registration document for their restricted plates when renewing in subsequent years.

Exemptions do exist for motorbikes with a displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or less and vehicles used exclusively for agricultural or snow removal purposes.

2. What is an ATV?

Answer - In Idaho: "All-terrain vehicle" or "ATV" means any recreational vehicle with three (3) or more tires, weighing under nine hundred (900) pounds, fifty (50) inches or less in width, having a wheelbase of sixty-one (61) inches or less, traveling on low-pressure tires of ten (10) psi or less, has handlebar steering and a seat designed to be straddled by the operator. Reference Idaho Code 49-101(10)
Go to Top

3. What is a UTV?
Answer - In Idaho: "Utility type vehicle (UTV)" means any recreational motor vehicle other than an ATV, motorbike or snowmobile as defined in section 67-7101, Idaho Code, designed for and capable of travel over designated unpaved roads, traveling on four (4) or more low-pressure tires of twenty (20) psi or less, maximum width less than seventy-four (74) inches, maximum weight less than two thousand (2,000) pounds, or having a wheelbase of ninety-four (94) inches or less. Utility type vehicle does not include golf carts, vehicles specially designed to carry a disabled person, implements of husbandry as defined in section 49-110(2), Idaho Code, or vehicles otherwise registered under title 49, Idaho Code. Reference Idaho Code 49-122(8)

Utility vehicles also have minimum size restrictions. A UTV cannot be smaller than the maximum size of an ATV.

4. What is a motorbike and why is it different than a motorcycle?
Answer - A motorbike is a two-wheeled vehicle that is not originally manufactured for use on public roadways which limits its use to off road environments. Generally, motocross, trials, and enduro motorbikes fall within this category of vehicle.

A motorcycle is a two or three wheeled vehicle that was originally manufactured for use on public roadways and can be operated both on and off road, and which meets the federal motor vehicle safety standards for motorcycles.

5. Why do I have to purchase a 'restricted vehicle' license plate?
Answer - A law was passed during the 2008 legislative session that reclassifies ATVs, motorbikes, and UTV’s operated within Idaho as restricted vehicles. These “restricted vehicles” must display the restricted vehicle plate which is validated by the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation Off-Highway registration sticker. Residents are required to have both the plate and the validation sticker to operate on public lands & roads where allowed in the state of Idaho.

6. Where CAN'T I operate my restricted vehicle?
Answer - Restricted vehicles cannot operate on any state highway, on any interstate highway, or on any controlled access roadway. Crossing a state highway is only permitted at locations authorized and approved by the Idaho Transportation Department’s board. Approved state highway crossing locations require installed signs designating the approved location. Vehicles using an approved crossing location must cross the road at 90 degrees to the roadway. Traveling down any state highway is prohibited.

7. Where CAN I operate my restricted vehicle?
Answer - As of January 1, 2009, restricted vehicles can operate on county roads, paved or otherwise, unless a political subdivision (county, city, highway district, etc, or a state or federal land manager), takes action to prohibit the operation of these vehicles on specific roads or sections of roads within their jurisdiction. Signs are to be posted on any section of county road way where operation is prohibited.

Designated OHV riding areas, areas open to cross country motorized travel and designated motorized trail systems will also require both the 'restricted vehicle' plate and the IDPR OHV registration sticker.

8. Why do I have to display this new restricted vehicle plate and why can’t we just rely on the sticker as we did in past years?
Answer - The requirement for the plates on restricted vehicles is mandated to enhance law enforcement operations. The restricted plate provides all levels of law enforcement an easier method to quickly determine the validity of the registration and the identification and ownership of the vehicle in question.

9. Will I need to title my vehicle?
Answer - Yes. In order to receive a ‘restricted vehicle’ plate, your vehicle must be titled in your name. If you have not previously titled your vehicle, you will be required to do so unless you have a motorbike or ATV you purchased before January 1, 2009, or you have a UTV purchased before July 1, 2006. You will need to bring ownership documents with you to register. Include any signed title from the seller, manufacturer’s certificate of origin, prior registration, and bills of sale you may have. Applicable sales tax will also be due. See more specific requirements under "Titles" FAQs.

10. How big is the 'restricted vehicle' license plate?
Answer - The plate will be the same size and made from the same material as the current, red, white and blue motorcycle plate. The 'restricted vehicle' plate will be white with black lettering and must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. Restricted plates cannot be personalized.

11. What happened to the $10.00 OHV registration sticker?
Answer - The OHV registration sticker has been resized to fit on the 'restricted vehicle' plate. The sticker must be displayed on the restricted vehicle plate. The sticker will be valid for one year, renewable annually at any Idaho recreation registration vendor, County Assessor Motor Vehicle Offices or Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (IDPR) service center. The fee remains at $10.00 and is distributed in the same manner it always has been.

In 2009, OHV registration stickers can only be obtained at a County Assessor Motor Vehicle Office.

For street legal motorcycles and converted motorbikes operating off-road, please see question number 13.

12. Do I need both a 'restricted vehicle' plate and OHV registration sticker?
Answer - Yes. Exemptions include motorbikes with a displacement of 50ccs or less and vehicles used exclusively for agricultural or snow removal purposes.

13. I converted my motorbike to be compliant with Federal Motorcycle Safety Standards of a motorcycle and already have a red, white and blue motorcycle plate on it from IDAHO TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT. Does this mean I now need two plates on my bike?
Answer - No. Only one plate is necessary. To ride on trails, you will still need the $10.00 OHV sticker and must affix it to your existing motorcycle license plate. This is in addition to the current motorcycle license plate registration sticker provided by IDAHO TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT with the motorcycle plate.

14. My motorbike did not come with a bracket for mounting a license plate, what do I do?
Answer – You will need to find a source for plate brackets from a dealer, an aftermarket manufacturer, or you may have to make them yourself.

The display of license plates is outlined in Idaho Code 49-428 which states - DISPLAY OF PLATE AND STICKERS ......

(1) (a) The license plate assigned to a motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle, utility type vehicle, motorbike or semitrailer and the license plate assigned to a motor vehicle operated by a manufacturer, repossession agent or dealer shall be attached to the rear.

For the purposes of this title, the license plates together with the registration stickers shall be considered as license plates for the year designated on the registration sticker.

(2) Every license plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned to prevent the plate from swinging, be at a height not less than twelve (12) inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, be in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible, and all registration stickers shall be securely attached to the license plates and shall be displayed as provided in section 49-443(4), Idaho Code.

15. I own an ATV or UTV and already have a red, white and blue motorcycle plate on it from IDAHO TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT. Can I continue to operate with the motorcycle plate?
Answer - No. On January1, 2009 all motorbikes, ATVs and UTVs must have both the 'restricted vehicle' license plate and a valid OHV registration sticker. Motorcycles and motorbikes that have been converted to motorcycles are the only vehicles that can legally continue to operate in Idaho with motorcycle plates. Visit your local County Assessor’s Motor Vehicle Office to find “Idaho’s” requirements for converting a motorbike to a motorcycle for operation on all roadways. These requirements are listed on an ITD-3018 form which is only available at your local county auto-licensing office.

16. How does this new law affect nonresidents?
Answer - Nothing was changed to the nonresident registration requirements. Nonresidents are not required to register in Idaho unless they have operated within the state for more than 30 days. IDPR OHV registration stickers will be available for purchase at all Idaho recreation registration vendors, County Assessor Motor Vehicle Offices and at any IDPR Service Centers. Individuals must show proof of non-residency at time of purchase (such as an out-of-state driver’s license).

17. Does this law allow kids to ride on roads?
Answer - No. When traveling on roads, operators of a motorbike, ATV or UTV must have a valid driver’s license, carry liability insurance and have a vehicle equipped with the required equipment to do so.

18. What required equipment must I have on my motorbike, ATV or UTV to travel on a road?
Answer - The required equipment to operate on county roads includes a working brake light, a horn audible at 200’, headlight and taillight after dark or during poor visibility, helmet under the age of 18, and a mirror showing roadway 200' behind the vehicle. For more information contact your local law enforcement agency or access the IDPR website at - www.idahoparks.org.

19. Where do I obtain 'restricted vehicle' license plates and stickers in 2009?
Answer - On January 1st, 2009 you will ONLY be able to purchase the 'restricted vehicle' license plates and OHV registration stickers from County Assessor Motor Vehicle Offices.

20. What do I need to take with me to obtain both 'restricted vehicle' license plates and stickers?
Answer - You will need to have your vehicle identification number (VIN) with you if it is currently titled in Idaho. If your vehicle wasn’t titled in Idaho, you will need to contact your County Assessor Motor Vehicle Offices and begin the titling process with the IDAHO TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT.

21. Where do I go to renew my OHV sticker in 2010?
Answer - All IDPR registration vendors including County Assessor Motor Vehicle Offices, OHV dealers and other businesses that sell OHV registration stickers will be able to issue the OHV renewal stickers.

22. Are there notable benefits to House Bill 602 and this new restricted vehicle program?
Answer - In short, yes. The bill provides many new access opportunities for OHV recreationists that didn’t exist previously. Where restricted vehicles can operate should be consistently interpreted on a statewide basis. What a restricted vehicle needs in the way of equipment to operate within this county road environment should be also be consistently interpreted statewide.

23. Where can I operate my motorbike if its engine has a displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or less?
Answer - Though motorbikes such as these cannot receive a restricted vehicle plate or sticker, they can be operated anywhere off-highway where larger motorbikes requiring restricted plates and stickers can be operated. They are not to be operated on highways.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts