Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2022 Ranger 1000 has 6 cup holders which is in excess of my needs. I plan to replace the 2 cup holders in the upper dash, ie this part:
Automotive tire Rectangle Bumper Composite material Synthetic rubber

I am building a backup camera, ie something like this (I have not settled on a final design yet):
Rectangle Graphics software Line Screenshot Font

I have a 7-inch display in the front portion...but the rear portion seems to be "dead space".

QUESTION: I welcome any ideas regarding how to put the rear portion of this space to better use. Any ideas?

PS I suspect some may find a backup camera silly, but I am old and one wrong twist can cause back problems.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2017 Ranger Crew Northstar 6" lift 15" wheels with 32's
124 Posts
nice spot for extra light switches?

Reactions: Robot Obsession

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well now I have a new problem...I am out of space. I would like to incorporate all of the above ideas LOL.

CrazyElecE & brmccolley the wireless phone charger is especially appealing because I always empty my pockets prior to riding, otherwise I tend to lose stuff on our rough terrain. Also, I have never built a wireless / inductive charger, so that sounds like a fun project....more to come.

Spaz "old school" is right up my alley (for an old guy).

philztoy the irony of your idea to add more switches is funny because I told my wife I am only "adding two things"...and right now I'm out of space for switches LOL.

BigDaddyKong & langmotorsports I may combine your ideas of a phone holder and GPS. We have family visit the farm and like to ride. The trail network can be confusing how to get back to the barn. Good thinkin'.

PS langmotorsports, I think I have been to an event that you raced, unless I am confusing you with someone else.

I just installed the LCD screen in the dash (looks great), but I am stepping back to rethink how to make this "dead space" modular / flexible to change (depending on the driver, incorporate most of your ideas, etc).

Finally, I very much appreciate each of you taking the time to help me, thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you going to print that panel or how will you construct it? Looking forward to the pictures of what you come up with.

Reactions: Robot Obsession

·
Registered
32 Posts
You could put one of these to the right of your new center area, and keep the center area for the other suggestions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Are you going to print that panel or how will you construct it? Looking forward to the pictures of what you come up with.
I build all of my own stuff. It costs more than buying...but building power electronics and fabricating is just a hobby for me (when it comes to my truck or farm equipment). I am not good at painting / finishing, tho...much to learn.

I typically construct things using a CNC machine...but in this case I will likely just keep the 3D printed version that I have. Why? I am already thinking of ripping it out and building an interactive touch screen. You probably get the idea, I never finish anything because I am always iterating. Again, I enjoy building things.

So here are the pix, keep in mind I only have the front complete. Also, I am currently building the reverse camera, so that part is not finished either:

Hood Automotive design Bumper Office equipment Automotive exterior

Gadget Auto part Gas Display device Multimedia

Automotive design Computer Personal computer Gadget Personal luxury car

Most of my parts are hidden under body panels, so I am new to finish work. For example, this is how it comes off the printer and I use auto body techniques to finish (let the laughter begin at the following pic of my auto body skills LOL):

Wood Table Hardwood Gas Bumper

Finally, I have total of six 3D printed parts installed on the machine, that serve all kinds of purposes.

Thanks again for everyones' help

·
Registered
124 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
890 Posts
What material are you using? ABS? I've read acetone will smooth abs prints out.

Excellent work on your prints sir.

How's about a Hurst pistol grip or T handle shifter? 🤔

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looks good in my book! But I suck at finish work as well and my printing so far has been limited to PLA so I wouldn't trust it to hold up. I grew up with 2D CAD so drawing 3D stuff and getting quality prints is still the level I'm at. I wish I would have payed more attention to my ME friends in college and learned Solidworks with them, but as an EE I got focused more in my own work and 2D CAD was sufficient for our uses at the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Spaz, I have used ABS in the past, with a smoothing agent...with decent results. For this I am using PETG. PETG has a Glass Transition Temperature of 190 degrees F, so that will work for my needs. If I lived in Florida/Arizona, etc I would probably use something like ABS, or a higher GTT material and CNC. PS you are full of ideas LOL....now every time I look at my shifter, I think what I could make for it. Thanks for that idea too...I'm open to anything except a cup holder.

CrazyElecE...being a double E, now I know what your login name stands for LOL. I concur, PLA is great to quickly prototype but most of what I print is PETG. I really torture the things I print with intense vibration and heat...and it works great. If you know 2D modeling, then you should try Autodesk's FUSION 360. You will be up and running in 10 minutes, creating complex objects. Online tutorials abound. FUSION 360 is free to educators, and I think they also let hobbyist use it free too, altho I am no expert. FUSION 360 is what I used to design all my Ranger parts (backup camera, interior cab light, power electronics bus plate, switch plate and flood light leveler). FUSION 360 is, hands down, the most superior CAD modeling tool available IMHO.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah, I'm learning with F360. It is definitely powerful and similar. But I came up with Autocad 12 and 14 and used keyboard shortcuts (ie. C for circle, L for line) so this stuff is like learning all over again. I'm getting there, just slowly.

·
Registered
2022 Northstar Ultimate camo crew (patiently waiting)
215 Posts
Well now I have a new problem...I am out of space. I would like to incorporate all of the above ideas LOL.

CrazyElecE & brmccolley the wireless phone charger is especially appealing because I always empty my pockets prior to riding, otherwise I tend to lose stuff on our rough terrain. Also, I have never built a wireless / inductive charger, so that sounds like a fun project....more to come.

Spaz "old school" is right up my alley (for an old guy).

philztoy the irony of your idea to add more switches is funny because I told my wife I am only "adding two things"...and right now I'm out of space for switches LOL.

BigDaddyKong & langmotorsports I may combine your ideas of a phone holder and GPS. We have family visit the farm and like to ride. The trail network can be confusing how to get back to the barn. Good thinkin'.

PS langmotorsports, I think I have been to an event that you raced, unless I am confusing you with someone else.

I just installed the LCD screen in the dash (looks great), but I am stepping back to rethink how to make this "dead space" modular / flexible to change (depending on the driver, incorporate most of your ideas, etc).

Finally, I very much appreciate each of you taking the time to help me, thanks.
I raced dirt modifieds way back in the day before my wife came up with the silly idea I should quit :LOL: ND MN

·
Registered
2020 XP1000 Ride Command
107 Posts
I build all of my own stuff. It costs more than buying...but building power electronics and fabricating is just a hobby for me (when it comes to my truck or farm equipment). I am not good at painting / finishing, tho...much to learn.

I typically construct things using a CNC machine...but in this case I will likely just keep the 3D printed version that I have. Why? I am already thinking of ripping it out and building an interactive touch screen. You probably get the idea, I never finish anything because I am always iterating. Again, I enjoy building things.

So here are the pix, keep in mind I only have the front complete. Also, I am currently building the reverse camera, so that part is not finished either:

View attachment 26861

View attachment 26862

View attachment 26863

Most of my parts are hidden under body panels, so I am new to finish work. For example, this is how it comes off the printer and I use auto body techniques to finish (let the laughter begin at the following pic of my auto body skills LOL):

View attachment 26864

Finally, I have total of six 3D printed parts installed on the machine, that serve all kinds of purposes.

Thanks again for everyones' help

You have some mad skills Sir! That looks fantastic to me. Very well done!
For finish options, look into Cerakote, used a lot in the firearms industry, super durable and very easy to apply. There are definitely colors (several shades of black if I remember correct) that will match to the Ranger interior.

And, if we are voting on a gear shift lever, my vote is for the pistol grip design from an early 70s Mopar, that would fit sweet on the Ranger's shift rod.

I am also interested in anything you have made for your AG stuff! Are you on a AG related forum with info? please share.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts