Polaris Ranger Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
You have some mad skills Sir! That looks fantastic to me. Very well done!
For finish options, look into Cerakote, used a lot in the firearms industry, super durable and very easy to apply. There are definitely colors (several shades of black if I remember correct) that will match to the Ranger interior.

And, if we are voting on a gear shift lever, my vote is for the pistol grip design from an early 70s Mopar, that would fit sweet on the Ranger's shift rod.

I am also interested in anything you have made for your AG stuff! Are you on a AG related forum with info? please share.

Road runner style!
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Window Bumper

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You have some mad skills Sir! That looks fantastic to me. Very well done!
For finish options, look into Cerakote, used a lot in the firearms industry, super durable and very easy to apply. There are definitely colors (several shades of black if I remember correct) that will match to the Ranger interior.

And, if we are voting on a gear shift lever, my vote is for the pistol grip design from an early 70s Mopar, that would fit sweet on the Ranger's shift rod.

I am also interested in anything you have made for your AG stuff! Are you on a AG related forum with info? please share.
You are too kind. The picture makes it look better than it does in real life LOL.

I appreciate the tip for Cerakote. I thought you had to dip or electrostatic-charge to get that type of finish. I will definitely try this. Thanks. I struggle to get a good finish on most things. I am told I am too impatient, and never let the prior step dry LOL.

Regarding the agricultural prints...no, I am not on any forum. I started printing repair parts, and have designed quite a few. I live the country and it takes hours (round trip) to go into town for parts...so a 3D printer can produce small parts faster than I can go get them. I then added some things like a chainsaw mount to my tractor ROPS (I dont have a picture and it's too cold to trek to the barn LOL). We use GMRS radios, so I have a mount for that, etc.

I also add cameras to every vehicle...some to backup, some to see the edge of a row, for a tractor implement that sticks out 10 feet, etc. These items are not that useful, I just enjoy building cameras.
Automotive mirror Vehicle Mode of transport Automotive design Gadget

Then finally, what I put on every vehicle...and make for every one of my neighbors, family and friends (people seem to like it)...but it's more of a novelty. It's a gyroscopic drink holder. I live in a hilly area, and it keeps my can of beer perfectly level regardless of the machines attitude...I have yet to spill a drop. I built it as a joke, but it actually works exceptionally well. It's hard to see but it's the gray item below. PS I am also terrible at taking pix LOL.
Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Tread Machine tool

For the record, this stuff is just a hobby, so everything you see took me an inordinate amount of time to create. I am very slow at this...but that's the nature of a hobby.

·
Registered
2020 XP1000 Ride Command
107 Posts
I live in the country too, and understand the hours in round trips.

Your parts look great man! Sounds like you stay busy and that is good thing!

The cup holder is cool, I think that style is sold at boat stores. They do work excellent. John Deere makes a similar design too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, is it possible to share your Fusion360 File of the center dash? I would like to customize it a bit (Radio-,Switch-holes...) and then print it also

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sorry I went off the grid for awhile.

Here is what I ended up doing: Rather than a backup camera, I turned it into digital rearview mirror.

I was inspired by a current Chevy commercial that shows their camera views. So being able to see if a car is behind me while I am on a road, or keeping an eye on cargo in the bed / trailer, I personally find it useful. More useful than just a backup camera.

I also put it on a switch to turn off at night, or if annoying.

It's only half complete, I hope to now pivot to the front half. Maybe an inductive wireless phone charger - that will take quite a bit of time, as I have never done that before.

TobiV I sure don't mind sharing, but as a warning it takes me years to actually get anything accomplished LOL. It's just a hobby for me in the evenings. The hard part was getting the dash contour, and having it interlock with the existing lock mechanism. If you wanted, I could share the edge, and you just customize everything in between? Or just be insanely patient until I finish it. Right now it's just resting in place...the front piece is just to learn the 3D contours. I have yet to figure out how to affix it all in place.

The camera is now mounted on the top rear of the cab.

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Bumper

Gadget Automotive design Entertainment Gas Display device

·
Registered
5 Posts
First of all, it looks really great!! (y)
I would also be happy with your current status even if it is not finished yet. But if you only want to share parts of it, that's ok too because then I don't have to start from zero.
I know how difficult and time-consuming like this is, especially if its just a hobby.
Let me know how you would like to share it...
Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
TobiV, yes I will post this, and my other 3D printed accessories. Just please be patient, I am slow as I only get to work on this stuff in the evenings after work. I will also plan to post the items I purchased, so if someone doesn't want to customize, they can just 3D print and use as-is. These are all for a 2022 Ranger 1000 premium.

Currently I have designed and 3D printed the following accessories. I will plan to put them on grabCAD.com. I will let you know when they eventually get there:

1. Power bus under the hood, to help organize / label my custom wiring. The real benefit is troubleshooting later.
Hood Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

2. Cab interior light, 3D printed pieces on each side holding LED in place.
Hood Bumper Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

3. Spot light leveling pad - the rotating spotlight (just like a boat uses) sits on the roof (to find downed deer). This keeps the light level on the sloped roof.
Automotive design Output device Automotive lighting Home appliance Gas

4. Keyswitch plate cover, it's really just to match the dash as a black color accent.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Plant Personal luxury car Gas

5. The dash contour and locking mechanism - this is an easy way to test if my design for the Center Console will fit your specific Polaris. You could print the actual center dash piece, but that takes 26 hours. This will print in just a couple hours and serve as a test fitment component.
Hand Human body Wood Auto part Circle

6. ...and of course the 2 center console pieces above.

I am also currently working on the following. items, but they will take forever LOL:

7. Dividers for the space under the passenger seat.

8. A rear overhead console. It holds fans to help keep you cool during summer, a MTX115 GMRS radio (altho could be adapted for a stereo too), etc. This will be ~ 10 separate pieces that assemble into the 18" long final product.
Product Automotive tire Rectangle Font Line

More to come, but it will all take me forever LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I finally am posting my CAD files, if you want to use. IF you do use, please let me know if they work for you. Mine is a 2022 Ranger 1000 Premium.

Here is the test fitment, as you dont want to print the entire thing and learn 26 hours later that it does not fit:

I also welcome any ideas if I did not post the files correctly. This is my first time.

Finally, here is the actual / full solution:

I designed it to use the Pyle 7" LCD screen - it was $35 on Amazon.com. It's currently a digital rearview mirror, but will eventually become an override station once the SxS is converted into a robot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
TobiV, I just uploaded the Fusion Archive format. If that doesn't work, let me know specifically what format you prefer. Then also let me know if the test fitment piece fits on your SxS's interlocking mechanism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed this tablet holder this past weekend. $90 on Amazon. Looks to be good quality, fits the cup holder spot perfectly. It holds the tablet well, although I haven't had it on the trail yet.

Car Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Hood Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

21 - 35 of 35 Posts