Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my daughter has to go another round with braces on her teeth again I had to go cheap for a trailer to haul the Ranger on. I found a Prowler camper trailer that someone had already scrapped the camper off of the frame.

I know it looks like crap( the wife already told me that), but for 100 bucks is has all the parts I need.

I cut some of the back and trimmed the sides down some. I welded in some extra braces the ones that were there were real thin.

I welded channel down both sides to get the width that I need with the expanded metal for the floor and the D rings for tie downs.

Time to come up something for the tail gate / ramp.

This what I ended up with, I was going to use some tube with a rod going through it for the hinges, but I didn't want to mess with the tube warping. I just used some heavy hinged from Tractor Supply and went the easy rout.

It ended up working and with the two different colors of primer and all the rain and rust I'm getting closer.

I think I'll spray it with bed liner I think that might hold up better, but we'll see. I still have a two area at the front of the trailer that I am going to build storage cabinets to hold my camping gear.I should get the tail lights on and some wire run when it dries out. The big project will be figuring out what to do with the electric trailer brakes and how to wire them up.

Some fender mock up so it shouldn't be too much longer as long as the weather isn't crap.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think the operative term here is "It Looked Like Crap".

Looking better with every pick you add so I guess if it gets the job done and you get it finished to your likeing then I wouldn't care what anyone else thinks.

Nice project and it appears to be a perfect fit.

Gary

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary, you put that very nicely. Thanks guy's, hopefully I can get some more done to it tomorrow if the weather is nice.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think a day with a good sandblaster and paint gun will be all it takes to get the red and white off and some black on.

If it was mine I would add a rail all the way around 12 - 15 inches high because a nice utility trailer is a must have item that serves some very usefull purposes. If I ever do another the top rail will be 1" round as opposed to the angle I used that cuts a strap pretty easily. There is no such thing as having enough places to tie off to with the many different loads I carry.

Gary

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about a rail around the trailer, but I was trying to keep the trailer light since I was going to pull it with my Jeeps. I have another trailer with a 8'x3' box on it that I use to haul compost and mulch with.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the trailer to where I can use it anyway I still need a brake controller for the cars and the CJ seamed to handle the trailer very well. I got a stabilizer jack welded on the right rear corner so loading / unloading won't be too hard on the underside of the hitch. Three new 8 ply tires and the spare carrier welded on and some Bearing Buddies added also.

I cleaned up the propane bottle holder and my cooler will fit in the tongue of the trailer.

I still need to build the steel cabinet for the front of the trailer to store my camping gear. I had the Polaris around the neighborhood during the snows this winter so I'm excited to finally get it out to a trail to try it out O0 Even if I still don't have a front drive shaft yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really like this right up! Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and details of the transformation. It looks real good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guy's, the wife is happy about the money I saved and the fact that I will be gone on weekends now. O0

·
Registered
185 Posts
NICE PIC THATS SOME GOOD WORK.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took it to get the Polaris picture taken by the insurance people so that was my first real trip. I do need to get the tongue weight figured out better and I lost one of the Bearing Buddies. :tickedoff: I do think I go lighter on the storage for the front.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I added a couple of storage boxes to hold the camping gear, I did go with the plastic to help keep the weight down. I think I have everything covered now, time to hit the trail( when it stops storming :tickedoff:)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Looks great Gper! Allot different from the first time we saw it!

If you notice the trailer doing the wagging thing while the machine is on then consider adding weight up front.

With the RZRs I hear allot of guys say they have to trailer backwards because the engine is in the rear and not enough tongue weight. I moved my spare tire all the way forward and thats all it needed.

Have fun!

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
Sure looks good! I bought one bigger than I actually needed, but I got to lookin' at it and I think my bluegrass group can fit on it if we ever need a stage for an outside gig.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts