Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new here and need a little help. I haven't been able to find anything current on my issue. I bought a 2020 Ranger Crew 1000. Got the PowerBox Roof audio system and lights built in. Dealership installed it for me. I bought blinkers and installed them myself using a plug and play and they hooked up to the power bar so will not work without the key being on. I haven't had battery issues until i installed a winch. I bought a traveler 3500lb winch from Tractor Supply and installed it. Out of simplicity and short cables, I wired the hot and and ground wires to the power bar where it runs from the battery to under the hood. Thought this would be just as good as if i ran a wire all the way to the battery but I may be wrong. So in doing this, the winch has constant hot and now my battery keeps dying. I bought a power bar wire, the 3 wire cable that hooks to it to add accessories, to see if i can somehow wire the winch to this so that when the key is off, the winch is off. Is this even possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
You wired it wrong. Those plugs on you accessoriy bar under your hood, are just dummy plugs. To make things easier to understand
if you trace things back to the solenoid, there will be two terminals one on the left and one on the right. One side is full time power and
the other is part time. i recommend you connect your larger red wire to the full time side of the solenoid, Next run the other red wire
to the keyed side of on of your Pulse power connectors. To make it easy pick up 6 of these Amazon.com: ALLMOST Pack of 6 Pulse Power Plug Connector, Pigtail for 2018 Polaris Ranger XP1000 & RS1: Automotive What you will need to do is connect
your ground wire to the top pin, and your small red to the middle which is the keyed. The bottom is full time but I don't think it will be
good enough for the amount of amp draw your winch will require. So just hook the keyed and ground to your pulse connector, and the
large red to the solenoid. Once things are hooked up this way your light on your winch switch will stay lit, and the winch will be off until
you key the switch. No more draining your battery. What is good about these plugs I put on is the easy of hookup.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
I hope that was understandable. Any questions don't hesitate to send me an email... I will be here to help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I did buy some of these plugs and did hook up the red switch wire to it and the ground, so we are good there. Although, my switch doesn't stay lit. It only lights up when i press the it in or out. I bought a switch off amazon from mictuning. I may need to double check my wiring to make sure its tight on the ground. I did go ahead and disconnect the winch from the pulse bar and bought some new wire yesterday to run form the winch solenoid to the battery. Hopefully this will help.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
It is pretty easy to check on the solenoid, on one side it will just stay on all the time and the other will come
one when the switch is depressed.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
Your switch wire should just go to the plug on the buss bar. They should only light up
when you turn on your key to the Ranger.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
I might add that you only have to run the large red wire to the solenoid. Run the Ground wire to any
good metal connection you want.

Reactions: stainlessman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey y’all this thread has been very helpful! I still need a little guidance though. I purchased the same traveler 3500 lb winch. Would like to wire it to the pulse bar to avoid any battery issues in the future. The red and black wires go from the winch itself to the solenoid. Then the second set of red and black wires go from the solenoid to the red and black from the pulse bar connector? And my keyed wire from the pulse connector (yellow in my case) is hooked to the rocker switch red wire? Also question on the mounting bracket the one that came with this winch does not look like it will fit what are some good ones?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check the wiring diagram that came with your winch. Get the model of your Ranger and check the KFI website or SuperATV websites for a winch mount.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought my mount from a local atv shop. If they don't have it,then they should be able to order it if they are a Polaris dealer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Winch mounted and wired. I can use the rocker switch to winch our but it will not winch in. I hear the seloniod clicking and it occiassionalky will momentarily go in but wondering if I screwed the wiring up? Any suggestions? Everything I read said dirty or muddy connections but everything is brand new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the wiring is good....most likely a bad contactor or possibly the switch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Going to try new rocker switch. Everything was brand new and all connections were clean and tight I was reading 12v with a volt meter on all contactors. Just weird how it will go out no problem but when I try to winch in ...sometimes I get a clicking sometimes I get an inch pulled in But most time I get nothing. Every troubleshooting thing I’ve read has said bad connection or dirty ports. There are no splices were done beside my rocker switch red to my pulse plug in yellow (keyed) everything was wired from factory

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sometimes on my 4 wheeler i get the same problem but my winch is too big(4000lb) and overloads the charging system. if I leave it idling, it charges and will re-spool the winch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts