Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan is to use the EV (on order) for observing wildlife (kangaroos, emus, deer, wild horse, birds, etc.) in remote Australia (on our property and adjoining National Park).

Is the EV quiet enough or does it scare everything about as much as a conventional Ranger?

·
Registered
174 Posts
My plan is to use the EV (on order) for observing wildlife (kangaroos, emus, deer, wild horse, birds, etc.) in remote Australia (on our property and adjoining National Park).

Is the EV quiet enough or does it scare everything about as much as a conventional Ranger?
I have gotten very close to deer, turkey, and other wildlife on trails and logging roads by moving extremely slow, stopping, glassing and listening. The EV does not have the noise/scent associated with gas engine models, exhaust and gas fumes. i have a complete hard cab with a fold down window that contains my scent. The biggest challenge will be to manage all the squeaks that come from the suspension. The EV is heavy. Rolling over sticks and limbs will break them making noise. Many of us with EV's have gone with after market bushings used on the suspension points and grease with a good quality waterproof grease that pretty much quietens the EV. You will notice operating at higher speeds, a humming/whinning of the 30HP drive motor that will spook animals .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's very encouraging! Thanks for your comments. A lot of the time I will be on rocky 4WD tracks or grass, so road noise will be an issue. I need to find out what I ordered re the cabin - I don't think it was totally enclosed...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes it is way better than a gas ranger. I am constantly getting within 40 to 50 yards of deer and turkey and a lot of them just look at me like their confused as to why I’m not make any noise and it’s very funny to watch. I read a comment once like the following “Picture a circle and your buggy is the center of the circle. In every direction from the center your sound impacts the environment. Now extend this circle maybe 300-500 yards every direction around your buggy. This is the noise impact of a typical gas vehicle. Now picture that same circle but only going 40 to 50 yards in every direction around a electric buggy. It’s a totally different experience. You do have to maintain the suspension as it does tend to get a little noisy from mud and water. But I have found using a Lucas marine grease really helps the issue. Their revised formula is now made of calcium sulfonate and is much more impervious to mud and water. Also keep the hinges and latches on the bed lubricated as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great to hear! I have a noisy V8 Toyota Landcruiser and I reckon the circle would be 1000+ yards! It is fun but it scares animals in the next county!

I use an e-bike in some places and get quite close - I have seen that puzzled look you describe! What they are seeing just does not compute.

Thanks for your comments and tips about the grease!

·
Registered
2020 Ranger 570 Full Size Crew, OEM top, aftermarket front and rear windshields, Maxxis Ceros tires.
309 Posts
I believe every one of these stories about how quiet "E" vehicles are. But it doesn't explain why we have to go cold on the range at the rifle club to let deer pass across the firing line before we can resume firing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I believe every one of these stories about how quiet "E" vehicles are. But it doesn't explain why we have to go cold on the range at the rifle club to let deer pass across the firing line before we can resume firing.
Two points to that. Number one and most importantly it really depends on the deer / wildlife and how accustom they are to the noise in any given environment. Being a rifle club I’m sure there’s some shooting that goes on time to time so it’s not something that’s out of the norm when it’s happening. Now picture going somewhere that’s it’s mostly always quiet and all the sudden this gas powered vehicle runs through the property. The animals see this more as more of a threat as it’s not the norm for that area.

Secondly, does and young bucks tend to put up with a little more human activity than a mature buck. Unless it’s the norm like at your gun club mature bucks will put up with very little human activity in a given area or go completely nocturnal which is just as bad. The only time this doesn’t hold true is possibly in the off-season (not hunting season) or during the rut when they tend to lose their minds anyway. Since I focus on mature bucks I tend to do everything possible to stay as low impact as possible while in the field. Doesn’t mean I will be successful but it does help to improve my odds.

To your point on shooting and seeing deer I do have a funny experience to share. So last summer my father and I were shooting handguns behind our barn. I think we made enough noise for a small army. Then just as we finished and started cleaning up out walks a cougar only 40 to 50 yards from us. I knew we had some bobcats in the area so my first thought was hey that’s a bobcat. But almost immediately I realized that cat was way too big and he had a long tail. I couldn’t believe my eyes. My father and I looked at each other like are you seeing what I’m seeing? We just watched it walk slowly off toward the pond. It didn’t seem scared, excited or anything just walked nonchalantly down to the water. To this day I have no idea what it was thinking and did the guns make it get up or was it just thirsty going to get some water. As far as we know no one has seen it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's very encouraging! Thanks for your comments. A lot of the time I will be on rocky 4WD tracks or grass, so road noise will be an issue. I need to find out what I ordered re the cabin - I don't think it was totally enclosed...
If you buy a rear glass and a fold down front plexiglass of glass windshield, all you need is the poly door kit to have an enclosed cab. Very pricey from Ranger but they have turned my RV into an all weather, scent reduced, mobile hunting machine. Enjoy your EV!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

Aussie here’s my 2cents on wildlife especially hunting deer. Hunting and using the EV for transport is a great advantage. The noise level and distance that noise travels is greatly reduced. It is not silent. I am assuming where you are it is dry most of the time. In MS where I hunt the later 2/3rds of the season is going to be wet. Silence is no longer a advantage. Riding thru mud and especially water or mud holes makes a lot of noise. The area I hunt is only 700 acres. Guys here love them for turkey hunting. And then there’s my brother in law, when he comes to hunt with me we both ride in together. Me on my EV and he on his Honda 700 so there you go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts