Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a way to keep my front wheels locked in, instead of waiting for a back tire to spin a little. It may sound rediculous, but in certain situations, it would be very beneficial if your front tires were already driving. Anybody have a fix or a mod, or a hub replacement option ?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I wish I knew! I agree that it would be great to have the fronts engaged without having to spin a rear wheel. I've subscribed to this thread so if a solution shows up here I will hear about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi guys , i'm from australia and just bought a ranger diesel and would also like to lock the front wheels in. i know this is an old thread but thought i'd revive it, someone may have come up with a solution

·
Registered
31 Posts
AWD vs 4x4

Well we got Polaris and we settled for on demand 4 wheel drive. The 500 Sportsman threw me into a nasty root system while climbing up a hill and I watched it rolling down that hill. Now my 2012 800 ranger has the same thing. I too would like to lock up the front wheels instead of waiting for and when the rears spin. Fortunatly I had the downhill engine brake installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Momentary Switch?

I've thought about this problem, and I've looked at the Electrical Diagram, and scratched my head (while troubleshooting an AWD electric fault).

So, the Ranger (my 99 at least) uses ground side switching, which is to say, that during normal operation there will be OCV from the regulator through the AWD coils, and back up to the switch, which then Connects the Ground.

It should then work, if you took a momentary switch, wired one end of the switch to Ground, with the other terminal having the grey wire spliced in (and continue on to the "regular" AWD switch).

The switch would have to be momentary, to avoid burning the coils.

Basically, under normal operation, the voltage would go battery-AWD coil-AWD switch-transmission selection switch-transmission "slip sensor" then Ground.

By adding the momentary switch to ground in parallel before the AWD switch on the grey wire, it creates a direct path to ground and skips the round-about "Conditional path" to ground that it normally goes through. Effectively, causing a ground fault that you have control of.

I might give this a go this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Riot Act has been read

Now, I don't want y'all to go blame me when you burn out your coils. I haven't tested this, even if it should theoretically be correct.

It should be said, I'm neither an Engineer or an Electrician, I'm just a clever bastard who has a barn, and too much time on his hands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, grounding the grey wire won't do that. I looked more carefully at the wiring diagram, and I'm thinking that creating an "open" in the grey and white wire with a normally closed, momentary switch, might do the exact same thing. (turn on the AWD Coil on demand)

(I traced the wires around the chart, and I'm pretty sure that I've got it now...)

Now that I've got going on this, I'm going to have to guinea pig my own damn machine. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
2,274 Posts
Forget the electrics. It kicks in mechanically. All the electrics do is energize the electromagnet that holds the roller cage in position so the rollers will lock up the sprag mechanically. When you push the AWD button there is continuous voltage to the electromagnet, as long as it is in gear and running.
There is nothing you can do to make it stay locked in as long as you use the hilliard unit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have taken the front diff. apart a couple of times to see how this could be done. The mechanical portion seems to be centrifical force that pulls the rollers out to engage. Perhaps if you put a metal tube sleeve on the inside of the roller cage that constantly pushes them out therefore engaging the hillard constantly. Any thoughts...

·
Super Moderator
2,274 Posts
It doesn't work by centrifugal force. The space that the rollers ride in has a slight v at the front and the back. As long as the magnet is turned off the rollers ride in the middle of the slot. Energizing the electromagnet causes the cage to push the rollers up into either the front v or the rear v according to the direction the carrier is turning. As long as the carrier goes slower than the front axles the rollers just slide or roll against the carrier and side 'gear'. When the front axle goes slower than the carrier the rollers get pinched in the v and lock up causing the front axle to turn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts