Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm a total newbie and female so not familiar with awd 4x4 talk
We have a farmlet it's not totally flat but not crazy bumpy either what should I be driving it at? turf bottom button or middle button?
And at what speed should I be driving in low and what speed for high?
If I go across my creek can I do in middle button or does it have to be in top button 4x4 i have read manual but it's not that straightforward for these questions any advice would be much appreciated it's a 2020 Polaris ranger 500.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Two issues to consider. #1 is speed and simple, if your going slow or towing then gear shift should be low. Then under 10mph ish.

#2...I leave in turf mode which is bottom on select switch....if you need more traction then switch to middle for rear 2 wheel drive...if in oh shit situation for steep hills or damn I'm gonna get stuck then switch all way up to full 4wd.

If your going up very steep hill then use low gear and 4wd mode.

Just remember to come to a stop before switching either hi/lo or turf/2wd/4wd modes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I like the OH shit situation. I could be having a few of those 😂 thanks heaps for advice😊

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same applies to going down steep hills as far as low gear and 4wd...you will be using engine to slow down and want that spread over all 4 shoes.

The turf mode is fine for most your use unless in snow, mud etc...only 1 rear wheel is churning in turf mode. If you put in 2wd (aka..rear diff lock) both rears spin, which will tear up some grass if turning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know if its where my machine is new, but I found unless I want to drive with both feet, I have to use H when going down steep loose hills. The back tires lock up chattering and it sends me sliding everywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts