Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Im trying something new here, so please bear with me. Im a Training Officer for a Sheriffs Office in Louisiana. Im assigned to the Correctional center, where I also run a Tactical Team. Im certified to teach several different things, and Im not posting this in order for me to brag, but in hopes of maybe starting a network of Officer's helping other Officers. Of my certifications, I hold a Masters Instructors level in both Louisiana POST Corrections and TASER. Im also on TASER's Corrections Board of Advisiors, and I hold a Instructors Certification in NOVA electronic restraints, RedMan"CERT,Baton,& pepperspray" American Red Cross CPR/AED, PPCT and SSGT. If there are anyother Law enforcement on the Forum that I can assist, please feel free to contact me by [email protected] or by cell-318-372-3483.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hi Bob, You can't help me now because I retired from the NY Prison system after 27 years.

I too was an Advanced Weapons & Chemicle Agents Training officer and Certified MPTC training officer with certifications from NYS Dept. of Civil Service, Remington, S&W, Glock and Colt.

Our weapons included the Rem. 870P 12 gauge, S&W Model 10 2&4 inch, Colt AR 15 and we were just getting the Glocks 40s for some facilities as I was counting down the days.

Now I just have a small carpentry business as a side line and pretty much sit around this time of year if I'm not ice fishing or wrenching on my RZR or one of the vehicles.

We never had any Tasers while I was in service but they sure could have saved alot of pain and suffering that I feel now!

Gary

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don't even get mad any more! I do get really happy on the first of every month when they pay me to stay home though!

I think my wife gets a bit POed but she is covered till the day she goes too so not real POed.

My plan was always to collect for as long as it took to earn the retirement. So far, I am on schedule and doing fine with 9 years down and 18 more to go.

I went right from high school in 1970 to the USN and then right to the NY prison system in 1974. I think I hated every minute of it but I sure do love it now.

For those of you just getting started all I will say is work toward a goal and stick to it. What really gets my wife upset is she goes to work 40 hours every week while I sit home and make more and I have our health and life insurance in the bank.

Working for the government sucks but it does have benefits few others can even come close to.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bout the same here....from high school in 70, to USAF till 77, then to a co-op (REA-rural co-op) then in 80 hired on with the same company my dad worked for, been here almost 28 years...Dad was a lineman, so I grew up around em, and that's what Uncle Sam wanted me to do, so I've been 'hookin' for a little over 37 yrs...my only regret, If I'd stayed with co-op, my military time would have counted toward retirement, but the pay would have been lower, both on the job and retirement, where I am, the pay is pretty good, just sometimes the hours stink really bad, and i can't remember the holidays, birthdays etc, that I've missed over the years!! and I can now turn in my paperwork anyday!!

If I'd retired last month, could have drawn just a few dollars shy of $2500/month, but if I go 1 more year, it'll be better, and my ex wife's share will be considerably smaller ;D :D O0

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yep, I could have stayed and still been working now and be a Captain in one of NYs almost 70 prisons.

Mathematically, staying would not have increased final benefit enough to make it worth while and the thought of doing like you and playing hop scotch all over the state did not impress me at all.

What is depressing right now is all the extra cost for fuel and how that is erroding my play money and messing up my plan. I guess everyone is in that same boat so no sense crying about it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
GRAZOR said:
Mathematically, staying would not have increased final benefit enough to make it worth while and the thought of doing like you and playing hop scotch all over the state did not impress me at all
The travel is not too bad, on a regular basis...I'm pretty much at home.....when the storms tear up jack, where ever, in state or out of state within our System (Ark, La, Miss, or Texas) or with another utility, and we are asked for assistance, and the company gets a Storm Team together, well we can usually opt outand stay home (and usually make about as much OT) or go........the pay is good, the wear and tear on the old body is getting harder,.......but the kicker, it builds my multiplier toward retirement goes up..........but the real reason I go, is to get that feeling inside that you have helped people that needed it!!!! There are 2 places I don't think I'll volunteer to go back to work though.....Kansas City, all back yards with 4 fences and 6 dogs..........and New Orleans, I had enough of that place after Katrina hit......worked in East New Orleans and then went to Chalmette, and then back to the Lower 9th ward (as a relief crew in the lower 9th) and they were still dragging bodies out , right by where we were working, and the stench was almost unbearable!!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
GRAZOR said:
I don't even get mad any more! I do get really happy on the first of every month when they pay me to stay home though!

I think my wife gets a bit POed but she is covered till the day she goes too so not real POed.

My plan was always to collect for as long as it took to earn the retirement. So far, I am on schedule and doing fine with 9 years down and 18 more to go.

I went right from high school in 1970 to the USN and then right to the NY prison system in 1974. I think I hated every minute of it but I sure do love it now.

For those of you just getting started all I will say is work toward a goal and stick to it. What really gets my wife upset is she goes to work 40 hours every week while I sit home and make more and I have our health and life insurance in the bank.

Working for the government sucks but it does have benefits few others can even come close to.
Are you like my wife? The days I have off and she has to work and then come home to a messy house. WOW is she ticked when she then has to clean up after me. :tickedoff: After 21 years of marriage, one of these days I will learn.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My wife is pretty used to me and most days the mess is cleaned up before she ever gets home. Other days it looks like a tornado was following me around all day long if I've been in and out of the shop and working on some messy project.

She is almost always happy just to see I have been staying busy and rarely complains about any of it unless I stain the carpet or scratch a table that should not be used as a work bench, then I get it! :knuppel2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ex here too.

Funny, I shoot more tactical events now that when I was on!! I did not realize that what they teach in the academy for basic shooting was WAY TOO ineffective. Once I started shooting IPSC and USPSA matches after I was no longer involved in LE, I was thankful I never got into a shooting!!

I now have a small armory here ;-) Next purchase for me will be a Barrett BMG .50! Thank God Wa.St is still very gun friendly!!

Tony

·
Registered
47 Posts
Papa GLOCK - -

I have a question. I recently purchased my first glock, a G22. I cant figure out for the life of me how to dissassemble the magazine. I push the little button, and the bottom wont slide off because there are two little things on the side of the magazine that keep the bottom from sliding. Can you give me some insight? :-[

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If you are talking about the two plastic tabs about mid way in the slide grove of the base cap, you just have to force the cap over them while depressing the bottom pin. Not easy but it will go. If you squeeze on the sides of the magazine body while depressing the bottom pin it will make it a bit easier to slide off.

I installed a number of the 2+ additions on my own magazines to increase capacities and caused no damage at all.

Gary

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks Gary, those are exactly the tabs I was referring to!

I will give that a try. I was just affraid to force it.
The pin gets pretty scratched up when you are trying to get that off.

Brian

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I use the correct diameter wood dowel. Once the button is pushed in it usually stays up. Then I place the slidable part of the base against a piece of soft pine and lightly tap on the magazine until the base is slid past those tabs.

Those tabs are nothing more then a secondary lock so that no accidental seperation of the base cap can happen.

Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts