Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 NorthStar crew
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First rain since we purchased our new NorthStar back in January. A whopping 1/8”, and the dang roof is already leaking where the two pieces overlap. Since we plan on replacing it later this year or early next year for a Thumper Fab aluminum roof we’re just going to use Lexel and seal like we did on our 18 crew. Can’t believe Polaris Ranger doesn’t just put a single piece roof on these things. Quality control must be non existent!

· Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate
247 Posts
First rain since we purchased our new NorthStar back in January. A whopping 1/8”, and the dang roof is already leaking where the two pieces overlap. Since we plan on replacing it later this year or early next year for a Thumper Fab aluminum roof we’re just going to use Lexel and seal like we did on our 18 crew. Can’t believe Polaris Ranger doesn’t just put a single piece roof on these things. Quality control must be non existent!
I haven't checked mine for leaks in the rain, but it does leak when I've been plowing snow. It's a bit disappointing. At $30K+ .....you'd think they could do a better job.

· Registered
247 Posts
I haven't checked mine for leaks in the rain, but it does leak when I've been plowing snow. It's a bit disappointing. At $30K+ .....you'd think they could do a better job.
I just looked. At the moment, I don't see any wet spots on the headliner, but apparently the drivers side door seals are leaking like a sieve. the left side seats, and floor are all wet. :(

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked. At the moment, I don't see any wet spots on the headliner, but apparently the drivers side door seals are leaking like a sieve. the left side seats, and floor are all wet. :(
That’s pitiful! No excuse for any leaks on these things, especially for what they cost. Just after we purchased ours we got a survey in the mail. Didn’t know about the leaks back then of course, but I only have them a few ratings above 8. They really deserve about a 5-6 out of 10!

· Registered
1 Posts
You would think fo what they cost they would be assembled a whole lot better. I also thi they could have done a whole lot better with the noise inside the cab. Also have a better drive train. Follow Honda and put a transmission in them.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well we sealed our roof with Lexel today. Once it set’s up we shouldn’t have any more leaks! If you’ve never tried it you should. It’s a great product.

Application Range 0°F to 120°F (-18°C to 49°C) surface temperature ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Service Range -30°F to 200°F (-34°C to 93°C) ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Freeze-Thaw Stability Won’t freeze ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Tensile Properties Recovery at 50% stretch: 96% in 1 min
Recovery at 100% stretch: 96% in 1 min
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Automotive carrying rack

· Registered
13 Posts
They lost quality control years ago. What surprises me about the roof is that they were not even smart enough to overlap the front half of roof on top of the back half so when driving, the rain isn't forced into the seam. I have a 2020 crew cab ultimate and have several water stains in the headliner. What a shame.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They lost quality control years ago. What surprises me about the roof is that they were not even smart enough to overlap the front half of roof on top of the back half so when driving, the rain isn't forced into the seam. I have a 2020 crew cab ultimate and have several water stains in the headliner. What a shame.
Totally agree! They are nice machines, but severely lacking any type of quality control.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 NorthStar crew ultimate....the roof has already been replaced, as well as the headliner, yet it still leaks. It leaks at the center seam, around the windshield, and the wiper. I contacted Polaris directly and they said the roof is a "design flaw and they are aware..." Basically take it back to your dealer for repair and too bad for you. It's so disappointing for the cost of the machine. Back to the dealer (I love my dealer) it will go.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure its not the wiper seal leaking?

If they don’t fix it, get some Lexel and put a bead of that on the roof where it touches the metal. It won’t leak after that if you do a good job on it. Only bad thing is that it will be a permanent fix.

I’m driving back home to Texas in September. to visit family. Already contacted Thumper Fab. They said give them 2 plus weeks lead time and they will have an aluminum roof waiting on me. Here in Wyoming the 18 NorthStar that we traded in had cracks all in roof, almost every place that had a bolt the hole had crashed. We patched everyone with Lexel, and sealed the two half’s with it too. That’s the only way we could keep the thing from leaking.

At least I won’t have to pay shipping charges. I’m sure it would be hundreds of dollars on a box that’s 6’x5’.

· Registered
11 Posts
I know this is an older post, but I just took my 2018 NorthStar Crew Cab back to the dealer to have the roof replaced for the 3rd time. The first roof was mis-installed and developed cracks. The second roof failed at the aft/forward roof attachment points; the attachment points simply failed allowing the two halves to separate. The same thing just happened again. My dealer is working with Polaris to warranty it again. My extended warranty expires early next year. I'm sure I'll be replacing it again in about two years, next time out of pocket. We live in Northern AZ and never trailer our rig. We putz around the forest at 10 to 15 MPH looking for deer, elk, and antelope. We never ride the thing hard; my wife and I are old, boring, and retired people! I read about this issue all the time. What solutions are others coming up with to deal with this obviously mis-engineered roof?

· Registered
247 Posts
Since this is kinda related.

does anyone’s roofs leak at the top where the roof Meets the windshield?
I get an occasional drip on my hand (right on top of the steering wheel) when the snow starts melting. I'm not 100% sure where it is coming from.

· Registered
239 Posts
I get an occasional drip on my hand (right on top of the steering wheel) when the snow starts melting. I'm not 100% sure where it is coming from.
if it was a drip I wouldn’t be worried.

I towed it down to the hunting property in some rain/snow mix and the seats were pretty wet. It appeared to be leaking across the entire top of the windshield area judging by the water along the roof braces.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know this is an older post, but I just took my 2018 NorthStar Crew Cab back to the dealer to have the roof replaced for the 3rd time. The first roof was mis-installed and developed cracks. The second roof failed at the aft/forward roof attachment points; the attachment points simply failed allowing the two halves to separate. The same thing just happened again. My dealer is working with Polaris to warranty it again. My extended warranty expires early next year. I'm sure I'll be replacing it again in about two years, next time out of pocket. We live in Northern AZ and never trailer our rig. We putz around the forest at 10 to 15 MPH looking for deer, elk, and antelope. We never ride the thing hard; my wife and I are old, boring, and retired people! I read about this issue all the time. What solutions are others coming up with to deal with this obviously mis-engineered roof?
You may want to consider a Thumper Fab or other companies roof, only thing is that they are expensive. My Thumper Fab roof was around $2300 plus shipping. Maybe you can find someone in your state that makes one. We got one, but I haven’t had time to get it installed.When it warms up here in Wyoming hopefully I’ll be able to get it installed.
Wood Composite material Gas Rectangle Metal

· Registered
7 Posts
It will be once I get it installed! Just too much to do and not enough time to get it done. Boy it’s tough bring retired!
Interested to hear how it turns out and if it seals better than the factory roof. I've got a '23 NS Ultimate Crew on the way to replace my '18 RegCab. My '18 is basically a NS without A/C and it leaks like a mofo around the windshield and top/front frame.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts