Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to purchase the 280ah lithium batteries from Voltronics on my 2014 EV. A nearby Polaris dealer is going to install them for me. They are going to put a new battery tray in and sand and coat the frame with a bed liner like coating. Date of delivery is around end of March. I will try to keep everybody posted on the installation.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wish I was closer. Would take mine in next. Lol.

I’m worried about being the first guy with my local dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I was closer. Would take mine in next. Lol.

I’m worried about being the first guy with my local dealer.

This dealer has done one voltronics conversion and one Allied lithium battery conversion already so I put my trust in them doing it correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you mind sharing the cost of just the batteries from voltronixusa? Does the factory charger work or do you have to buy an new charger or other electrical conversion items? Do the larger sizes just offer more range or also more torque, top end speed, etc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer said the cost for the batteries was $7800 for 280ah. The dealer will ship my charger and controller to Voltronixusa to be reprogrammed. So yes you do use your charger. I bought it for more range. There will be no more torque or speed.

·
Super Moderator
454 Posts
Because the Voltronix Li conversion is designed to be fully compatible with the Original Equipment Ranger EV it is within most moderately mechanically inclined people's ability to install. In fact most are owner installed. Polaris dealers will probably charge for 8 ~ 12 hours of labor. Cleaning up and restoring corrosion will take a large part of that effort. The benefits I experienced are: better range, reliable consistent power delivery, drastically less maintenance (battery and corrosion abatement) Check this post for development of the kit: Lithium-Ion Conversion

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I am installing the 210 AH kit in a 2012 as soon as the ice storms let’s up. The kit was scheduled to be delivered Tuesday but is delayed. Here are recent prices.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I charge 400.00 to install the kit. Includes removing batteries. Removing angry shipping the controller and charger to Voltronixs, Cleaning, repainting metal trays and surrounding frame, installing and wiring the harness. 8 hours is about right depending on condition of trays and how difficult it is to remove the hold down bolts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I charge 400.00 to install the kit. Includes removing batteries. Removing angry shipping the controller and charger to Voltronixs, Cleaning, repainting metal trays and surrounding frame, installing and wiring the harness. 8 hours is about right depending on condition of trays and how difficult it is to remove the hold down bolts
Your just to far from me or you would already have my cart. Lol

When you moving east?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have 2 in my boiler shop now. 1 waiting for Voltronixs kit, 1 for Full River batteries. Both shipments have been delayed by this ice storm

·
Registered
2016 Polaris EV
4 Posts
When looking for replacement batteries for a Ranger EV is there necessarily one battery option better than another? So, far in my research Allied "Drop In" lithium ion batteries and the Voltronix lithium seem to be among the better choices. Any suggestions on the better (or best) choice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 Ranger EV. Use it for occasional light leisure travel on dirt road and pasture. Since owning I have put in 2 battery sets at $1500+ each time, one charger unit ($900) and later discovered it was a factory recall, but I was never informed, and a complete new wiring harness. So, needless to say I have not been a satisfied owner at all. I was ready to junk it. Well in Jan 2021 Tommy at Smart Wheels in Marble Falls, TX suggested I install a new RoyPow 160ah Lithium Ion battery and I am very happy thus far. I writing this because I want to share with others that have had the frustration of the Ranger EV w/ lead acid batteries. Up to this point my Ranger has been a huge disappointment.
And to be perfectly clear on the RoyPow, it is still early in this new setup, but so far my performance and battery life is 100% improved. Smart Wheels Golf Carts did the new battery installation under the seat - it looks great and is well secured. For sure I need more time to give a full review, but If you’re looking at lithium batteries it’s an option to consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Indicator light quit working. Charger functioning seemingly normal. Replaced Indicator light unit, still not working. 2 amp indicator light fuse was burnt. Replaced, light came on solid red for a few seconds, then out. Checked fuse, blown again. Disconnected light, replaced fuse and it blew again within 10 seconds or less. Any ideas.

2017 EV 450 hours, replaced batteries fall 2020 to Trojan 1275 lead acid and changed algorithm to 11.
I feel your pain.
I have a 2014 Ranger EV. Use it for occasional light leisure travel on dirt road and pasture. Since owning I have put in 2 battery sets at $1500+ each time, one charger unit ($900) and later discovered it was a factory recall, but I was never informed, and a complete new wiring harness. So, needless to say I have not been a satisfied owner at all. I was ready to junk it. Well in Jan 2021 Tommy at Smart Wheels in Marble Falls, TX suggested I install a new RoyPow 160ah Lithium Ion battery and I am very happy thus far. I writing this because I want to share with others that have had the frustration of the Ranger EV w/ lead acid batteries. Up to this point my Ranger has been a huge disappointment.
And to be perfectly clear on the RoyPow, it is still early in this new setup, but so far my performance and battery life is 100% improved. Smart Wheels Golf Carts did the new battery installation under the seat - it looks great and is well secured. For sure I need more time to give a full review, but If you’re looking at lithium batteries it’s an option to consider.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Did you update the charger algorithm for lithium batteries? If not they will not have the longevity they should as they need a completely different program.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you update the charger algorithm for lithium batteries? If not they will not have the longevity they should as they need a completely different program.

My Polaris dealer will send the charger to Voltronix to get the Algorithm changed.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Eliminated and not using the Polaris charger, using the Roypow integrated system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Polaris dealer will send the charger to Voltronix to get the Algorithm changed.
I understand the need to change the charger but (dumb question I guess) why does the motor controller need to be changed when doing a FLA to lithium conversion? Can the controller "see" the battery difference?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand the need to change the charger but (dumb question I guess) why does the motor controller need to be changed when doing a FLA to lithium conversion? Can the controller "see" the battery difference?
I will have to let somebody else on this forum or Voltronix answer that question.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts