Polaris Ranger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I understand the need to change the charger but (dumb question I guess) why does the motor controller need to be changed when doing a FLA to lithium conversion? Can the controller "see" the battery difference?
I guess they perform an operation to protect the battery they are when the capacity is low.

I have changed to Lithium, and i didn't change anything in the controller, and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Green1956, your Polaris dealer will send the charger to Voltronix? My answer to the controller knowing what type of battery it is would be no. Voltronixs reprogram the controller also.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
What about the dc converter? Are you able to connect the original or add a additional converter to the Roypow

·
Registered
622 Posts
When changing to Li ion / Lifepo4 (Voltronics) you need to change the cut back in performance with voltage so that you dont push the pack when the voltage is low. On lead acid, the voltage can go really low and do limited damage with a wide voltage drop.On a 16 cell lifepo4 pack that starts off at say 57v , its going to need to start cut back at about 46v and serious cut back at 43v. Thats very different to the lead acid settings. On my UK conversions where we use a higher voltage and Li Ion (not Lifepo4) its different again as we have to change the top voltage to reflect a new full voltage of 64 v (DC To DC changed, sevcon goes to 69v and Delta Q re programmed). So it depends on the voltage and discharge profile of the battery in use. You should change the voltage setting in the Sevcon with the so called drop ins as they are mostly empty by about 43v , and its good to get the Sevcon to reflect this and protect the new investment in Lithium battery pack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess they perform an operation to protect the battery they are when the capacity is low.

I have changed to Lithium, and i didn't change anything in the controller, and it works fine.
Thanks. That is interesting. An aerospace contact also suggested the old controller should work. I wonder if regen is different however?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have seen the responses and questions about Charger and controller with the responding responses to comments made by those that are knowledgeable about the parameters on Li-ion and LifePO cells whether individually or in a unit. The response of “it’s working fine now” maybe okay for right now but most of us look at lithium as a long term major investment hopefully lasting for 8-10 years. In my opinion changes to Charger and controller suggested by grumpy and others are trying to help with the long term life of these batteries or even preventing a failure of a cell .

·
Super Moderator
454 Posts

Can you provide the specifics of your conversion? What batteries, how are they connected, the BMS used that sort of information will be of real interest. Photos are always good too.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
No you are correct on Voltronixs my post was referring to the Roypow post.my apologies. Someway it got connected to yours AnywY, I’m a big fan of Voltronixs they do it right. I am a dealer/installer for them and have the 260 in my 2014. The 280 batteries weren’t as readily available so I got the 260. I am waiting on a 10 kw to be shipped to install

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I’ve been reading nothing but good things about Voltronix. I’m paying a lot for it but I hope it will pay off. I belong to a 6500 acre hunting club and with the lithium batteries I’m hoping for a lot better range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I just installed two 56Ah RoyPow batteries in a Ranger EV, and all went well. These were Loaners; I'm waiting on two 105Ah batteries, and may add another two more after that, as it is a work vehicle, and must be able to do 100 miles a day under the worst conditions.

The existing Charger still works, but I will watch it carefully. Does anyone out there have access to the Delta-Q Lithium charging algorithm?

Also, I now need a 48V winch - any suggestions???

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
What do you mean by access to algorithiums? Also I install 12v Winches in them regularly with auxiliary battery. mainly because they are readily available and cheaper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What do you mean by access? I install 12. Winches in them regularly with auxiliary battery
Hi there Boilermkr!

On the Delta-Q site, they have a list of algorithms, but don't provide one for Lithium. In another place there is a list for downloading (MORE of them than the list with descriptions), so some of them may be for Lithium. I see 12 is listed, and would like to know if it is specifically for Lithium. If-so, then I'm a GO!

Here is the list for downloading, followed by the list with descriptions:

That is good to hear your winch works well without the 12V battery boost. I told my guys to pull the rope all the way out, hook it to a tree, and see if the winch will pull the Ranger all the way back, we'll see!

Thanks,

Jim

21 - 40 of 44 Posts