Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this forum found a source for converting a Ranger EV from the Lead Acid batteries supplied with Li-Ion batteries? Seems that the charger, Battery Management System and batteries would need to be changed. The likely result would be better range, lower weight and many more service cycles before battery replacement.

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voltronix Li-Ion Conversion

I have placed an order for the conversion of my 2014 Polaris Ranger EV from PbA to Li-Ion. The advantages are many:

Total weight of 180 Ah pack ~ 200 Lbs VS ~720 Lbs for 228 Ah @ 5 hours
Peukert Coefficient of ~1.0 VS ~1.3
4,000 charging cycles VS ~600
Range of ~ 63 miles VS ~50 and more likely to attain the stated range than the PbA chemistry.
Maintenance none VS watering and corrosion abatement

Cost $4,955 (includes Battery Management System and Charger) I look at it like this; in four years I would spend approximately $2,000 buying and shipping a new set of PbA and four years after that do it again for a total replacement cost of ~$4,000. Over ten years the cost of moving to high performance is about $1,000.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just wondering does that charger come with the two connectors coming out as the Delta q? I know the Delta q has two connectors, a charging connector that has two wires and a second connector with several wires that go to a main wiring harness connector.

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what it looks like: It is a Select-A-Charge SCO-4825 according to the invoice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
battery replacement

Jack
I have the need to do the same conversion on my EV where did you buy your
lithium conversion from. I had a quote for Flux power for 6K but I think you
use the OEM charger.
Thanks
Randy

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Randy: Flux Power engineered a Li-Ion conversion with the assistance of Voltronix USA in California. Flux discontinued offering the conversion because of low sales. Voltronix is the supplier of the Li-Ion battery packs and has the engineering data for the conversion and still supplies either a turn-key conversion or the component parts.

I recommend you contact Tim Foster [email protected] to start with. Please be sure to mention that Jack Anderson recommended him as a source. Tim resides in Spokane, WA and is performing the conversion for us on our new Ranger EV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
battery conversion

Jack
Thanks for the information I used your name as a referral already.
Let me know how yours turns out.
Thanks
Randy

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2014 Ranger EV Conversion to Li-Ion

Tuesday the 8th of April is set as the day for Tim Foster (Voltronix USA)and I to visit Wenatchee Motor Sports. They have my 2014 Ranger EV and Tim wants to review it physically to ensure he knows about any changes Polaris has made on this new model year vehicle. We do not expect any changes.

Voltronix USA is really wanting to establish this Li-Ion conversion as a dealer installed option. To this end, Tim is going to develop a training video from the conversion of this Ranger EV so that Polaris dealerships can train their technicians. I am probably very wrong; but, I think this is really a component swap. The Li-Ion batteries require a different BMS (Battery Management System) and a different charger. Also there is one additional battery information display that is added to the dashboard. So the work hours required is probably on the order of 15 to 18 shop hours.

Voltronix USA will also sell the parts so a person could perform the conversion themselves. The hardest part is deciding how large of a Li-Ion battery pack you want. I will post more here as the process unfolds.

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Benefits of Li-Ion Conversion Increase!

Our meeting with the owner of Wenatchee Motor Sports was well worth the effort. He identified two issues his customers have with the Ranger EV that we had not considered. We have solutions for both. First, the Ranger is limited to 25 MPH however, after conversion to Li-Ion batteries its speed will be limited to 35 MPH. This matches with our county road speed limits and will allow the converted Ranger EV to drive on all county roads. Second, John told us that they lost several sales to the Stevens Pass Ski Area because two or three times while they were demonstrating the Ranger EV the high temperature warning illuminated and on one trip the Ranger EV shut down due to high temperature. Upon examination we determined that the controller is not fitted with a heat sink and is installed in an area where there is not much airflow. After conversion the controller will be repositioned and have a heat sink of sufficient size to prevent over heating. With 500 less pounds to lug around the heat issue may not manifest even without any modifications. Stay posted for more information as we continue on this path to Li-Ion.

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rerouting the Charging Cable

One popular use for the Ranger EV in central Washington is snowplowing. As we considered this we realized that in the current configuration if you have doors on the Ranger EV you must leave one open a bit when the charging cable is in use. As part of the conversion we intend to reroute the charging cable from the dash so that it is accessible from the gas filler opening. The filler opening is now covered by a simple cover plug. We are looking for a suitable cover to protect the charging cable when stowed. More to come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JackA

Thank you for posting your progress with the conversion. I have been looking at the Ranger EV for a long time, the current batteries are not at all attractive to me with the low life, range and corrosion issues. I am very interested in your outcome with this project as I like all the other benefits of the EV. I am in NE Oregon and will use it to plow snow and will run it on a large ranch with major elevation changes. The lithium batteries are the best option for the EV for this I feel. I would even look at the bigger pack if they make one.

Thanks for all the info and research.

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Li Storage Range

The largest Li-Ion packs that fit the Ranger EV are 260AH cells. The least amount of storage are 180AH cells. We are using the 200AH Voltronix USA cells because even though the energy stored is only 9.6 kWh compared to the standard Lead Acid storage of 11.7 kWh (about 18% less) the weight is 463 Lbs less! Also, the amount of useable energy is higher in the Li-Ion cells so combined with the weight reduction of about 30% and more useable energy we think the converted Ranger EV Li will attain 20% more range. We intend to document the differences and will post our finding, good or poor on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is Polaris Doing Li-Ion?

Jorts: Thanks for the link! He says, "this is Lithium..." but I am thinking it must be a concept or test vehicle. Looks like he is in the GEM plant and it is Avalanche Grey so should be a 2014 Ranger. Another possibility is that the CEO does not know; he knows it is electric drive and in his mind associates battery powered vehicles with Li-Ion batteries!

I think we should ask Polaris...

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Battery Weight Correction

After some investigation I have confirmation from Battery Systems of Wenatchee that the US 12V XC battery; serviced and ready for duty weighs 82 Pounds. There are 8 of these in the Ranger EV for a total weight of 656 Lbs. The Voltronix USA Li-Ion cells are listed as 16.09 Lbs and we will be using 16 of them for a total of 257 Lbs. Our estimated weight savings is 399 Lbs or ~ 60% Just this difference may increase range and reduce the motor controller over-heat issue.

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our base vehicle has not been delivered yet. We expect the Li-Ion batteries to be delivered in June. Range testing the OEM Ranger EV will be done in June. Actual conversion work should be completed by July then we will range test the Ranger EV Li. Long answer to say "Yes" to pbenoit's question.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the update. My link was just an interesting side note to your project. Wine is a super bright guy, and the acceleration on that vehicle screams "enhancement". Whether it ever sees the light of day is another story.

·
Super Moderator
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OEM Ranger EV Li Option

Thanks for the update. My link was just an interesting side note to your project. Wine is a super bright guy, and the acceleration on that vehicle screams "enhancement". Whether it ever sees the light of day is another story.
As a matter of fact Voltronix USA has been working with Polaris over the last several months to convince them that Li-Ion should be offered as an OEM option. Voltronix USA would benefit even if Polaris engineered their own conversion because the dealership network would have to become aware of Li-Ion and owners of previous year Ranger EVs would have an aftermarket upgrade path with Voltronix USA. Of course what would be best is that Polaris enter a marketing agreement with Voltronix USA to supply their conversion as an OEM option.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts