Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m one who has switched over to a Ranger (‘22 Northstar Crew Trail Boss) from a Rzr (‘18 XP4 Turbo Dynamix). As fully expected, big transition in the amount of suspension travel and capability off-road and on trails, but again this is as expected, but for myself like many others, the other benefits outweigh this one drawback.
I will still be doing a lot of trail riding (almost exclusively), and my question is how well the Ranger XP suspension might hold up from a durability standpoint when getting driven on rough trails all the time. My body can handle it, I’m just wondering if trail riding will beat up the suspension over the long term, given it seems like the lack of travel theoretically leads to more beating up of the suspension system? Essentially, a bump that would’ve only compressed the Rzr shocks through half its travel, can nearly bottom out the ranger shocks. Is this anything to be concerned about?

·
Premium Member
2021 Ranger Crew Northstar Premium
14 Posts
You could always set it up with "Shock Therapy" tuning of suspension. They can put dual rate springs and much better shocks under it. It will never be a Rzr BUT you won't get wet and dirty either and that is ALWAYS a plus. I just got back from Colorado and loved every minute of trail riding in my 2021 Ranger Crew Northstar Premium. When you get on the trail and it starts raining or snowing, you will not miss your Razor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Randy, good suggestion. Do they just ship you new shocks and you can install at home, or do you need to send them existing shocks and they mod and ship back? Mind sharing what it cost you for your Northstar Crew? Can't wait to use this rig for hunting this year!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Adding big heavy tires will definitely speed up wear on bushings, bearings and suspension components. So if you decide to add a different tire....pay close attention to tire weight.

That said. A set of 814's shocks will definitely help smooth the trail out a bit and stress the suspension a little less. They are a little longer shock, have more travel and are sprung to run without the sway bars. So you gain close to 2" ride hight and the machine can flex more. Win win

Oh....and stock a arm bushings are junk. Garage products bushings when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ranger Crew Northstar Premium
14 Posts
I don't actually have Shock Therapy on my rig. I'm sure there are cheaper options of just changing your own springs and shocks. Just research size, length, weight, etc. I put heavier springs on my 4runner when I added fridge, rear bumper, dynomat, etc..(same concept). If I had to guess, I'd say $3000 for Shock Therapy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adding big heavy tires will definitely speed up wear on bushings, bearings and suspension components. So if you decide to add a different tire....pay close attention to tire weight.

That said. A set of 814's shocks will definitely help smooth the trail out a bit and stress the suspension a little less. They are a little longer shock, have more travel and are sprung to run without the sway bars. So you gain close to 2" ride hight and the machine can flex more. Win win

Oh....and stock a arm bushings are junk. Garage products bushings when the time comes.
Fully agree on the tires and have always paid close attention to this whether truck or ATV. I plan to stick with the factory 29s the Ranger came with. I had upgraded from the 29s to 30s on my Rzr and honestly didn't feel it was worth it.

I will take a look at the 814s, hadn't heard of them. Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't actually have Shock Therapy on my rig. I'm sure there are cheaper options of just changing your own springs and shocks. Just research size, length, weight, etc. I put heavier springs on my 4runner when I added fridge, rear bumper, dynomat, etc..(same concept). If I had to guess, I'd say $3000 for Shock Therapy.
Copy that. I just checked out Shock Therapy but it looks like they don't offer any suspension solutions for Ranger XP1000 Crews currently. Maybe I will consider Elka, however they only offer their stage 1 kit for our vehicles, so I'm skeptical as to how big of an upgrade that would be to stock

·
Registered
90 Posts
I find the rear factory shocks good on my crew but the front could definitely be better so I may upgrade just the front when the time comes with Elkas cause then I don’t need to ship into Canada

·
Registered
890 Posts
Fully agree on the tires and have always paid close attention to this whether truck or ATV. I plan to stick with the factory 29s the Ranger came with. I had upgraded from the 29s to 30s on my Rzr and honestly didn't feel it was worth it.

I will take a look at the 814s, hadn't heard of them. Thanks!

814 suspension. They also have a Facebook group.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll reiterate that I also have been pretty happy with the factory suspension and they basically hit my expectations. However what I never thought about, is how the lesser quality/travel suspension would hold up from a durability perspective as I still trail ride 90% of the time at a pretty fast pace and pushing them to their limits fairly constantly. Whereas in the Rzr, the same driving was pushing them to their limits probably 2% of the time 🤣 I guess only time will tell as it seems like most folks have swapped with aftermarket out of personal preference, rather than out of any component failures.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'd say 99% of the time it's not about failures as much as swapping or modding a stock unit designed with a generally good for everything point of view to something designed for the intended weight and use of a specific user.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'll reiterate that I also have been pretty happy with the factory suspension and they basically hit my expectations. However what I never thought about, is how the lesser quality/travel suspension would hold up from a durability perspective as I still trail ride 90% of the time at a pretty fast pace and pushing them to their limits fairly constantly. Whereas in the Rzr, the same driving was pushing them to their limits probably 2% of the time 🤣 I guess only time will tell as it seems like most folks have swapped with aftermarket out of personal preference, rather than out of any component failures.

Well....it sounds like you push your machine harder than I do.

Last 2 machines. 2016 900 and 2018 1000. Both had at least one shock leaking and springs were fairly sacked out by 2000 miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have 2.500 miles on my 21 Northstar Ultimate and at 2,000 miles was having wheel camber issues resulting in tire wear on the inside. Had never really liked the stock shocks as I bottomed them frequently on the trails in our area. Put on a set of Zbros Exit shocks and absolutely love them. Gained 1.5" of ground clearance, tires are straight and a much better ride. They were great to work with and they shipped mine quickly. Would never look back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts