Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 570 Ranger Midsize with 5000kms on it.
After riding for a couple hours it will suddenly loose power and backfires and then slowly stall out - sometimes I can keep it running by pumping the throttle but most of the time it just dies. If I let it sit for 10-15minutes it will start and run good for a bit then sometimes does it again. The strange thing is it will not happen until its been driven for a couple hours and its worse on a hot day(on a cool day it may not happen)
I have wiggle tested the wiring and connectors - pulled the connectors off and checked them for corrosion - tried using a spray bottle of water to cool off the various sensors when the problem is happening. I have also replaced the spark plug and installed a new Quantum fuel pump and filter (no dirt in the fuel tank) - none of these things helped. It has no trouble codes.
Please any ideas or direction would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have a 2014 570 Ranger Midsize with 5000kms on it.
After riding for a couple hours it will suddenly loose power and backfires and then slowly stall out - sometimes I can keep it running by pumping the throttle but most of the time it just dies. If I let it sit for 10-15minutes it will start and run good for a bit then sometimes does it again. The strange thing is it will not happen until its been driven for a couple hours and its worse on a hot day(on a cool day it may not happen)
I have wiggle tested the wiring and connectors - pulled the connectors off and checked them for corrosion - tried using a spray bottle of water to cool off the various sensors when the problem is happening. I have also replaced the spark plug and installed a new Quantum fuel pump and filter (no dirt in the fuel tank) - none of these things helped. It has no trouble codes.
Please any ideas or direction would be very much appreciated
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem. :eek:I'd throw a gauge on it and check it HOT and underload....I did see you installed a new pump but other factors affect fuel pressure and a bad pump outa the box is always a possibility..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 700 XP EFI, low hours and low miles and mine is doing the same thing. I have replaced about all that has been discussed in other posts on this site, chased about all there is to chase. Drove it the other day with the fuel pressure gauge until it happened and no loss of pressure. Also no codes when it stalls out.

On mine when it loses power, to the point of almost stalling out, it starts ticking almost like a value or like it is losing oil pressure. When I let it sit for 10 minutes it starts right back up and runs fine then after a few minutes the same thing.

So far new TPS, check throttle body, fuel pump and filter bag, harness, heat protected tank, check all ohms on wiring, vent, gas lines, oil change, new filter, etc.

Now I am going to check the oil regulator. So will be watching the response to see what else to try as I am running out of things to check and still no improvement.

You are not the only one in that boat. Not a fun place to be.

TBAZ

·
Registered
13 Posts
help ranger 500 flooding out

I have a 2002 ranger 500 , floods out , adjusted float , replaced electric fuel pump,and still floods out,when I run it grafity fed , it runs fine .What should I check next ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2007 700 XP EFI, low hours and low miles and mine is doing the same thing. I have replaced about all that has been discussed in other posts on this site, chased about all there is to chase. Drove it the other day with the fuel pressure gauge until it happened and no loss of pressure. Also no codes when it stalls out.

On mine when it loses power, to the point of almost stalling out, it starts ticking almost like a value or like it is losing oil pressure. When I let it sit for 10 minutes it starts right back up and runs fine then after a few minutes the same thing.

So far new TPS, check throttle body, fuel pump and filter bag, harness, heat protected tank, check all ohms on wiring, vent, gas lines, oil change, new filter, etc.

Now I am going to check the oil regulator. So will be watching the response to see what else to try as I am running out of things to check and still no improvement.

You are not the only one in that boat. Not a fun place to be.

TBAZ

I know this is a REALLY old thread... but I was wondering if CanaRanger or TBAZ ever figured it out? I'm having similar issues with my 2016 Ranger 570.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Obiekinobie
I can not tell you the fix but I have sort of figured it out and have a work around.
I could reproduce the backfire,loose of power and stalling issue in my 2014 ranger 570 midsize anytime I wanted and got to know when it was going to happen. Just had to ride hard or loaded for about 15kms up hill on a hot day and it would happen every time. Then had to let it sit for 1/2 an hour in the shade with the seat removed - I was always concerned with the amount of heat under the seat (that front exhaust pipe is close to the fuel tank) or what I normally did was slowly pour 3 or 4 one gallon containers of water all over the fuel tank. This seemed to cool the fuel off and the quad ran great again (for awhile) After finding this would get me going I made a sheet metal heat shield to go between the fuel tank and the exhaust pipe this made a huge difference. It would backfire and stall rarely after that but I always carried 4 jugs of water.
I did take it to a dealer while still under warranty but they could not reproduce the problem in the shop and there was no trouble codes - so they just charged me and said nothing is wrong.
Before the heat shield I had replaced the fuel pump with a high volume performance one with no difference. Made sure all the vents were clear. I got mad and just replaced the spark plug and every sensor on the machine - again with no difference.
Anyway no real fix just my work around using the heat shield and water - which kept me going all day long (mostly)
Last year I traded it in on a new 570 midsize - no problems so far
Sure hope this helps you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Obiekinobie
I can not tell you the fix but I have sort of figured it out and have a work around.
I could reproduce the backfire,loose of power and stalling issue in my 2014 ranger 570 midsize anytime I wanted and got to know when it was going to happen. Just had to ride hard or loaded for about 15kms up hill on a hot day and it would happen every time. Then had to let it sit for 1/2 an hour in the shade with the seat removed - I was always concerned with the amount of heat under the seat (that front exhaust pipe is close to the fuel tank) or what I normally did was slowly pour 3 or 4 one gallon containers of water all over the fuel tank. This seemed to cool the fuel off and the quad ran great again (for awhile) After finding this would get me going I made a sheet metal heat shield to go between the fuel tank and the exhaust pipe this made a huge difference. It would backfire and stall rarely after that but I always carried 4 jugs of water.
I did take it to a dealer while still under warranty but they could not reproduce the problem in the shop and there was no trouble codes - so they just charged me and said nothing is wrong.
Before the heat shield I had replaced the fuel pump with a high volume performance one with no difference. Made sure all the vents were clear. I got mad and just replaced the spark plug and every sensor on the machine - again with no difference.
Anyway no real fix just my work around using the heat shield and water - which kept me going all day long (mostly)
Last year I traded it in on a new 570 midsize - no problems so far
Sure hope this helps you
Thanks CanaRanger... what a hassle! I guess my issue is a little different then. Mine stalls after a few minutes of idling. I replaced the fuel pump, and then replaced the entire fuel assembly using an aftermarket from China - and still it made no difference. I'm gonna try a new spark plug, and then maybe a new OEM fuel assembly. Very frustrating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts