Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my one wheel drive on my 2017 900xp. With switch in either 1 or 2 wheel drive, it's in 2 wheel drive, and displays that on speedo with switch in 1 wheel. 4 wheel works fine. 2 wheel does not display anything, but works fine. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what's the fix?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just for informational purposes.

There is no one wheel drive.
What you have is an Open Differential, that has been in use since 1827.
The Open Differential doesn’t incorporate a traction enhancer such as discs/plates or cones etc.
If you have equal traction surfaces for each tire, they will both create motion/torque/force at the same time.
If you have unequal traction surfaces such as ice and asphalt.
The tire with the least amount of traction will receive the power/torque.
That is why Polaris has the 2 wheel lock feature, which couples the rear axles together.
“Turf Mode” is a really cool name that Polaris coined for an open Differential that has been used since the 1800’s.

For your issue, it is most likely the “Turf Mode” Driver or the Solenoid.
The Driver fails more than the Solenoid.
The Driver is a Little Silver Box that is mounted under the bed on the inside of the rear main frame
The Black Round Solenoid is located on the Driver side of the Transaxle at the Rear.
If you follow the wires that plug into it, they will lead you to the Driver.

Shoit me a message if you need some parts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm surprised no ome has developed a 100 % duty solenoid to replace the turf mode solenoid and thus do away with the turf mode driver module ...

·
Registered
2021 Ranger 570-4 Premium
30 Posts
Just for informational purposes.

There is no one wheel drive.
What you have is an Open Differential, that has been in use since 1827.
The Open Differential doesn’t incorporate a traction enhancer such as discs/plates or cones etc.
If you have equal traction surfaces for each tire, they will both create motion/torque/force at the same time.
If you have unequal traction surfaces such as ice and asphalt.
The tire with the least amount of traction will receive the power/torque.
That is why Polaris has the 2 wheel lock feature, which couples the rear axles together.
“Turf Mode” is a really cool name that Polaris coined for an open Differential that has been used since the 1800’s.

For your issue, it is most likely the “Turf Mode” Driver or the Solenoid.
The Driver fails more than the Solenoid.
The Driver is a Little Silver Box that is mounted under the bed on the inside of the rear main frame
The Black Round Solenoid is located on the Driver side of the Transaxle at the Rear.
If you follow the wires that plug into it, they will lead you to the Driver.

Shoit me a message if you need some parts.
I have to admit that I'm a little confused by this explanation. Many decades ago my father bought a Pontiac LeMans. One of the selling features was that it had something called a "posi-traction" differential. This meant that it would drive both wheels equally when going straight on a well tractioned surface, as opposed to what "most" cars had where only one wheel was supposed to drive at a time, traveling in a straight line. (I think in the movie "My Cousin Vinny" there was an a reference to something like this also, differentiating between one wheel driving and both wheel driving equally in the model car driven by the perpetrators)

·
Registered
30 Posts
The following is an explanation that I found on a GTO site. So is a posi-traction differential not the same as an open differential?:

"Pontiac, and GM cars had a "limited slip" posi differential in that the posi has several clutches and heavy springs. Limited Slip and positraction (posi) differentials are designed to "limit" the tendency of open differential to send power to a wheel that lacks traction and redirect the power to a degree to the other wheel of the axle. The Limited Slip and Positraction differential will send power to both wheels equally when traveling straight, however when one wheel spins due to a lack of traction, the differential will automatically provide torque to the other wheel with traction. Limited Slip and Positraction (posi) differentials limit the loss of torque to a slipping wheel through various mechanisms such as clutches, gears cones, and other methods dependant on the unit. The limited slip and positraction will not provide 100% lock up of the differential in extreme situations such as when a wheel completely looses traction. Limited Slip and Positraction (posi) differentials are recommended for daily driven vehicles. Eventually the clutches will wear out and need replacing."

·
Registered
30 Posts
After giving it some more thought I think I understand it better now. With the positraction, when doing a burnout both tires would leave rubber on the road. But with an open differential as soon as one tire began to slip, only that tire would leave rubber! Sorry if I created any confusion.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger 570 Full Size Crew, OEM top, aftermarket front and rear windshields, Maxxis Ceros tires.
268 Posts
You are pretty close. Posi traction is an open differential with a clutch pack in it to drive both wheels. But the clutch allows it to slip a bit when turning. Hence the term limited slip.

Ranger rear diff or transaxles are either fully open or mechanically locked as I understand it. No limited slip feature.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As I mentioned above, to date, there is no traction enhancer in the Polaris differential.
It is an open differential, with the 2 wheel locking mechanism.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok guys my 2017 XP 900 Ranger has been in and out of shop for same problem. When in turf mode the unit goes into 2 wheel(s) drive mode. The switch says Turf mode and the indicator on the dash shows turf mode. After unit is turned off and sits a while when you turn ignition back on the check engine light is out, but will come back on after its run a while. I get a check engine lite and a code 746-5. Warranty replaced solenoid. That did not cure problem still the same check engine light and 746-5 code. Warranty replaced wireing harness. Still getting 746-5 code and check engine light but not as often. These are the 2 remedy's the dealer says that Dyna Wrench computer program shows. Its back in the shop. What are your ideas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts