Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into purchasing a Ranger EV. Found some info online about a LSV model. That’s the low speed vehicle aka street legal model. Does anyone know if they still make the Ranger EV LSV?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looking into purchasing a Ranger EV. Found some info online about a LSV model. That’s the low speed vehicle aka street legal model. Does anyone know if they still make the Ranger EV LSV?
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-ev-li-ion/

This was all I could find on electric current models is the Ranger EV Li-ion. The cheaper standard Ranger EV looks like it was not carried over from the 2017 lineup.

·
Super Moderator
371 Posts

·
Super Moderator
371 Posts
Ranger EV LSV

The LSV (Low Speed Vehicle; which is a federal classification) has not been produced for several years. In Washington State a Ranger EV can be licensed under the LSV rules by adding turn signals, horn, mirrors and having an inspection to validate the add ons.. In my case total cost was about $300. Having the On Road and Off Road license plate allows my Ranger to operated on roads with a posted speed limit of 35 MPH or less, unless specifically prohibited. In my state that means that each municipality can allow or disallow LSV operation on its streets. You have to check before driving downtown for lunch...

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a licensed 2011 EV LSV. Polaris stopped making them in 2012.
They are manufactured to a federal LSV specification.

Polaris currently only manufactures the standard EV and EV-LIon.

Technically they must come equipped from the factory with turn signals, 4-way flasher, brake lights, headlights and rear running lights, horn, inside rearview mirror, DOT glass windshield, roof, poly or back glass, DOT tires, DOT seat belts, a placard indicated they were manufactured to the federal standard and indicating they are an LSV with an original LSV MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin). They must be speed limited to 25 MPH Max. 30 HP Max. and electric powered. NO high beams, outside rearview mirrors, speedo, odometer, license plate light required. LSVs were defined by NHTSA in 1998 by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Statndard FMVSS.500.

States are allowed to impose operating procedures in excess of the federal standard. States can NOT reclassify LSVs to another FMVSS (like an ATV)

Most states have defined operating parameters such as operation on 2 lane roads only with a Max. speed limit of 35 or 45 MPH.

Some states allow an upgrade of either gas or electric non-LSV vehicles to LSV status, some just non-LSV electric vehicles. NOTE: it is illegal to reclassify a federally defined motor vehicle into another class.

4 states prohibit LSV use on streets and roads and treat LSVs as Off road ATV/UTV/ORV vehicles. The caveat here is DOT reciprocity agreements. Under federal law, states must allow operation of any and all legally titled, registered and insured motor vehicles from other states. This includes the other states inspection requirements. (If your Chevy Impala is legally titled, registered, licensed, insured, and inspected in a state it can be legally driven anywhere in North America.)

Most states will demand an LSV MSO for titling and registration as an LSV. Those that do; usually do NOT allow upgrading non-LSVs.

My own example: PA would not title or register my LSV to operate on-road. Since the Legislature has failed to adopt LSV use and operation parameters for over 15 years, the Penn DOT transferred titling and registration of LSVs to the PA DCNR as a Class II off-road UTV by memo. Penn DOT cited inspection and safety deficiencies for high speed 4-lane+ super highway operation. NOTE: LSVs were never designed or are allowed (by federal definition) to operate on high speed super highways. Further more the reclassification to a Class II UTV is illegal and not legal by a memo.

I titled, registered, licensed, and insured my LSV in another state which permits LSVs. It was inspected and operates under Delaware rules in PA as a motor vehicle from another state. I adhere to the Delaware operating rules as PA has none for LSVs (basically 2 lane streets and roads with a posted speed limit of 35 MPH). I have been stopped and checked....even yelled at that I could not drive an ATV on the street.......but let go when the registration was produced and up-to-date license plate inspected.

I added a digital/analog GPS speedometer/odometer (40 MPH)
- so that titling and registration would be easier (hard to explain Hours of use) to DMV clerks
- so I could accurately operate.

I also added an orange safety triangle, license plate bracket and outside rearview mirrors. The OEM poly back glass came with pre drilled holes to mount the license plate.

I operate both on and off road (hunting). I also have a Michigan ORV license which has reciprocity with PA DCNR for off road use in PA.

For safety sake I do not operate after dark, drive to the extreme right and let other motorists by and have a large orange "farm vehicle" triangle on the tailgate and fly an orange flag on the aerial (not shown).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
371 Posts
In Washington State you apply for on road use at the department of Motor Vehicles. The process involves an inspection, and additional of required on road equipment like mirrors, turn signals and horn. I would recommend that you contact your local DMV office and ask if your state has this kind of program available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Washington State you apply for on road use at the department of Motor Vehicles. The process involves an inspection, and additional of required on road equipment like mirrors, turn signals and horn. I would recommend that you contact your local DMV office and ask if your state has this kind of program available.
Thanks for your reply! Right, I did and as soon as they saw this COO they said no

1 - 10 of 10 Posts