Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 2018 XP1000 that I've owned for a couple months now. So far it's been great and I've put ~400 miles on it.

One thing I noticed and it's done it since I got it (used) - on a cold start, if it's in gear, it will lunge in forward or reverse on startup. It doesn't continue forward or creep, just lunge (maybe 1/8 or so tire rotation).

Once I drive it around a little and stuff warms up, it doesn't do it - only on cold starts.

A couple things I've looked at - clutch cover off, in neutral, it will spin the secondary on startup but then it stops. If it was an alignment issue I'd expect it to continue spinning the secondary in neutral - right?

It's not that big of a deal but it is a little annoying and potentially unsafe if someone was in front of it on cold startup.

Any thoughts or things to check would be great.

·
Registered
521 Posts
First suggestion...don't start it in anything but park! You don't start your car in drive?

Second... pull your primary apart and blow it out with compressed air. Pull the one way bearing and plastic cam and spring behind the bearing and inspect them. One way bearing may be getting bad.

But honestly....don't know anyone that starts there rig in gear. Unsafe anyway you cut it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Doesn't matter if the shifter is in park when you start it, when you drop it in gear it lunges when you let off the break.
If you start in gear you have to have your foot on the break anyhow.
I don't know why they do it but, I would bet you are also having difficulty moving the gear selector when this happens. I have to shut mine off to change gears when this happens. Only on cold start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First suggestion...don't start it in anything but park! You don't start your car in drive?

Second... pull your primary apart and blow it out with compressed air. Pull the one way bearing and plastic cam and spring behind the bearing and inspect them. One way bearing may be getting bad.

But honestly....don't know anyone that starts there rig in gear. Unsafe anyway you cut it.
I understand the manual probably says not to do that but I can't be the only one that starts the machine in gear. I've owned 3 rangers and around the house, all my short stop/starts - never shifted into Park every time I stop/start. Either way - my other machines never did it so I was just curious.

Doesn't matter if the shifter is in park when you start it, when you drop it in gear it lunges when you let off the break.
If you start in gear you have to have your foot on the break anyhow.
I don't know why they do it but, I would bet you are also having difficulty moving the gear selector when this happens. I have to shut mine off to change gears when this happens. Only on cold start.
Maybe? I'll test it tonight and see. I'm not sure if it'd jump a little if I start in N and move it to L. I know it doesn't creep.

Either way, I'll probably be taking the primary apart at some point to check the bearing and make sure that's spinning freely (in one direction). I have a new belt I plan to install and I'll double check the alignment at that time as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Then your one way bearing needs to be replaced.

Gilomen has a better 2 way bearing as an upgrade to the one way bearing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Then your one way bearing needs to be replaced.

Gilomen has a better 2 way bearing as an upgrade to the one way bearing.
Do you lose the EBS with the 2 way bearing?
It's all personal preference but, I like the EBS.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just below about 4-5mph is all. The ebs stays in tact on the primary As well as the ebs helix in the secondary isn't effected by it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts