Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on the web and did not come up with any of this on my on. However it is a good do it yourself project.

Making a rzr softtop.

materials you will need:

about a yard of marine grade vinyl or your fabric of choice
about 9 yards of 1" nylon strap (parachute cord, nylon webbing, shoulder strap material, tiedown strap lots of names)
a couple of little adjustable buckles (plastic)
3 plastic or nylon snap buckles
All Purpose upholstery thread
large sewing needles
sewing machine..(i've done tops like this by hand and it takes forever, sucks, and looks like crap)
cut your vinyl as in the picture below (it doesnt have to be exactly like this theres a little slop in it but this is the dimensions of the last two that i've made and they fit pretty good.

the dimensions below are for the actual size, you want to leave about an inch overhang because this will be folded over so you dont have any rough edges visible.

as you see at the bottom (back there is a semi circle bow. that just makes the top look better and keeps evertyhing tight, you dont have to do it but it looks better. also it doesnt have to be exactly like the picture, any kind of arc in the back will work as long as it's not too deep.

you want to start by cuttong out your viny. works best to put it on a table face down and use a pencil to measure your actual dimensions when it looks like you want it, then mark your 1" overlap part.. cut the whole thing out..

you should still have the actual dimensions marks so fold everything up like it needs to be and put a couple of stitches in to hold it folded over (you can also use tape if you like.

on each corner fold it under and sew it down at about a 45 degree angle this is where your straps are going to come out and good flat angles make it look a little better

the trick to making these tops strong is to put nylon webbing in them and put all of your stress on that (instead of the vinyl) first pieces of webbing will be the sides.

the length of the top is about 39" so you will want an inch or two of overhang on the sides (because it will tie into the other straps.
jsut lay your strap down one side of your top and give it a little length of overhang on either end (remember it's easier to cut off too much than to try and graft in too little)

you can pin them in if you like or just sew them down there..

when sewing vinyl you need to lubricate everything with something. you can get silicone sewing lubricant in a spray can or armorall works pretty good too. you'll want to clean your machine when you get done if you use armorall.

on this pass jsut do a regular straight stich use a very long stitch. but sew your webbing to the bottom side of your top along the edge. leave just a little (maybe 1/4") vinyl hanging out over the webbing. sew that althe way from one end to the other..

do the other side the same way.

next piece is the rear when you cut your webbing make sure it fits the back of the top and has about 20" hanging off of each end( these will be what holds your top on in the back)

you're going to sew the back strap on the same as the sides but at the ends you will take your little tail from the sides (that 1 or 2" overhang) and follw the straps out where it's all sewn together and the webbing forms more or less a frame for the vinyl.

when you get down with that. you will do the same thing up front only you'll have about 45" of tail on each side for it.. (this is your front tiedown.

and lastly a piece about 30 inches long will come off of the front center.. when you sew this on use a box or a zigzag stich or both.

you should have one outside stich all the way around your top..

now you want to go and put another stich at the other side of the webbing this will make the webbing lay down flat and make everything look nice. remember that the top of both of these stitches will be visible so you want to try and keep everything as straight as you can.

on the corners and anywhere webbing is sewn to webbing you can use a zigzag because that will make it strong

now run smiling outside where your rzr is and test fit it :)
in the pictures below i show how to put this on you can refrence these if you like, but right now your'e going to mark your straps and see where all of the plastic ware needs to go..

if you have a whiteout pen or some way to mark your nylon webbing that would be great..

you will lay the top down loosely over your cage and see where everting goes.. you want to run your straps down through the cage's a-pillar holes and loop around the cross beam (you know the one that sticks out of the side if you flip it) take a loop around that and come back out the hole where the bar comes out..

now you decide where you want your buckle using the placement of the end of the strap and really just your prefrence.. remember if it's too low you may not be able to get your top tightened down all the way up front so give yourself a little room.

mark your webbing where this clip will go. remember to include the inch or so you will lose when you put in the loop. do this for both sides int he front now you can leave the front straps stuck in the holes while you do the back..

you're going to do the same with the back only on this end you can use those little slip buckles.. (actually you can use whatever you want buckles slips knots it doesnt matter. im just telling you want i did with mine)

and finally the center one.. it should loop around your cross beam and back to itself so you can pull the center tight..

you actually might be able to get away without the center i use it because my ligthbar is up front and the ties for it are off of the main front hoop. so my top has to go over them. the center strap brings to top back down to the cage. it also gives you a little more control over how and where you can tighten your top..

now you can take the top off and sew the buckles in..

then i would say to trim all of your threads and clean it up..

if you live somewhere other than texas where it's about 100 degrees, you might want to heat the top up a little so the vinyl will stretch.. you dont have to, but if you load it too fast it will rip.. the trick to this top is to stretch the vinyl so it's tight on your cage and fits the contours of your bars.. that's what makes it looks good and keeps it from ripping in the wind.

put the top on kind of looseley and then just start tigthening a little bit at a time all the way around, you will continue to stretch the top until it's where you like it.. work the back, then the front then back to the back.. you dont want to take a big bite out of it. just little bites will help you to keep it streched evenly and make it look better.

below are several pictures to help with your fab and install.

i hope you enjoyed this and i hope you get a really nice top out fo the deal.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

this is what the dop looks like when it's completed, mine has already been on my rzr for a couple of months so you can see the buldges at the corners where the vinyl has stretched around the bars.. i assure you it started as a flat piece.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
top is loosely fit (layed over) on the cage

poke your straps down through the hole go around the bar below and come back up through the hole.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I made one for my RZR. Pretty easy to make, took me about 3 hours on the wifes sewing machine. I got my vinyl from Mac's Hardware, and the 1" nylon strap material I found at TSC. Cost was around $30 for everything.

·
Registered
507 Posts
At least then you could say you had a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into making your top. Gives it more sentimental value that way ;D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thought I would bring this back to the top since I just used this info to make another top for my second RZR. Since installing the plastic glove box, I had to modify the straps a bit, as there is no way to access them once the glove box is installed.

Instead of looping the front straps down, around, and back up through the roll bar opening, I doubled up one end of the strap (opposite the buckle) and using a hot screwdriver, melted a hole through the strap. Looking up underneath the front fender, there is a 5/16 bolt that I removed and installed the strap to this. Now if I need to remove the top for cleaning, I just unbuckle it and the lower strap will stay in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts