Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting close to pulling the trigger on a 2020 model and wondered if the 60 month extended warranty is a good idea at 1600 bucks. also, there is a set up charge of 875 to $1,000 AND they are trying to sell me a self leveling water pump/kit for proper
battery water maintenance at $420. total cost is a shade less the 18k and would like to know if there is any room to negotiate on the price of the extended warranty, the set up fees, or if the battery maintenance kit is really necessary. again, thx in adv for any thoughts or recommendations

·
Registered
75 Posts
My experience: I bought a 2015 EV and did not opt for any additional warranty. I have subsequently had to put in over $6K just this year in what would (probably?) have been covered in a 5yr warranty. In my case this was a new motor and controller, plus labor, because water somehow (which can be just from gentle hosing off) got into the motor and resulted in rust, which in turn resulted in seizing along with likely power surge damage to the controller.

No fun.

My dealer was "nice" and cut some of their labor, but Polaris wouldn't budge.

That expense doesn't include some "oops!" damage to the front CV joint that I caused by driving it into too rough a place much earlier.

You can probably install your own battery watering kit for less; I like mine a lot more than the pain in the ass non-access you get with the stock setup. Polaris would be good to its customers to just make that part of the product, IMO.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My experience: I bought a 2015 EV and did not opt for any additional warranty....
OBTW: you should ask about and get in writing whether or not Polaris will warrant the water-in-the-motor problem for you. It would be one thing if I had driven my EV into a pond, but the motor should be more resilient to "just cleaning" water.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, i will ask more pointed questions about water damage and thanks for your feedback on the battery kit too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Battery watering system is a must have feature IMO. It just depends on if you want to pay them to put it on or save a few bucks and do it yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
gonna get that for sure.
Dunnigun, for that much money you should consider one of the newly upgraded rangers I have. They've got a new 260 ah Voltronix lion kit installed and are twice the machine of the lead acid battery operated Rangers. They are rated for 3,000 charges and 65 miles between charges. Got a 2013 with a full cab and upgraded tires. Its only got 90 hours on the machine and the new lion kit was just installed last week. Full warranty for the kit would transfer to buyer. Asking $18,900

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dunnigun, for that much money you should consider one of the newly upgraded rangers I have. They've got a new 260 ah Voltronix lion kit installed and are twice the machine of the lead acid battery operated Rangers. They are rated for 3,000 charges and 65 miles between charges. Got a 2013 with a full cab and upgraded tires. Its only got 90 hours on the machine and the new lion kit was just installed last week. Full warranty for the kit would transfer to buyer. Asking $18,900
i'd like to know more about this upgrade. is this an upgrade any dealer can perform or is it dealer specific, which works if we are 50 miles or less from each other. does the warranty apply to the voltronix and does it negate the warranty on a machines extended warranty if that still applies. i'm getting a brand new 2020 for less than 16k with battery leveling pump kit, front glass/rear poly, mud tires, roof, and 5 yr. extended warranty; that is more than 2k less than your offer for a used 2013 unit with a non factory upgrade. maybe i'm missing something obvious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im not a dealer, just an individual that bought a new Ranger EV and was disappointed in it. Earlier you stated you were spending just shy of 18k. The lead acid batteries life span were to me a joke and there is 8 of them weighing in at nearly 100 lbs apiece. So instead of every couple of years spending 2k on new batteries I spent some money on the voltronix conversion. The machine dropped 450 lbs and at 65 miles/charge for 3000 charges Im guessing Ill never run out of power for the life of the machine. At any rate at 2k per replacement every couple of years I'll recoup my investment pretty quickly and there's no maintenance or corrosion to deal with. To me its a no brainer after my experience with the machine and running both types of batteries. Good luck to you with your machine. Its a very well built buggy, but I'm guessing there will come a day when you're less then impressed with it due to the led acid batteries.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JamieE...first off, thank you for your input. you are right about the weight and longevity of the batteries and that is a concern to me as well. since the first post where i was at the 18k number, the price has dissolved to $15,300 by talking to the 6 different dealers within 100 miles of me. as you can tell, i know nothing about these riggs and am learning as i go, but i will take your advice and consider the voltronic system. again, thanks for your offer and input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts