Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a manual wiper blade system for theirs? I'm thinking about installing one on mine.

I don't have a glass windshield but I do have the Polaris hard coated windshield with the flip out vents and it says wiper ready so I'm assuming they are safe to use. But I've found quite a few manual wiper systems out there but they all kind of have mixed reviews and I want to know what's the best one for the Ranger.

I know Motoalliance sells a universal electric one but it's only a small blade and it only clears 90 degrees. Not that useful to me!

EMP has one that has a 16" blade which would be more useful and it looks like you can change the blade to whatever you want which is more practical. I think some put even larger ones on. https://extrememetalproducts.com/i-21235832-hand-operated-utv-wiper-for-hard-coated-poly-windshields-only.html

So if anyone here has a manual wiper for their hard coated windshield or even glass, what did you get and how do you like them?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are using the wiper for rain only, that might be OK. I've had a couple of hard coated windshields and they require much TLC when cleaning to keep them from getting all scratched up. I think a wiper to remove mud, dirt, dust, and water will scratch the crap out of your hard coated windshield in no time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are using the wiper for rain only, that might be OK. I've had a couple of hard coated windshields and they require much TLC when cleaning to keep them from getting all scratched up. I think a wiper to remove mud, dirt, dust, and water will scratch the crap out of your hard coated windshield in no time.
I only really need it for winter when I'm plowing, doubt I'll ever use it during trailing riding unless I got stuck in the rain.

·
Registered
108 Posts
forklift wiper systems fit perfectly
lots of old forklifts laying around , also they have rear wipers too and most people don't use it so it shouldn't be missed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone have a manual wiper blade system for theirs? I'm thinking about installing one on mine.

I don't have a glass windshield but I do have the Polaris hard coated windshield with the flip out vents and it says wiper ready so I'm assuming they are safe to use. But I've found quite a few manual wiper systems out there but they all kind of have mixed reviews and I want to know what's the best one for the Ranger.

I know Motoalliance sells a universal electric one but it's only a small blade and it only clears 90 degrees. Not that useful to me!

EMP has one that has a 16" blade which would be more useful and it looks like you can change the blade to whatever you want which is more practical. I think some put even larger ones on. https://extrememetalproducts.com/i-21235832-hand-operated-utv-wiper-for-hard-coated-poly-windshields-only.html

So if anyone here has a manual wiper for their hard coated windshield or even glass, what did you get and how do you like them?

EMP one here. I haven't used it much yet, but can't beat the price. I too will be using mine for plowing or heavy rains. I swapped out their included 11-12" blade for a 21" one I had from my truck. It's attached in the middle at the bottom of the windshield. It clears almost the whole shield of my midsize.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had one on an old Rzr I had and it was a pain in the ass. Besides scratching the hard coat windshield if you were ever in the rain you and to lean ahead and run the wiper the hole time or you couldn’t see. In my opinion hard coat windshields and manual wipers are a waste of money but they will work if you want them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had one on an old Rzr I had and it was a pain in the ass. Besides scratching the hard coat windshield if you were ever in the rain you and to lean ahead and run the wiper the hole time or you couldn’t see. In my opinion hard coat windshields and manual wipers are a waste of money but they will work if you want them.
Yeah, I should've bought the glass window instead. Ugh. Oh well...kind of late now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's what they make Rain-X for...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was just about to recommend Rain-X. I use it on my glass Ranger windshield. I use it on my cars. I use it on the leading edge of the hood and grille during bug season. It worked really well on my 737 windshields. Been using it for 30+ years.

Over time it will craze polycarbonate material but a way to minimize that is to put a little excess Rain-X on a rag and let some of the solvents evaporate. Give it 30 seconds for most of those to go away and then apply it to a clean windshield. If you haven't used it before, it'll look like oil because that is essentially what it is: silicone oil. Grease the surface up good. To keep a layer that will last a couple months, don't wipe off the excess, use a hose and wash it off. Running water is all you need. A bucket will do. Then, don't touch your windshield unless absolutely necessary.

Glass is unaffected by Rain-X but Poly windshields in utes only seem to last three or four years anyway, I'd use it rather than putting on a wiper.

Tip: If you use it on your car, try to avoid using the wipers if possible as it degrades the coating. You can help by wiping your wiper blades with the rag of Rain-X when you are done. All Rain-X needs is a little wind or vibration and the water completely sheds.

·
Super Moderator
2,300 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Its awesome. Snow and cannot stick to silicone. If your ute is warm from the garage, the snow will melt when it hits the windshield, and the drops group together and run off the windshield. If the machine sits out for a few hours and the windshield gets cold soaked, the silicone will keep it from attaching long enough to melt. The snow grains just bounce off.

Good news on the plastic version of Rain-X. Long overdue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was going to do a manual wiper but found that boat type units were very inexpensive. I found one with 2 speed switch on amazon. Put a cord with cigarette lighter plug, then just plug into power supply when needed. wrap cord around motor out of the way otherwise. Found that really needed when running in snow with tracks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I'm giving this stuff a shot before I get a wiper.

I followed the directions people posted on Amazon and I applied 3 coats of it and man...I'm impressed. I sprayed water on it and just rolled off sitting there. Amazing stuff. Doesn't leave any haze and dust doesn't even stick to it.

It does take a little bit to buff, but well worth the calories burnt :)

I'm curious how it works in the snow, from the comments people said the snow will just slide off. But I'll be the judge of that. I used really soft microfiber cloths from The Rag Company so it wont leave any marks and makes it easier to buff off. I mean, I use these on the muscle car lol.

Anyways, I applied it the headlights and the mirrors too. Hopefully it will keep ice from forming on it.

Grabbed it at O'Reillys for $5.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,300 Posts
I found it at O'Reilleys too. It was in a different aisle than the regular stuff but the man found it for me.
I will be doing my non hardcoat rear window and headlights now too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found it at O'Reilleys too. It was in a different aisle than the regular stuff but the man found it for me.
I will be doing my non hardcoat rear window and headlights now too.
Hahaha that happened to me. I found the Rain-X for glass and I'm like...but the website said they had a few in stock. I walked to where the wipers were and voila! There it was. I'm surprised out of all auto part stores in my area that distribute Rain-X products, just didn't carry the one for plastics...even Wal-Mart!!

I have a glass rear window but I gotta get some regular rain-x now for that.

LOL you probably could put a whole coat of that Rain-X Plastic on the hood and what not where it's painted and nothing will probably stick to it.

·
Super Moderator
2,300 Posts
Hmmm, didn't think about that. I will probably try that and mine isn't painted. I will read the label first. That stuff stays on my windshield seems like forever, might be better than wax on the front plastic.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just remember: Oil and water don't mix. Grease up a dry windshield. You cannot apply it wet so get it on before you need it. You don't even have to wipe off the excess as the water will take the excess off and the thicker layer will last quite awhile.

I actually got to meet the guy who invented Rain-X. Sad story. The guy who introduced him to me said, "Too much money too fast and much of that went up his nose." The guy used to be a brilliant chemical engineer. I used Rain-X on aircraft windshields for 30 years and it was absolutely unbelievable. At high speed, the rain drops would turn to a fog and almost completely disappear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts