Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '13 Ranger 800 mid and plan to lift it slightly to add minimal height to clear some low and swampy areas of my farm that drags the bottom. I changed the stock 25" tires to 26" mudlites but that is not quite enough. I called Chris Marshall (designer of this lift kit) to discuss installation and design as I am concerned about the CV wear at different angles than stock. Chris explained that Polaris has lowered the Ranger due to liability reasons, and OEM CV's were originally designed to operate at the angle his kit will run the CV's.
The service manager at my dealership says the Polaris CV's are not especially heavy duty, and placing them at 2.5" lifted angles will cause issues quickly. I am not a hot rod with my UTV and use it carefully and responsibility mainly to get around on my farm and hunting club. Now my question is will this Marshall MotoArt 2.5" lift kit cause CV damage and premature wear?

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
You have to consider that your Rangers shocks and springs have weakened from what they were when you got it. They have settled an inch or more. The end result of a 2.5" lift will be a gain of 1"-1.5". You can also compensate for this droop by adjusting your suspension to a higher setting, but your Ranger will ride a bit rougher then it does @ its lower settings.
There are situations that you want to avoid with you Ranger with or without a lift. You want to use low range when your in stressful situations (mud-steep climbs). You need to be careful around deep ruts where your axle can be over extended vertically downward. If your in deep mud, and you think your stuck, don't try to power out of it, use your winch. Don't push or pull someone else that is stuck, use your winch.

Breaking an axle isn't a major deal. Your better off breaking an axle then something else. Your best defense is basic common sense, and as you say; "use it carefully and responsibly".

·
Registered
37 Posts
You need to be careful around deep ruts where your axle can be over extended vertically downward.
This has been my concern while researching lifts and would be happy to find one with just a 1 1/2" to 2" lift. In my area it is very common to be in situations that will max out the bottom of the axle travel while going over stone rows, crossing streams or even logging ruts and logs.

Need more clearance though and max tire size I would go is 26" and the MM lift sure reads as being a well build unit.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
This has been my concern while researching lifts and would be happy to find one with just a 1 1/2" to 2" lift. In my area it is very common to be in situations that will max out the bottom of the axle travel while going over stone rows, crossing streams or even logging ruts and logs.

Need more clearance though and max tire size I would go is 26" and the MM lift sure reads as being a well build unit.
I recently dealt with a lot of deeper ruts while @ Brimstone in Tennessee. The ruts were encountered while engaging in steep ascents and descents in the Tennessee mountains. It really wasn't an issue. I had it locked in low, and I took it slow. I was really glad I had the extra clearance for maneuvering over rocks and through ruts. Most riders that I know that have broken axles have done it in deep mud, running high RPM's, trying to power through the slime.

I think that limiting the tire size to 26" is a wise choice. I'm very happy with my 2.5" lift, and as I already stated, at the end of the day it's really only a 1.5" lift. That's with my suspension adjusted in the lowest position, if I need more, it's there when I need it.

Brimstone Picture:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to consider that your Rangers shocks and springs have weakened from what they were when you got it. They have settled an inch or more. The end result of a 2.5" lift will be a gain of 1"-1.5". You can also compensate for this droop by adjusting your suspension to a higher setting, but your Ranger will ride a bit rougher then it does @ its lower settings.
There are situations that you want to avoid with you Ranger with or without a lift. You want to use low range when your in stressful situations (mud-steep climbs). You need to be careful around deep ruts where your axle can be over extended vertically downward. If your in deep mud, and you think your stuck, don't try to power out of it, use your winch. Don't push or pull someone else that is stuck, use your winch.

Breaking an axle isn't a major deal. Your better off breaking an axle then something else. Your best defense is basic common sense, and as you say; "use it carefully and responsibly".

You have given me great feedback and advice as I have made recent choices
regarding my Ranger's tire and suspension mods. And like we both agree, responsible and mature use of any machine is the key to longevity. I get the feeling that the Marshall Motoart lift is a solid choice, and as mentioned, I'll protect the axles when in compromising situations. Again, thank you for the multiple responses and positive advice!

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Your welcome!

Post some pics when you get done with the upgrades.

We like pics!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I installed the Marshall 2.5 lift on our crew yesterday and love it, well built lift and the easiest install I've ever done with a Ranger lift.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do! I like to see pictures as well so I'll be sure to post some soon.

I had an older Yamaha Rhino and my neighbor constantly asked me if I would sell it. I finally broke down and started looking at Polaris since I had a Polaris Sportsman and always thought it was a great machine. I sold him the Rhino and bought the '13 Ranger 800 mid. It was originally sold in '14 and the owner kept it one year and traded it in for a full size crew so he could ride the grandkids more comfortably. He had it serviced at the dealership and only had 256 miles on it. I thought it was a new unit and it is absolutely flawless. Of course it has all the bells and whistles....top, windshield, winch, rear bumper, rear windshield panel, plus it is camo which I wanted. All great, looks great runs great.

One of my buddies told me the 800 mid was actually in high demand, especially one in prime condition. He said to take good care of it and it will be worth near what you paid for it in several years. Glad it worked out.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
They have camo wrap kits for the Rangers (ebay), or you can pull the hood off and drop it off @ your local wrap shop and pick out your own unique graphics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts