Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 ranger ev runs great until the temperature light comes on. I understand that the sensor is in the motor. Feeling parts with hand and nothing is hot. I can let it sit for a few hours and it runs fine for a while.
Where is this sensor located and what connectors carry this signal. Need wire lists and diagram.
Want to bypass the sensor to narrow down the problem. A sensor replacement means a motor replacement and that's big bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2021 ranger ev runs great until the temperature light comes on. I understand that the sensor is in the motor. Feeling parts with hand and nothing is hot. I can let it sit for a few hours and it runs fine for a while.
Where is this sensor located and what connectors carry this signal. Need wire lists and diagram.
Want to bypass the sensor to narrow down the problem. A sensor replacement means a motor replacement and that's big bucks.
You can by-pass the thermistor with a 500 ohm resistor. Give me a call and I will guide you thru it. Lou 217 430 3101
That's what I wanted to try, but don't know which connector runs those sensor wires. Can't find any photos for the EV or a wire list to go by exploded diagram and schematic would sure help. Covid moved into my house and we're feeling crappy maybe call when things improve!
Thanks so much for responding!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hope you all start feeling better. If you can take a photo of the back of your motor so I can see which type of motor your EV has. Polaris had used three different styles. Once I see the motor I will be able to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks lou1947!!!!
Motor temperature sensor successfully bybassed. Replaced thermistor with a 500 ohm resistor. Pictured is the c inonnector to the thermistor disconnected with 500 Ω resistor spliced across the feed wires. Otherwise I would have had to replace the motor (3200 bucks). This fix cost about a dollar!
I physically felt this motor several times and it was never hot. I used a 10 watt resistor because I had one. Doesn't need to be that beefy!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Line Electricity Electrical wiring

Vehicle Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Tire Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lou1947 Hi Lou, I have had a problem with our Polaris Ranger EV with the tool symbol and engine overheating lights coming on and preventing the UTV from driving. I came across your solution and tried to fixed mine with the same fix but with a 470ohm 10 watt resistor, which partly fixed it, it is now an intermittent fault.
Should I look around more and find a 500 ohm resistor? Would the 30 ohm difference be an issue?

Thank you in advance for your help if you are available to answer this.

Regards Clive Denholm, Victoria Australia.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lou1947 Hi Lou, I have had a problem with our Polaris Ranger EV with the tool symbol and engine overheating lights coming on and preventing the UTV from driving. I came across your solution and tried to fixed mine with the same fix but with a 470ohm 10 watt resistor, which partly fixed it, it is now an intermittent fault.
Should I look around more and find a 500 ohm resistor? Would the 30 ohm difference be an issue?

Thank you in advance for your help if you are available to answer this.

Regards Clive Denholm, Victoria Australia.
I measure the thermistor (in the motor) while the the thing was "cold" and it would run for a while. It measure around 640Ω and it would run for a while before the overtemp fault light comes on. I replaced with a 500 ohm and it's been running great since. Haven't checked the thermistor value after warmup though. Maybe your 470Ω is a little low. Don't know what the specs say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I measure the thermistor (in the motor) while the the thing was "cold" and it would run for a while. It measure around 640Ω and it would run for a while before the overtemp fault light comes on. I replaced with a 500 ohm and it's been running great since. Haven't checked the thermistor value after warmup though. Maybe your 470Ω is a little low. Don't know what the specs say.
Thank you for your advice, I have ordered a 500 ohm resistor to replace the 470 ohm, kind regards Clive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts