Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with experience mounting tires onto ATV/UTV wheels by hand. I have bead breaker and spoon tools i use for antique car / tractor tires - typically 15 or 16 inch which may be a looser fit. Just wondering if its practical to try and mount or dismount 12 inch tires on stock steel wheels on a Polaris 500 by hand vs taking them to a shop.

And would you take to ATV dealer or Tire Shop and what would you expect to pay?

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
81 Posts
Changing Tires

:)Sometimes even a dealer doesn't have the proper tools to change the tires, without damaging rims of tires. I found that out long ago, having had ATV's since 1983. I finally purchased an ATV bead breaker from James Lucky Racing. This thing really works. You adjust it for the size of the rim, and start working your way around the tire. Use a little soapy water around the bead to help lube it for removal of the tire. At first it doesn't seem like tire is moving. Just keep working your way around the rim, and the tire will come off. Works great, and I wish I had it before dealers had beat up my rims and tires on my older machines!:)
Anyone with experience mounting tires onto ATV/UTV wheels by hand. I have bead breaker and spoon tools i use for antique car / tractor tires - typically 15 or 16 inch which may be a looser fit. Just wondering if its practical to try and mount or dismount 12 inch tires on stock steel wheels on a Polaris 500 by hand vs taking them to a shop.

And would you take to ATV dealer or Tire Shop and what would you expect to pay?

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - I think I have what I need to break beads from rims - I was more concerned with actually removing tire - what I have available is spoon type hand tire tools circa 1955. Work great with 1955 car tires / wheels - and use a rubber hammer on rubber bead to mount. Hand tools don't work for beans on 1957 14 inch GM or Ford wheels - so was wondering how 12 inch ATV wheels compare.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have done it by hand with both Honda and Polaris rims using spoons and a vehicle weight to break the bead, however I now take it to Discount Tire where the charge is minimual or they do it free if you are a really good customer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is well worth the $40-50 I pay the local shop to dismount and mount four tires on wheels. They have it done in 10 minutes where it would take me a few hours to do it by hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm going to give that tool a try. I've changed more truck tires than I want to remember. There are times when having the ability to change a tire in remote areas is a big plus. Some of us live in places where it would be a long trip to get a tire changed.

:)Sometimes even a dealer doesn't have the proper tools to change the tires, without damaging rims of tires. I found that out long ago, having had ATV's since 1983. I finally purchased an ATV bead breaker from James Lucky Racing. This thing really works. You adjust it for the size of the rim, and start working your way around the tire. Use a little soapy water around the bead to help lube it for removal of the tire. At first it doesn't seem like tire is moving. Just keep working your way around the rim, and the tire will come off. Works great, and I wish I had it before dealers had beat up my rims and tires on my older machines!:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Remember .... soapy water!! swab it good .... lube is always good! Also there are a slew of videos on youtube on the subject.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It can be dun with spoons, the more lube the better. But the smaller the tire the harder it is. I would rather spoon semi tires than car tires but it can be dun

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've seen videos on youtube, they jack up a vehicle that has a drop hitch, they place metal plate or a piece of wood, then let the jack down .. lol ... it busts the bead slicker than snot! Things like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts