Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I have made the best mod to my machine (at least for me)!!! I bought 24*36 tractor trailer mud flaps at Northern Tool for $11 each (I got 4). I was able to make wheel wells for the front to stop the mud, water, and dirt from flying all over under the hood. In addition I made containment for the back wheels.

I am trying to post pictures but get an upload error every time I try:confused:

2012 Polaris Ranger 400

I added the pictures to a photo album in my profile. Go check it out- not sure why I can load there, but not in the post???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Nice job. My '06 has a different front end, apparently it is MUCH better designed than yours was. When it came from the factory, there was nothing to keep mud and dirt from going under the hood??? That is crazy.

Maybe I should buy some of those to make floor mats for my truck. I've given up on finding mats tough enough to last but deep enough to contain some dirt. My truck doesn't get all that much use but the mats never last.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is crazy, I guess a way to save money and offers it cheaper. Mud would pack under the seat into the engine compartment and in front around headlights and electronics.

It was a fun mod and something all 400 (at least 2012) owners should consider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
I do get lots of mud under the seat, might have to think about this mod back there.

How did you mount them? Zip ties? How did you make the holes in the tough rubber flaps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mud and noise control

I did the front with zip ties and the back with self tapping screws w/ washers. I did the back first with the screws and then decided to try the front w no holes in the frame.

I drilled holes in the rubber, it is 1/4 thick on the edges and is very tough.

I have about 10 hours on the back with muddy riding and two or so on the front.

The back was very easy, just curved a fairly straight cut piece. For the front, I mad a pattern out of card board first and test fit.

To cut the mud flaps I used fisker shop boss hardware snipper. The made the cutting much easier.

I also made a cover that from the same material that goes over top of the rear cavity. I did this to keep the mud I am spaying while cleaning from going on the rear drive components. In addition all of this helps with noise control.

This has cut my cleaning by 3/4 the time
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top