Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Polaris Ranger Northstar I bought in June 2021. I had tracks installed and I use it groom our xc ski trails with a Tidd Tech 6ft G2 groomer I drag behind. It was working well for a while and then I started to get some bucking when the load was a little greater especially when going around corners. It seems to soon to have a belt problem but I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same situation. The problem is only getting worse. I detached the groomer and drove the Ranger at a higher speed for about 15 minutes without a problem except for a steep uphill where was some slight bucking. It seems like a belt problem but can I get some feedback.
Thanks,
Jim
Snow Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your belt is probably getting wore into an hour glass shape due to the load. Seen this on generals, ranger and rzrs when using high and starting out on inclines or with heavy loads. If it is, you'll need a new belt. You could try using low range if you haven't already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been using low range all the time when I pulling the grooming device. Can you notice a difference when driving the Ranger and switch from low to high or sport? I don’t notice any difference.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was always keeping the lever in low and also the switch on the dash in Low as well.
Don't use work mode for what your doing. It's probably part of your issue. A lot of times it does more harm than good for the belt. And a bad choice of words on Polaris part for that mode. It's good for easing out of the garage or getting it on the trailer. But loads the clutch more slowly allowing it to slip more on engagement. Use standard mode for heavier work. It will load the clutch quicker via throttle input and provide more positive belt grip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't use work mode for what your doing. It's probably part of your issue. A lot of times it does more harm than good for the belt. And a bad choice of words on Polaris part for that mode. It's good for easing out of the garage or getting it on the trailer. But loads the clutch more slowly allowing it to slip more on engagement. Use standard mode for heavier work. It will load the clutch quicker via throttle input and provide more positive belt grip.
Thanks, that’s good advice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2021 Polaris Ranger Northstar I bought in June 2021. I had tracks installed and I use it groom our xc ski trails with a Tidd Tech 6ft G2 groomer I drag behind. It was working well for a while and then I started to get some bucking when the load was a little greater especially when going around corners. It seems to soon to have a belt problem but I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same situation. The problem is only getting worse. I detached the groomer and drove the Ranger at a higher speed for about 15 minutes without a problem except for a steep uphill where was some slight bucking. It seems like a belt problem but can I get some feedback.
Thanks,
Jim View attachment 27085
You may want to consider a gilomen tune and torque monster clutch upgrade. Recommend for heavy tires and likely needed for tracks, improving clutch engagement with better belt life. You can email them to get their recommendations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How many miles on the ranger? To fix your problems immediately just throw a new belt on.

My suggestion is new belt often, always in low range, and yes as others suggested a clutch kit for higher belt grip. Between the tracks and the sled that's a good bit of weight. I would consider the issue you are having (belt slip) is completely normal under those conditions. The other thing I would do is don't baby the throttle when pulling out. Kind of goose it to bring the RPM up quickly. RPM=Belt Grip. Getting the load moving is the issue and what is wearing the belt out prematurely. When easing into the throttle under a load belt slip is almost always going to happen.

If you plan to do this with this machine for a long time you might want to consider or research a DURA CLUTCH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One thing I noticed after I had my tracks installed and after the break in period was a bucking feeling every time I made a turn going uphill or under some type of load. It turned out one of my rear tracks was ratcheting. Probably stretched a bit. Snugged up the track a bit and now it works great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cant remember the exact name of the tool but it’s in the manual that came with my prospector pro tracks from Polaris. I was able to order one online. Honestly it was a pain to use so I just went by feel when tightening it up. It didn’t take much and you want to be careful not to over tighten the track. My tracks are a pretty simple one bolt adjustment. I knew what track it was by having my wife watch them while I made a turn and she could see it slip over the wheel cogs. I would then tighten it a little at a time then went out and checked each adjustment before I went more. I think I did a total of maybe 1 1/2 full turns on the bolt is all. Hasn’t been a problem at all after that.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate Crew
208 Posts
One thing I noticed after I had my tracks installed and after the break in period was a bucking feeling every time I made a turn going uphill or under some type of load. It turned out one of my rear tracks was ratcheting. Probably stretched a bit. Snugged up the track a bit and now it works great!
See post #5. I have Camso’s and this would work for newer Prospectors too, possibly other brands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cant remember the exact name of the tool but it’s in the manual that came with my prospector pro tracks from Polaris. I was able to order one online. Honestly it was a pain to use so I just went by feel when tightening it up. It didn’t take much and you want to be careful not to over tighten the track. My tracks are a pretty simple one bolt adjustment. I knew what track it was by having my wife watch them while I made a turn and she could see it slip over the wheel cogs. I would then tighten it a little at a time then went out and checked each adjustment before I went more. I think I did a total of maybe 1 1/2 full turns on the bolt is all. Hasn’t been a problem at all after that.
Many thanks for the valuable advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts