Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Thought I would consulidate my top mods into one place for all you 400 owners.

I have a 2012 ranger 400 HO.

1) My first and best mod was to add wheel wells to help contain dirt and mud on the front and back tires. You can find pictures And write up here http://www.rangerforums.net/forum/general-discussion/8725-mud-flaps-control-mud-dirt.html
2) my second favorite mode is my 5k badland winch (from harbor frieght). I bought a wide winch mount on ebay. The winch was like $150 and mount 50. Worth every penny. *I am sure I get stuck more with the winch, it has worked every time. Here is the mount*
link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-Mini-RANGER-400-500-EV-Wide-WINCH-MOUNT-#ht_1157wt_922
this is for the 5k, if you go with a smaller winch, get the standard bracket.*
3) back up light- I use this almost every day( well night). I got an led light from Norther Tool and wired to back up alarm. Here is a link with part numbers and details.*
http://www.rangerforums.net/forum/general-discussion/8732-ranger-400-back-up-light.html
4) review mirror with interior lights. This is another of my top useful mods. I found an old car review mirror at a thrift store for a buck. I had previously purchased a mirror and mount on eBay from jtsports. For $24. The seller was fine the mirror worked, but was a bit cheap. POLARIS RZR RAZOR UTV REAR VIEW MIRROR | eBay
I took the mount(basically a clamp around the roll bar with a flat plate to mount the mirror) and mounted th auto mirror with a screw. Drilled two holes. *I wired the lights to an extra fuse terminal under the front hood. Really nice to have the interior light, and oh ya the mirror is nice too:)
4) Rear window mod. If you have looked 400 rear windows they are expensive and not too available. I saw lots of $40 plastic windows for other machines, but over $100 for the same for a 400.*
I bought a plastic front window for a rhino and it fits the back with out modification. I tied it to the top bar and side bar at bottom. It lacks about 2 inches on either side (47by 26 window), but looks and fits well.
I bought mine at bass pro for $39. Here is a link to the same window on line for reference.
UTV Front Windshield in Black
The 55 wide one might work as well, but I know the 47 wide works. It looks like it would also work on the front, if you want a cheap front window.
I will post pictures at some point in my album
5) front tilt lexan window. I got mine on eBay
| eBay
The seller was great and the window is sweet.

I aso bought a Polaris roof with my machine

Well I have had to do a lot of research with each mod and felt some other 400 owner might get some benefit!!

I am looking for more mos, so post yours as well!
Let me know if you have questions!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice mods!

I only have the plastic top and full lexan front windshield. All we really wanted. Of course as mentioned on another post, I added mirrors and a back-up light.

Plan to use ours year round. Will be parked in a garage. Mostly a work vehicle. We heat our home with a outdoor wood burner. Every spring we go out and cut up 8-10 cords of firewood for the season two years from now (Helps season the wood that way)

Plan to have some fun with it, but not intentional mudding. Use it to go visit our grandson 1/4 mile away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
would like to see pics of your fender guards, I bought mine a month ago, and all I've done is ride in mud and snow since. Great Post.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mud control

No I have not seen any heat. It is still open in the back, by the hitch.

The biggest thing that helped with dust was the back window.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, I forgot to mention the tie down anchored in my bed. Got the info here to make them from freeze plugs

Here is the link to the plug if anyone is interested. Dorman Products - 02602. I got them at autozone for a couple bucks. Just replace the bolt with an eyebolt.
Dorman Products - 02602

·
Registered
4 Posts
Benz Silencer

How do you like the Silencer now that it has been on for a while? I've not found too many reviews of them beyond what is stated on their website. How much quieter is it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still like the Benz. I sometimes take it off for hard trail riding, but it improves sound about 25% (guess).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts