Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 700XP that's new to me. Bought it for my kids(and myself) for Christmas. Put speedometer, winch, turn signal on it. I kept it stored and covered in a chicken barn until X-mas.

For some reason it runs perfect when you first crank it up but after a couple minutes it chugs when you try to just cruise slowly. Of course you can gun it and it runs perfect. It idles perfectly. It just doesn't seem to want to go slow.

With two young kids I need it to cruise around our neighborhood.... not fly. Please help.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a 2006 700XP that's new to me. Bought it for my kids(and myself) for Christmas. Put speedometer, winch, turn signal on it. I kept it stored and covered in a chicken barn until X-mas.

For some reason it runs perfect when you first crank it up but after a couple minutes it chugs when you try to just cruise slowly. Of course you can gun it and it runs perfect. It idles perfectly. It just doesn't seem to want to go slow.

With two young kids I need it to cruise around our neighborhood.... not fly. Please help.
kw,
When it starts chugging, stop and slowly unscrew the gas cap, if you hear it sucking in air your tank vent is plugged, very common. If it's not that then I would check the fuel pressure, the pump could be going south.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kw,
When it starts chugging, stop and slowly unscrew the gas cap, if you hear it sucking in air your tank vent is plugged, very common. If it's not that then I would check the fuel pressure, the pump could be going south.

I took the cap off but didn't do it slowly. I will try again. Should I also try to put some type of fuel cleaner?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couldn't hurt. Try some Seafoam. Awesome stuff!!!! You have to unscrew the cap slowly.

Put in seafoam no change. Still runs perfect until it gets warm. Still idles and runs great when you accelerate. It just runs sluggish when you try to ease around.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The machine sat for some period of time between your purchase and Christmas I take it?

If so, first thing, is your battery fully charged? If its weak or bad you can get all sorts of weird issues with the electronics not receiving the proper amount of voltage.

Secondly, have you put fresh fuel in it, completely drained the fuel tank and fuel lines?

Third, take your air cleaner out, clean out the box and if you can and know how take that air cleaner box off, and spray some carb cleaner inside your intake, spray it down really good, let it set for about 10 minutes to soak then fire it up and test it out. Could just be a dirty intake creating an air flow/fuel mixture problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mystery Machine

It did have a little moisture in the tank. Cleaned tank. New fuel. New plugs. It ran a bit better but not much. Once I drove it for a while and it got warmed up it would start running sluggish Like someone was riding a clutch kinda jerking you but not as hard. So same old story going slow but runs great when you are driving aggressively.

Over the weekend I got stuck in the mud a few times and had to put it in 4 wheel drive several times. After that it ran great for a few minutes. It was nice and easy going slow. I got back home after 45 min and drove it. It started running sluggish again.

It's a frustrating mystery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mystery Machine

Well I am down to the replacement Phase.I Ihave seen a lot of other folks that have had the exact problem but I could never seem to find a solution. The suggestions lead to the following: throttle position sensor, TBAP, TBAP harness, ECU and a fuel pump...So which one do I start with and where can I buy them without paying an arm and a leg?

Oh, once I get my problem solved I will post thesolution.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First off no check engine light?
Check your spark plug caps for carbon build up inside. Black residue from poor cap to plug contact.
Also check the electrical connections for cleanliness and dielectric grease.
Run some wynn's injector cleaner through it.
My buddies 800 sportsman had a fault code producing similar results as you speak of and it turned out to be the sensor on the intake. Mass air flow sensor (MAF). It has a bosch number on it and a word of advice is punch the number in on e bay. CHEAP in comparison and exact same bosch part which is used in the automotive industry extensively.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice. I had already ordered a TBAP and a Throttle control sensor. They will be here today. I'll see if that works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts