Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I recently bought a used Ranger EV Li-ion that would not charge (way below book value) - I thought I had diagnosed it down to the 12V battery, but could still not get the on-board delta-Q to charge the main (Brammo batteries). The symptom is a sequence of flashing LEDs on the charger and charger relay clicks - from what I can tell the BMC is cycling the charger through the installed programs in an infinite loop. I was able to trickle charge the main pack and the Ranger drives fine. Delta-q was helpful - I verified the charger is working as expected. Polaris was not helpful at all - support site will not provide any help to diagnose - (they will not provide documentation or the digital wrench tools to diagnose). The local dealer admits they don't usually work on EV's and expect to replace the batteries at >$10k - I have read several posts about dealers replacing everything and still not fixing the root cause. I could not find any documentation on the Brammo batteries (they seem fine, but are blinking a code with green LEDs when the ignition is on). If anyone has documentation on the battery system (or how the Brammo-based system normally charges), I would greatly appreciate it. I could replace the battery system, but it would be a shame if it's not necessary...

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
This is going to be a challenge. Brammo was purchased by Polaris. Polaris used their technology in the Victory Empulse and the Ranger EV LI. The Ranger implementation was a problem from the start and the motorcycle was discontinued in 2017. This is an extreme long shot: try contacting Craig Bramscher he might point you to someone that is willing to assist.
Brammo, Inc.
Brammo Bullhead Logo.png
IndustryVehicle Manufacturing
FoundedAshland, Oregon (2002)
FounderCraig Bramscher
HeadquartersTalent, Oregon
United States
Area servedNorth America
Key peopleCraig Bramscher (Founder)
ProductsElectric vehicle drivetrains
OwnerCummins Inc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is it?

Get a service manual for it so you can decode the flashes and troubleshoot the problem.
thanks - sorry, it's a 2016 and it looks brand new. I did buy the service manual, but it only shows you the charger LED and Diagnostic trouble codes (SPN/FMI). There are no faults shown in the charger or the instrument panel. I also bought a diagnostic cable for the charger that allowed me to download charge logs and change the algorithms - but the charger seems healthy. The LED's on the batteries themselves are behind a glass window (had to remove the side fenders on the Ranger) and they are flashing some repeating patterns - these are the codes I would like to understand. The battery LEDs are flashing green, so they may not have a fault either. The guy I bought it from inherited it from his uncle who passed away - it looks like they had let the aux battery discharge to 6V and the main pack to 39V (which is still a relatively safe 3.25V per cell). It seems like a battery controller issue (maybe code/configs got corrupted when the aux battery died?), but I'm afraid the dealer will not know how to fix it without replacing everything. I bought an adapter from the digital wrench socket to an OBD2 , but haven't found software that can correctly talk to the VCM. The Polaris "Digital Wrench" is only sold to dealers. It's been interesting, but frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is going to be a challenge. Brammo was purchased by Polaris. Polaris used their technology in the Victory Empulse and the Ranger EV LI. The Ranger implementation was a problem from the start and the motorcycle was discontinued in 2017. This is an extreme long shot: try contacting Craig Bramscher he might point you to someone that is willing to assist.
Brammo, Inc.
Brammo Bullhead Logo.png
IndustryVehicle Manufacturing
FoundedAshland, Oregon (2002)
FounderCraig Bramscher
HeadquartersTalent, Oregon
United States
Area servedNorth America
Key peopleCraig Bramscher (Founder)
ProductsElectric vehicle drivetrains
OwnerCummins Inc.
thanks! worth a try...

After a lot of digging, it seems like Polaris tried to use a lead-acid charger to charge lithium ion batteries. The Battery controller looks like it uses the "tap method" to change the delta-Q charging algorithms on-the-fly. If the charger gets stuck on an algorithm (maybe due to an error in the BMC), it overcharges the Li-ion pack - I have seen a few posts on this forum and others that sound like that failure mode. I asked Polaris if there was a Service Bulletin and they said no. I have had other Polaris equipment that works great, but I probably bought a headache here...
thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts