Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a 2002 UTV Series 11 Professional Series 6x6. Very low hours (97 hours). It hasn't been used much in recent years. From the paperwork, it had 85 hours on it in 2012. It's been stored in the garage for at least a year with fuel in it, and it doesn't start well at all. When it does start after a lot of cranking, it doesn't idle without stalling. It does eventually start and will run on a test drive, but it won't maintain idle. I can also smell gas after the test drive. I'm guessing the carburetor is gummed up and needs cleaning/replacing. Also, since it's 16 yrs old I expect the fuel lines and other rubber parts need replacing. Maybe spark plug, too. What would you guys do to this unit before purchasing it?
Another related question: under the hood there are these 2 plastic housings with badly deteriorating foam inside. Just touch it and it crumbles. I assume these are air cleaners, or pre-cleaners, but I can't find their replacement anywhere on the net. Have they been superceded by a newer filter?
It has a winch on the front and trailer hitches front and rear. Manual dump. No scratches or dents anywhere.

What do you think this unit is worth as is? After fixing? Are parts readily available? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Buyer beware!

Thinking of buying a 2002 UTV Series 11 Professional Series 6x6. Very low hours (97 hours). It hasn't been used much in recent years. From the paperwork, it had 85 hours on it in 2012. It's been stored in the garage for at least a year with fuel in it, and it doesn't start well at all. When it does start after a lot of cranking, it doesn't idle without stalling. It does eventually start and will run on a test drive, but it won't maintain idle. I can also smell gas after the test drive. I'm guessing the carburetor is gummed up and needs cleaning/replacing. Also, since it's 16 yrs old I expect the fuel lines and other rubber parts need replacing. Maybe spark plug, too. What would you guys do to this unit before purchasing it?
Another related question: under the hood there are these 2 plastic housings with badly deteriorating foam inside. Just touch it and it crumbles. I assume these are air cleaners, or pre-cleaners, but I can't find their replacement anywhere on the net. Have they been superceded by a newer filter?
It has a winch on the front and trailer hitches front and rear. Manual dump. No scratches or dents anywhere.

What do you think this unit is worth as is? After fixing? Are parts readily available? Any help would be appreciated.
If you are serious about buying this rig, plan on spending $ to get it back into ridable condition and this could get real expensive real quick. As you describe it, draining the fuel and adding fresh back, along with changing ALL fluids and filters would be the beginning and it would go from there. There is no way to put a dollar amount on it. A vehicle that old would not be worth much and I would venture to say you will spend more than it is worth gettin it in ridable condition if that is even possible. It is a gamble. The only way I would purchase it would be doing all of the work myself and paying but a few hundred dollars knowing I will put several thousand into it and may end up with a pile of junk.

·
Registered
206 Posts
First of all I wouldn't put any work into it before I would buy it. Like stated above it will be a sort of gamble. The idling problem will be due to bad fuel and you right gummed up carb. Floats are probably stuck and that is why your smelling the fuel. Definitely will need to drain fuel, and rebuild/replace carb. Also, change oil, oil filter, air filter, and front diff / rear transmission fluid. Changing the drive belt and lubing the clutches would be a good idea as well. Check and lubricate all A-Arm bushings, replace if needed. Check and grease all wheel bearings as well. If you all of these things yourself, it will still run you between $400 and $1,000 depending on carb options and drive belt cost. Just depends if your willing to invest a that amount of time and money on the vehicle. For the right price (Less than probably $1,200 vehicle cost) I would be willing to chance it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Thought I'd update the forum as to what happened. I wound up buying the 2002 6x6 unit and troubleshooting it myself. After sitting for so long, it indeed had significant fuel delivery issues. I wound up replacing the carburetor (yes, a <$40 Chinese-made one), fuel filter, fuel pickup filter, all fuel lines, removing and cleaning fuel tank. I also bought a new fuel pump but wound up not using it. I finally got it started and after adjusting fuel mixture it ran and idled extremely well. I also changed the oil as I could smell gas in the oil. It is now starting and running fine.

A couple of notes relating to the Chinese carburetor: Out of the box, the float adjustment was WAY off, measuring 0.75" rather than the specified 0.51-0.55". I doubt if it would have run at this setting as the fuel level would have been very low. Also, the pilot mixture screw was 3-4 turns too rich from the recommended setting. All the internal jets were the correct size, so no problems there. If I had just bolted the new carb on, it would have been an unpleasant experience. I'm sure the experts on here would check these settings before installing the new carb, but I thought I would point it out anyway.

I have now driven it every day for a couple of weeks with no problems. Starts right up, idle is stable and low allowing easy shifting. So, this has turned out to be a positive experience thus far.

As I only live about a mile from my local golf course, I throw my clubs in the back and drive to the course using a gravel back road. Great fun to start out the day.

Thanks to this site I learned a tremendous amount about my Polaris, and I'm confident I can maintain it myself going forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts