Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at purchasing a new 2010 Polaris Ranger EV. It has never been used and until recently had been in a dealer's showroom. It is now stored outside. The dealer is offering a discounted price, but we have concerns about the batteries being idle for so long. Is this a valid concern? Should we be looking at other issues with this UTV since it has been sitting for 4 years? This is our first UTV, so we have no experience with this matter. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You mentioned that it's new. How many hours on the meter? Have they changed the charger to the new style?The original chargers were known for burning the the output terminal(big plug coming out on the drivers side) If the machine has not been used and the batteries have not been recharged and have been kept on the charger and not allowed to drain all the way and have been kept with the correct amount of distilled water they should be OK. But they may have loos some of their charging capacity.If you buy the machine I would not pay more than $7000.00. Hope this helps

·
Registered
378 Posts
We are looking at purchasing a new 2010 Polaris Ranger EV. It has never been used and until recently had been in a dealer's showroom. It is now stored outside. The dealer is offering a discounted price, but we have concerns about the batteries being idle for so long. Is this a valid concern? Should we be looking at other issues with this UTV since it has been sitting for 4 years? This is our first UTV, so we have no experience with this matter. Thanks for your help.

Ask the dealer for a quote with new batteries and charger installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The salesman said the UTV had never been used and was a base model, so I am assuming that it has the original charger. I asked him what battery maintenance had been done during these years and he wasn't able to answer, so maybe I should assume that nothing has been done to maintain the batteries. They are asking $8700. I did call him back and asked what replacement batteries would cost. I have not had a response yet. Maybe we should just go for a 2014 model instead...

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
2014 Ranger E

We just agreed to purchase a 2014 with hard top, winch, street legal kit and sales tax at $13,800.

Not sure how many improvements Polaris has made on the Ranger E over the past few years but for about $5,100 more you can have the most current model and perhaps a few extras, like a hard top, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You made the right call, those batteries would have been kept charged over that time, and the you won't have the charger issue of the earlier models

One of the guys on here installed a flow rite battery top up system, it will save heaps of time and save your batteries.

I just noticed you had enquired about the lithium batteries on another post i started., look after these lead ones and in 3-4years, lithium batteries should come down a bit more.

And don't run it down to LOW, it kills the batteries

have fun with your new toy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two weeks ago we went to get a 2014 EV model. It still has not arrived and now have been told it will be close to another two weeks before it will be delivered. We are starting to second guess our decision of getting a Polaris and may look at a Bad Boy Buggy electric model. Have any of you had any experience with the Bad Boy Buggy?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a 2010 Polaris EV that has had a number of issues.(starting with a burned harness,burned output pin connector,bad throttle pedal assemnbly,jhad to replace the DElta Q charger with new type that does not burn output pins,replaced batteries and had to repair battery trays as a result of corrosion from battery acid and replaced battery hold down bolts.All for a grand total of about $3000.00. All those repairs as a result of Polaris screw-up on setting the wrong charger algorithm!!!!!. I also own a Bad boy Buggy xt that is about four years old and have never had on single problem.Yes the old Bad boy buggies had all kind of problems with transaxle breaking as well as having no disc brakes.The BB is much quieter than the EV(motor) however the ride is lousy and the quality of the frame and finish goods is not up to the snuff of the EV.If I had to buy a new electric vehicle I would check out the new BB. I have seen them and they seem nice but dont know how they are holding up. My gut feeling is that they have good reviews and much longer battery life now that they run on 72 volts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the insight. We really liked the EV that we test drove, but it sounds like it would be a good idea to test drive the BB as well. I know that the BB costs more, but it might pay off in the long run.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
We decided that having a dealership network was worth some value. Our local Polaris dealer has sold several EVs and seems supportive of the product. Polaris also owns an electric motorcycle company so we think there will be some potential to cross over to Li-Ion batteries in the future.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Welcome to the EV family.Enjoy your new machine but I would recommend that you change the charger algorithm.Your batteries will not last long if Polaris has not changed the 73 algorithm to 71 or 11.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Thanks to this forum, and you, I have asked the technician to validate the charging algorithm and change it if it is not 11 or 71. I am not interested in quick charging and want the water to stay in the battery!

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Charging

Which algorithm 71 or 11 provides the least chance of "boiling" the batteries while charging? I am not in need of short charge times as this EV will be used as a work machine on property and can be plugged in for days between use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.