Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some things I have discovered in less that 1.5 hours on my instrument panel. You need a rear bumper. You need a good back up light. I purchased a plexi fold down windshield, a polymer top (plastic), and a back glass (plexi). You need CV boot guards on the front and the back. Its amazing you pay upwards of 12 G's for this machine then you find yourself purchasing ,from Polaris, 4 thousand dollars worth of upgrades to ensure you do not damage parts that could cost you 4 thousand dollars. The 2012 Ranger Crew 800 is ready to drive on pavement and gravel, you need to spend thousands of dollars to get this thing ready for the woods, if you do not want to damage it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My 2011 Yamaha Rhino 700 was the same way. I didn't purchase a bunch of add-ons but yeah if you are really needing to drive far back into the woods you'll definitely need a few grand worth of added accessories to truly protect the vehicle. Seems pretty pathetic given the amount of money spent like you said on the machine, and given its supposed to be a Utility Vehicle meant for heavy duty offroad use you would think it would come fully protected from the factory, hell no, they want you to spend a few grand more on some more parts, or repairs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions on part add ons?

The Polaris accessories are pricy. Any suggestions on after market parts like bumpers, skid plates, lights?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just google your parts and accessories really, each aftermarket dealer has sales at different times it hard to keep track. Moose Utility, UTV Inc. are a couple I could think of right off hand. But google is going to become your best friend in finding the best prices on accessories, and don't forget Ebay and Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The Rhino came with CV Boot Guards from the factory along with full underbelly skid plates, which are better than nothing, but very thin sheet metal, and in a few spots even plastic. Not exactly for severe offroad use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now have 40 miles on the odometer with a punctured passenger front tire (beyond repair), and a puntured driver side rear tire that requires repeated slime. I have not rode this thing without my kids. I have not driven this thing hard at all. The dealer wanted 300$ for the front and rear cv boot guard set.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
And many of us have many hours and miles without tire damage. Tire damage is almost always the fault of the driver, so don't be down on the machine.

Hope your experience improves soon!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree

And many of us have many hours and miles without tire damage. Tire damage is almost always the fault of the driver, so don't be down on the machine.

Hope your experience improves soon!!!
I have been riding ATV/UTV's for over 16 years now. Yes, I am 32 so maybe I am old, but I have rode the hardest trails with passengers over rocks, woods, and hills, never puncturing a tire. I would take this as my fault if I had been out riding with my friends on open trails drinking beer, but I wasn't. I was driving around the edge of a bean field in Kentucky next to the river, nothing hard or fast. I am very disappointed in paying 12,000 dollars for a machine that gets a flat tire every time you take it off road.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not a tank !

I agree with Russ. When it comes to tire damage, or any damage to your machine, it is usually the drivers fault. I know they are a big heavy machine, but you are not driving a tank !! You have to be a lot more careful with these, then you are with a 4 wheeler, or damage is going to happen. I installed the Polaris nerf bars, and rear brush guard to help prevent damage to my machine. As for a backup light, check out my post in the mod section.
I have been riding ATV/UTV's for over 16 years now. Yes, I am 32 so maybe I am old, but I have rode the hardest trails with passengers over rocks, woods, and hills, never puncturing a tire. I would take this as my fault if I had been out riding with my friends on open trails drinking beer, but I wasn't. I was driving around the edge of a bean field in Kentucky next to the river, nothing hard or fast. I am very disappointed in paying 12,000 dollars for a machine that gets a flat tire every time you take it off road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts