Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Polaris Ranger EV
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

My name is Robb with Atlas ESS Inc. We are advertising and posting on this site to determine if there is a market for our LFP batteries in the Ranger EV.

Cost
Flooded lead acid batteries from Polaris cost $280 each x 8 = $2,240 for a set.

Our Atlas ESS 3.7kWh 48v LFP battery sells for $2,800 less a 10% discount for forum members = $2,520. So for $280 more you get a LFP battery that will probaby never wear out and last the life of your Ranger EV. Compare that to 300 to 500 cycles for a lead acid battery pack. Of course you probably already know the advantages of LFP.

We offer a 30 day money back guarantee. If you are not happy return it for a full refund.

Range
Our 3.7kWh LFP battery has a range of 10 to 20 miles per charge. Lead-acid 14 to 25 miles. Testing was done in our 2015 Ranger EV with 10 psi in Sedona Coyote AT tires on pavement, gravel road, desert sand and nasty, wet costal rain forest trails in the Pacific Northwest. We will post videos of the different trail rides to show the conditions. We only did a couple of tests with the factory lead-acid pack (at 30psi). We were too excited to try LFP. Other posts give similar ranges for lead-acid. With LFP batteries we determined our Ranger EV uses 200 watt/hr/mile on pavement and 385 watt/hr/mile on muddy trails and 285 watt/hr/mile on gravel roads. These are rough numbers.

Weight and Ride Quality
Our 2015 Ranger EV is 600 pounds lighter with the 3.7kWh battery installed. 3.7 LFP battery weighs 80 pounds. Lead-acid 680 lbs. Ground clearance went from 10” up to 13" at the trailer hitch and 14.5 inches at the side frame rails. See photos. The ride quality appears unaffected. Still smooth, soaks up the bumps, maybe a little firmer. Acceration is improved, the fun factor is way up and smiles per mile are off the chart!

Design
Our design is different from other LFP batteries. No programming. Nothing to fuss with. Not a science project. Every part can be replaced by the owner. Heavy duty T6061 aluminum case with stainless steel fasteners. Very water resistant. Our Atlas ESS BMS has UL508 certification with 11,000 units shipped since 2013. Cells are new first quality CALB 72CAMFI from CALB USA in California. We could sell a kit without the cells for customers over seas and DIYers. We want to support the DIY community. You can find the specs here:
The 3.7kWh design is based on our Universal batteries we sell for the solar market.
Our batteries are made in Monroe Washington. We can ship anywhere.

Installation
Installation is straight forward. The battery pack is attached with four bolts through the frame rails. Cables are included to connect to the controller and contactor. We will post photos. Most of the work is riping out the lead acid batteries and their mounting hardware, then painting over the surface rust on the frame rails. As you may know, the factory fuel gauge does not work well with LFP. There are many cheap after market ones available. I use the hour meter. More on this later. The Ranger EV has room for four 3.7kWh batteries under the seats. I think the sweet spot is two 3.7kWh batteries giving a range of 20 to 40 miles per charge.

10.25kWh LFP battery for the Ranger EV
Last year we made three LFP batteries to test in the Ranger EV. 10.25kWh, 5.1kWh and 3.7kWh. Last winter I spent 3 months testing our 10.25kWh battery in desert around Lake Havasu AZ. I put 120 hours on it with no problems. The 5.1kWh battery is working fine in a 2011 Ranger EV on a ranch in Northern California. I think the 10.25 and 3.7 batteries cover all the needs. You can fit two 10.25kWh batteries in The Ranger EV for a total of 21kWh’s.

Check out our photos. Videos coming.

If we get enough interest we will put our Ranger EV batteries into production.

No payment required to reserve an LFP battery for your Ranger EV. Send me an email.
You can pay online with a credit card when it is ready to ship.

I can answer any technical questions you have.

We also build custom battery packs. Any capacity, any voltage. Well almost any. We've been building lithium batteries for 11 years.

Thanks for reading all this.

Robb

1 - 1 of 1 Posts