Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Paul here from MN. I've got a 2013 Ranger 800 that I've had for about 3 years now. Seems to be the red headed stepchild of Rangers. Same year had a 900XP and the poor 800 seems to have gotten thrown out with the bath water on a lot of things.

Regardless, my issue is with my windshield. It appears to be very similar to a SuperATV full polycarbonate unit by the way it fits and looks compared to the one on their website. There was a strip of window tint across the top that was all bubbled so I peeled it off leaving the gummy residue behind. I took some Goo Gone to that which did very little even after sitting overnight. So I went off and tried to sand and polish. Went with a headlight refresh kit and then up several grits right up to 6000 and then a buffing compound on a 3" foamy pad on a drill. Now I have a 10" wide strip of very fine swirls across the top that refract the sun like crazy. Also tried McGuires plastic polish with the same setup. Also tried the heat gun trick to no avail. Wondering if anyone has any other thoughts before I pull the pin on another from SuperATV? I'd really rather put the money into a lift and dual battery setup than a new windshield. :cry:

Thanks in advance and thanks for the add to the forum. Some great info here...

Paul

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't really have any experience with polishing it back, but you might be able to try another strip of shade film to see if it helps before throwing it out.

Also you might check into plastic polishing on fish tank forums, I know the guys who run acrylic tanks have to deal with scratches and you might get some good pointers there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never thought of the fish tank forums. Thanks! Also was told that the Novus kit may work. Will try that as well.. Will be a couple weeks before I can get home and try it but will do before and after pics, or maybe a vid. I'm sure I'm not the only moron that's tried to sand scratches out of a windshield.... maybe... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’ve had great luck removing glue by using wd40 and soft rags. But sounds like you scratched the plexi and that’s gonna stay scratched. May just clean it up and put a vinyl adhesive strip with a logo across it or more tint. Nothing to lose at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did try the WD40 trick as well. Tried that and scraping with a razor blade etc. I think the tint glue had just baked on in the sun and was part of the poly. Should have left it at that and as you say put new tint on. The swirl marks from sanding are too low from the top now so if this final buffing with Novus doesn’t work (also recommended on the fish tank forums) I think this windshield will end up as a chip deflector for my milling machine.
Pictures or video to follow so all can learn from my stupidity.
Cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did try the WD40 trick as well. Tried that and scraping with a razor blade etc. I think the tint glue had just baked on in the sun and was part of the poly. Should have left it at that and as you say put new tint on. The swirl marks from sanding are too low from the top now so if this final buffing with Novus doesn’t work (also recommended on the fish tank forums) I think this windshield will end up as a chip deflector for my milling machine.
Pictures or video to follow so all can learn from my stupidity.
Cheers
I would have tried to remove it also honestly…that tiny strip would have driven me cray cray too. And plexi just scratches to hell and back. I wouldn’t have sprung for the glass window but was lucky that mine came with it.

if you do have to swap it out, at least you have some other uses for the old piece.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did a quick scrub with the Novus Polish Kit and had some fair results. Had to abort the mission though as I had to finish some honey do's before I flew out to work. Will take the windshield off when I get back and give it a good going over.

Windshield Vid

1 - 7 of 7 Posts