Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar Trail Boss
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Picked up a 22 NS Trail Boss in February after waiting nearly 10 months. Originally I ordered a 21 NS Ultimate last April, however after the 22's were released with the various updates I changed my order to one. Unfortunately my dealer made a mistake on my updated order in August & I was sent to the back of the order line in December (I caught the mistake after checking my online account order) after a long summer and fall and some of winter patiently waiting.

No hard feelings. It happens but my disappointment was high so I began the hunt to try to find a unit in stock. Which we all know is nearly impossible at a non inflated price..... I lucked up finding one in Mississippi, however it was the Trail Boss edition. Most times you have to settle down, in my case I again with a stroke of good luck, was fortunate enough to settle up.

So far in my short time of owning it I have added the following: Rough Country rear bumper with LED's, RC front bumper wings with LEDs, RC 12" LED bar with DRL, Grizzz-Tek mud guards (Randy is awesome to deal with, highly recommended, think I may have been the first order on these LOL ) OTRATTW factory style L series switches, relocated rear camera to the bumper so it's actually usable & 20% tint.

Future plans includes adding a S3 Power Sports 3" bracket lift which I'm hoping I can install and test with the rear self-leveling shocks this weekend, a Gilomen Innovations tune & clutch, slightly more aggressive tires in a 30", side mirrors, & from there just some basic work related items around the place such as lock & ride saw scabbard, etc.

Here's a few pics of the day I picked it up and things I've added:

If anyone would like to see additional add-on / mod pics I can post those as well. I took pics along the way in the event I could help someone else.

JJ

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle
Cloud Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Plant Rectangle Tree Grass Landscape
Car Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive design Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle White Automotive lighting Grille
Gadget Font Audio equipment Electronic instrument Screenshot

·
Registered
809 Posts
Congrats on the sweet ride!

Just a heads-up. Don't be surprised if you have axle issues with the 3" lift. Too much axle angle and the boots let loose.Not certain how the self leveling shocks will react with it either. But these top mount lifts just shove the shocks out to an upright position and suspension geometry changes and the ride gets stiff.

I'm sure in the owners manual somewhere...it states moving the shocks out to the factory outside mounts are for heavier loads and a firmer ride. The lift moves them out more and packs up the springs further.

Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Congrats on the sweet ride!

Just a heads-up. Don't be surprised if you have axle issues with the 3" lift. Too much axle angle and the boots let loose.Not certain how the self leveling shocks will react with it either. But these top mount lifts just shove the shocks out to an upright position and suspension geometry changes and the ride gets stiff.

I'm sure in the owners manual somewhere...it states moving the shocks out to the factory outside mounts are for heavier loads and a firmer ride. The lift moves them out more and packs up the springs further.

Just something to be aware of.
Thanks man!! Been wanting one for years.

Yep. I have been concerned with that possibility. I actually called and spoke to Dustin at S3 this AM. He said the front should be fine, but the rear though would be questionable. Advised if it was his he'd at least try it. I'm going to install only one side, replace tire with it at full droop and give it a free spin. Any resistance at all would tell me that it's got some mild axle angle. I'll keep shocks in the current softest setting.

A buddy of mine has a 21 Ranger Highlifter, it was on his for a day but he wanted bigger. Went with some adjustable 5 or 6" a-arms on 35's. His angle is surprisingly not that bad. It'll be taken in places though that I would never entertain taking mine. If it doesn't fit I haven't bought the brackets from him yet so nothing but a little time wasted.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It's not so much the bind... but the heat that builds up in the axle cup that blows the boots.

A better option for a lift and excellent customer service is Marshall Motoart. It's a 2.5 lift that doesn't give quite as severe angles. And a well built welded one piece bracket. The number on his site is his cell phone will answer any questions you may have. I've ran his lifts since 2016.

Just search mma lift. His lift and Ranger prolift are highly regarded.

Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not so much the bind... but the heat that builds up in the axle cup that blows the boots.

A better option for a lift and excellent customer service is Marshall Motoart. It's a 2.5 lift that doesn't give quite as severe angles. And a well built welded one piece bracket. The number on his site is his cell phone will answer any questions you may have. I've ran his lifts since 2016.

Just search mma lift.

Good luck with the build.
Appreciate the info. I did not know that was a factor to be concerned with but glad I do now. I have seen the MMA lifts advertised and to be honest a lift was not on my radar until the box was given to me this last week to try it out.

I just did a quick search after reading the info on his site but didn't see a google image of the bracket close up. .I see he specifically mentions staying close to factory angle limits unlike other lifts...does this keep the shock placement in the innermost location?

EDIT: Just looked up the Ranger ProLift...I see it lifts from the bottom of the shock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello All,

Picked up a 22 NS Trail Boss in February after waiting nearly 10 months. Originally I ordered a 21 NS Ultimate last April, however after the 22's were released with the various updates I changed my order to one. Unfortunately my dealer made a mistake on my updated order in August & I was sent to the back of the order line in December (I caught the mistake after checking my online account order) after a long summer and fall and some of winter patiently waiting.

No hard feelings. It happens but my disappointment was high so I began the hunt to try to find a unit in stock. Which we all know is nearly impossible at a non inflated price..... I lucked up finding one in Mississippi, however it was the Trail Boss edition. Most times you have to settle down, in my case I again with a stroke of good luck, was fortunate enough to settle up.

So far in my short time of owning it I have added the following: Rough Country rear bumper with LED's, RC front bumper wings with LEDs, RC 12" LED bar with DRL, Grizzz-Tek mud guards (Randy is awesome to deal with, highly recommended, think I may have been the first order on these LOL ) OTRATTW factory style L series switches, relocated rear camera to the bumper so it's actually usable & 20% tint.

Future plans includes adding a S3 Power Sports 3" bracket lift which I'm hoping I can install and test with the rear self-leveling shocks this weekend, a Gilomen Innovations tune & clutch, slightly more aggressive tires in a 30", side mirrors, & from there just some basic work related items around the place such as lock & ride saw scabbard, etc.

If anyone would like to see additional add-on / mod pics I can post those as well. I took pics along the way in the event I could help someone else.

JJ

View attachment 27985 View attachment 27987 View attachment 27989 View attachment 27990 View attachment 27991 View attachment 27992 View attachment 27993 View attachment 27994 View attachment 27996 View attachment 27997
Hello All,

JJ

View attachment 27985 View attachment 27987 View attachment 27989 View attachment 27990 View attachment 27991 View attachment 27992 View attachment 27993 View attachment 27994 View attachment 27996 View attachment 27997
Tint looks awesome. Love the switches, every time I look on their website with “blue leds” they are always out of stock.

congrats on the ride!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tint looks awesome. Love the switches, every time I look on their website with “blue leds” they are always out of stock.

congrats on the ride!
Man do I know your pain. I ordered mine well before I got my machine. And hit back order in February for an additional. I found the trick is to search all, even if not in the lighting section, you can find an icon similar then just change the text to whatever it may be you want. Mostly always the few under “lighting” are out of stock in the blue.

Since I am running the light bar with drl from rough country I was able to use a on/off/on style switch. Those are less popular so easy to get in blue. I spliced the lights wiring harness and isolated the feed to the main light, so when I installed my bumper wings with LED’s, I was able to add them there. Now when I hit drl only that function of the light comes on, but when I hit the front light side it gives me full light bar + the bumper ones at same time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh man. Looks great.
Love the tint
Thank Ya! I was hesitant to go 20% but I am glad I did. At night it really isn't that bad. I am used to it though as my truck is dark and I have the windshield tinted on it as well.
I have an astigmatism in one eye and get bad glare/flare from oncoming headlights at night. Tint helps in reducing it.

·
Registered
2022 NorthStar Premium Matte Titanium
2 Posts
Hello All,

JJ

Nice ride!
Do you have any contact with the muffler or tires when you tilt the bed with the RC bumper? If so how bad is it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice ride!
Do you have any contact with the muffler or tires when you tilt the bed with the RC bumper? If so how bad is it?
Yes sir. The bracket on the right hit the manifold. I was not comfortable with it all all. You could see it move as the bumper touched it.
I took my grinder and rounded it out at a higher angle. You can tell how much material I removed comparing left to right. Now it only touches on the exhaust shield. I can handle that. It does cause the bed to not open 100%. But still has plenty of tilt to dump anything out. Here are a few pics of it more closely.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Helmet Gas

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was one of those "Hey Rough Country, does this fit my exact machine?" "Oh yea JJ. No problem. BUY IT"

By the time I got it on, leveled out, and adjusted how I wanted it; I was dead set on making it work. It fit great. It looked great. I wasn't about to take it off and send back just for that little issue.
I may eventually crawl under it with some soap stone, marking each contact point and doing some finesse cuts / tweaks a bit more but for now I'm plenty happy.

·
Registered
2022 NorthStar Premium Matte Titanium
2 Posts
It was one of those "Hey Rough Country, does this fit my exact machine?" "Oh yea JJ. No problem. BUY IT"

By the time I got it on, leveled out, and adjusted how I wanted it; I was dead set on making it work. It fit great. It looked great. I wasn't about to take it off and send back just for that little issue.
I may eventually crawl under it with some soap stone, marking each contact point and doing some finesse cuts / tweaks a bit more but for now I'm plenty happy.
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed pics. Just what I needed to see before purchasing,

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congrats!!! I settled on my neighbors 2021 Trailboss and he swapped his new 2022 plastics with me becasue he wanted his white ones. saved me over 10k.
I love your bumpers. Also where’d you find the switches? On my last ranger I had to use the other style switches and shim them to make them work.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats!!! I settled on my neighbors 2021 Trailboss and he swapped his new 2022 plastics with me becasue he wanted his white ones. saved me over 10k.
I love your bumpers. Also where’d you find the switches? On my last ranger I had to use the other style switches and shim them to make them work.
That's awesome. Wish I could have saved 10k 🤣 🤣 .

The switches are from OTRATTW. L series. I chose the lower independent models. Perfect fit & matches as they are the same Carling Technology switches just customized
OTR-The Switch Guys

Be warned though its a lot of "out of stock" for the blue/blue. I went thru just about all of them trying to find some in stock.
I was able to find 1 that had a slightly different image than a light bar, and since you can customize the text I just did that to fit my needs.
The one for my light bar since it has a drl is a on/off/on. They are not in as much demand so it was in stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts