Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a LSV in Stock and managed to trade in my 2005 Suzuki 700 KQ today. The dealer had been through a big deal with the NC DOT over some issues. They stated the there have to be an odometer so the mileage could be recorded, So they had bought a GPS and added it on. There was an issue about the tires. I know that the Factory tires have a DOT stamp on them but the DOT man insisted on a different non-aggressive thread pattern. There had to be a windshield wiper installed also. I can't wait to try getting some insurance now.

Was wondering if anyone had run into problems getting the LSV on the road on other states? I have found info that some states will not allow any type of LSV on the roads. I know that NC the posted speed limit can be no greater than 35 mph. We have a college near us that has one of the GEM cars and they drive it on the 45mph road at the college. Bet I would get stopped if I drive that same road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
in Georgia you can run on 45mph roads just as long as windshield w/wiper and turn signal kit installed. i don't have my street legal but thinking about it. but i'm sure i would have some cops mess with me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might get my tag on Friday.

Cant wait to mess with the cops. I'll have to ask, "Why officer, did you not see the tag on this vehicle?"

Had no problem getting insurance with Progressive. All they needed was the vin #. My home owners requires me to have a policy on all my "Toys" due to the blanket coverage I have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
North Carolina Full Size Tag is on. I have insurance and registration now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Don't think you will be able to meet NC laws to make a RZR street legal. LSV has to be limited to 25 mph.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know the law here in PA says that if the vehicle is incapable of moving over 25mph and is used as a work vehicle, than all you need is a "slow moving vehicle" triangle, and it is OK. So the diesel John Deere Gator is fine in that respect, since they are classified as an "agricultural vehicle". Now the diesel Polaris Ranger, which also is limited to 25mph, is not allowed because Polaris vehicles are considered "recreational vehciles". Stupid laws.

In terms of making a Ranger street legal in PA, you need windshield, windshield wiper, reverse lights, DOT radial tires, turn signal kits, mirrors, and a defroster for the windshield. :) (but you don't need doors or roof, so not sure how the defrost would work).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts