Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are still "breaking in" our 2019 Ranger 900XPS. Read the owner's manual on the breaking in process and when we were riding around our place, noticed the rear tires were leaving very deep tread marks. Checking air pressure, found all the tires were low, low, low. Some didn't even register on my gauge. Luckily, I have a shop with an air compressor, so we brought all tire pressures up to mfg specs. I wonder how many others buy theirs from dealers trusting that all is well. Checked all fluid levels too and they were fine.
Also, shifting to H, L, or R there is a lag before the transmission engages with a sudden jerk. Called the dealer and said this was normal for CVT transmissions. I asking the group if that is so and if so, will it get smoother as we use it?

This is a very informative forum. Glad I found it.

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
That certainly is a poor example of a dealer selling an expensive product... They should
be ashamed. As far as the jerkiness and your transmission, it will get better once your
Ranger is broken it. Be sure to use Low Range when off road. You can get some pretty
good speed even in low. Most belt problems are because owners of Rangers use High
Range off road, and only put it in low when in real bad situations.. Not that way with
the Ranger. If you use High Range in off road driving you will be replacing belts.

Enjoy your Ranger it is a fine machine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Don't know what all you read, nor what the dealer told you.

But during breakin.
Let your machine warm up before moving it.
To Keep it in low gear and vary your speed.
Don't get over like 20-25mph.
And that will have it wound up pretty tight.
They want like 25 hrs before you start using High gear.

Its tough and takes a lot of fun out of it.

Look on page 49 and 50 of your manual.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got sick of the 'jerkey' starts and after 4 months I bought a Duraclutch and have never looked back. I've asked several ranger owners to try my rig and now they are Duraclutch owners too. A big expense when you've just paid $14,000 for the ranger.
www.duraclutch.com

·
Registered
407 Posts
That certainly is a poor example of a dealer selling an expensive product... They should
be ashamed. As far as the jerkiness and your transmission, it will get better once your
Ranger is broken it. Be sure to use Low Range when off road. You can get some pretty
good speed even in low. Most belt problems are because owners of Rangers use High
Range off road, and only put it in low when in real bad situations.. Not that way with
the Ranger. If you use High Range in off road driving you will be replacing belts.

Enjoy your Ranger it is a fine machine.
It's all about breaking a new unit in..

If that is too much.
And I know it's hard.
Because 25 hrs is a long time for things to seat.

Maybe a used unit would of been a little more fun for you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
When I had a Kawasaki, it didn't have the power of the xp. Nor the H.P.

Wasn't as jumpy.
On this new xp 900.
It has a lot of power.

Your gonna have to learn how to use the gas peddle..
And when you forget.
It will remind you.

Let it warm up.
That is important.

And bearly touch the peddle.

You are going to have to adapt to the machine.

You can be going 10 mph.
Hit the gas peddle and it jumps up like its gonna take off.

Besides it jerking from needing to be broke in.
Practice using the gas peddle.

I know you will get the hang of it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
We are still "breaking in" our 2019 Ranger 900XPS. Read the owner's manual on the breaking in process and when we were riding around our place, noticed the rear tires were leaving very deep tread marks. Checking air pressure, found all the tires were low, low, low. Some didn't even register on my gauge. Luckily, I have a shop with an air compressor, so we brought all tire pressures up to mfg specs. I wonder how many others buy theirs from dealers trusting that all is well. Checked all fluid levels too and they were fine.
Also, shifting to H, L, or R there is a lag before the transmission engages with a sudden jerk. Called the dealer and said this was normal for CVT transmissions. I asking the group if that is so and if so, will it get smoother as we use it?

This is a very informative forum. Glad I found it.
On the thread marks being left in the yard.

Are you running in turf mode ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts