Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI all
I recently bought a 2015 3400xl diesel, sight unseen except for a handful of pictures. It looks to have been a rental and its 99% complete, it shows about 955 hours. The harder I look the more of a challenge it becomes.

I've started working on the basket case, what a mess. So far I've;
Washed, chipped mud, washed, scraped grease oil and mud, washed. It's got to weigh 50lbs less by now, maybe more​
Taken roof off, sanded primed and painted roll bars, seat mounts and some of the body supports. Reinstalled roof.​
Removed all plastic and repaired ~20 cracks and many busted or missing screw mounting holes​
Ordered and replaced about 50 missing fasteners​
Removed box sides and repaired backing​
Replaced left rear fender (Polaris fender was a match but needed the front 8" cut off, a little less than half the cost of a Bobcat fender)​
Removed back up beeper and installed back up light in its place​
Removed yellow beacon and installed a flood light in its place pointing into bed​
Sanded, straightened, primed and painted the wheels (one was bent so bad it looked like it belonged on a clown car)​
Mounted new tires and valve stems, I'm too old and fat to fight tires but they're on​
Removed seat vinyl (replacement is laying in living room floor, looking for short stainless staples, foam laying in the sun drying, gotta bleach to kill mold)​
Changed engine oil and filter, air filter, trans oil (haven't done front diff yet)​
Removed primary and secondary, cleaned and replaced (primary spider hangs up about half way through the travel, primary sheaves have groove worn just above narrowest point, secondary looks pretty good) still lurches like hell​
Adjusted idle up to ~1200​
Added view mirror​
Disassembled, cleaned and lubed seat belt retractors (cussed more than a little when the spring shot across the garage and the little white spindle decided to hide from me) Reassembled.......... save your money and buy new ones!​
Hosed out radiator multiple times, bled air from thermostat housing, flushed and refilled cooling system​

Next up;
Wash​
Remove rear axle brace (swingarm? lowest suspension member in the rear, deDion....) straighten, repair safety chain holes, sand, prime and paint. bent pretty badly from what must have been a huge trailer hitch load.​
Finish seat recovering​
Replace high beam headlight bulbs​
Patch a few more or the larger cracks​
Change front diff oil​
Check axles (suspect all 4 are shot as the CV joints flop all over the place)​
Check wheel bearings​
Replace CVT belt (current belt is a Polaris 3211193, has a little wear but not too bad) or replace CVT with DuraClutch, if available.​
Grease suspension, I suspect this will be a zerk replacement exercise based on the look of them.​
Clean up and paint some suspension parts​
Brake pads at some point in the not too distant future​
Patch hole melted in the inside of the box​
Replace bed shock or fab electric lift (currently no bed shock installed so bed dumps to 90deg and has broken plastic at bottom of bed)​
Open tailgate and inspect / repair pins​
Replace ignition switch (I think it must have had a problem in the past as its got a push button installed next to the key you push to engage the starter motor)​

good lord what have I gotten myself into..............

I'd appreciate any advice or pitty you've got.
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I removed the bent up suspension part last night, I learned from the service manual Bobcat calls it an axle brace. I took it to a neighbor that has a welding / fabrication shop to see if he could do anything with it. He says he had great luck pushing it back in shape and patching up the safety chain holes, 75 bucks well spent! Need to pick it up and get it painted. Then on to the next task.

Does anyone know a cross reference for the Polaris 3211139 belt to good inexpensive belt?

thanks
Andy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like you've done a ton of work in short order. While doing all that, I suggest checking valve adjustments...not a hard job and makes a huge difference if they're out of spec...curious, does it have the yanmar deisel?

Also, dont forget the fuel filter swap. Toughest thing is getting part numbers crossed with polaris. Seems bobcat keeps it secret and bumps up the price. I went with Rhino axles on front from superatv, but as of lat year they didnt have rhino for rear. I got rears from Eastlake...not as beefy as rhino but way heavier duty than bobcat OEM for fraction of cost.

Before ordering rear axles you want to remove old ones and measure length of each... they're different lengths and seems bobcat had 3 different length variations for my year, 2013. Lady at eastlake pulled parts and measured for me after I ordered wrong set initially. Given the secret part codes, this was only way to verify. The Bobcats are essentially same as polaris, but there are differences in gearing...less speed but more pull. I too wanted duraclutch, but since valve adjust my shifting stiffness issue went away. Mine hooks up well for engine braking with OEM setup. Also red there is some width difference in the belt, so may wanna get that from bobcat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
...also, clever swap on reverse horn to backup light. I didnt have backup beeper but gives me idea of searching for that plug as a light addition sounds simple if mine is alway wired up already.

20200925_194146.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi TX

Thanks for the pointers. I have swapped the fuel filter, no water but there was a hint of rust inside.

I haven’t looked at the valves yet, in fact I haven’t even looked at that section of the service manual. The engine runs exceptionally well, it is a Kohler and so far the best thing about this buggy.

On mine the back up beeper had a plug (next to the tail light plug) on the drivers side bed rail just below the box hinge. 2 wires, red and black. I used a cheap led flood off amazon and it works like a charm.

The part number cross is a bit of a pain. I found a few places that seem correct only to have my oil and fuel filters slightly different size than the one that came off. I used Wix on both, no idea if specs are anywhere close but the threads are the same and the gasket hit the face of the base. The air filter was a Napa and went back with same.

My oil drain plug was tight, no crushable washer. I boogered the Allen hole a little but still useable, made a washer out of a hard plastic washer for now.

I talked to a guy at dura clutch yesterday, seems like a great guy and is confident I’d like it and cure at least some of my ills. 1500 bucks is a lot of money to sink into this thing when I feel like I’m already getting close to what it’s worth. I hope Team Industries responds to me where to get parts and some troubleshooting assistance, so far 4or 5 days and no response.

Your machine looks pretty good, I think mine fell out of a plane then rolled down a mountain and came to rest on a train track.....

thanks again
Andy

·
Registered
60 Posts
What issues are you having with clutch? I was tempted with duraclutch, but too pricey. If I have a failure I may go that route but too rich for an upgrade for me. The valve set was simple on mine...its older so it's a yanmar, but guess its same process finding tdc. Much easier than on gasser kawasaki mule...worth checking...I didnt think I had issues, but was amazed mine needed so much adjusting and the difference it made in shifting was impressive.

Thanks for reverse wiring info...will check mine in morning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My main clutch issue is the spider in the primary getting hung up about half way through the travel on acceleration and deceleration. Also a groove worn on the non move able sheave in the primary at the narrowest point. I’ve cleaned it up well but I don’t have a way to hold it or take the spider off.
I tried Team several times today with no luck, I called venom and they recommended jd clutch doc to fix a team rapid response clutch issue. I emailed them and a guy named brad got right back to me, I have some hope in them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good deal...thanks again for wire info and good luck on repair. If ya do the swap, take pics and post. Sure my day is coming...much cheaper to repair than invest in new machine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts