Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I just picked up a 2002 6x6 ranger 500 from a used dealer. I’m in Nova Scotia, Canada and these 6x6 rangers are pretty scarce. I’m new to the forum and these machines so I’m looking for any advice, pointers, insights or general wisdom I can get about these rigs.
what I know:

500cc carbed engine
3 seater
Does NOT have the optional unlocking rear diffs
Has a glass windshield and metal cab with soft doors ( doors are getting replaced with custom fabbed hard doors)
Has a heater.

Beyond that I don’t know much about it. I’m a mechanic and fabricator by trade so there’s not much i cant do. Are there common issues I should look for? Any odd quirks about them? Good mods to do? It’s going to be used mostly for hauling wood on my property and hunting/ fishing.
thanks in advance for any help folks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys;
I'm new to the forum but not to 6X6 Rangers. I saw my first one about 8 years ago, a Model 99. I was really skeptical about it's usefulness and off road ability looking at the rear suspension. Since then my concerns have been alleviated. These machines will and can go anywhere, carry amazing loads, withstand unbelievable abuse and continue to deliver service year after year. We now have 2 of these Model 99's that we take to our remote Moose Camp each spring where they stay for the Summer and Fall to haul loads and drag brush cutting equipment do road maintenance and carry supplies to our wallows.
The only thing I have found with the 99's is that they steer hard in rough terrain (of which we have an abundance) so I installed an electric power steering system on them to correct that problem.
I'd be happy to share the details if anyone is interested. It was made from salvaged car electric steering components and required some mechanical modifications to the components but if you are a mechanic you should be able to do it.
Cost about $150.00 CDN. Works like a dream.
I'd be pleased to hear how you are getting along with your machines.
BB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts