Polaris Ranger Forum banner

New XP Broke Belt

12K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Dragonzsled 
#1 ·
I was driving down the road going about 40 mph when my belt let go. I was lucky to be by the house. After research I found that Polaris XP models had a recall on the motor mounts. Come to find out the motor mount would break and the motor would shift causing the belt to get out of alignment. If you are under warranty it is covered. And the belt leaves a mess to be cleaned up as well.

#8 ·
It is a service bulletin. I say it today when I took the shredded belt and broken motor mount to my dealer. They told me my 2006 XP was not covered in the bulletin. I handed them the motor mount and told them it looks the same as the ones in the bulletin. They said they would make a phone call and let me know on 1-3-2008

#10 ·
Yes Polaris is using a new belt on the 2008 xp. The belt is wider and deeper allowing for it to grip the clutch sheaves better. This belt is not recommended to be run on the 05-07 models as it could cause hard shifting and premature clutch failure.

All rangers built after 3-6-07 will have the new motor mount #3021936, the old number is 3110044.

#11 ·
I just shredded a belt and found I had a broken motor mount and the torque stop was not making contact with the motor. I adjusted it out until it just put a little pressure on the rubber end. I have mine back together but if you go to this web site
http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
And look up your model and under engine mount you will find it. Mine is a 2006 700XP and it is item #13 part number 3021522 mount, torque stop. It looks like the 2008 is the same item number but the part number is 302154.

#12 ·
Dirty said:
Yes Polaris is using a new belt on the 2008 xp. The belt is wider and deeper allowing for it to grip the clutch sheaves better. This belt is not recommended to be run on the 05-07 models as it could cause hard shifting and premature clutch failure.

All rangers built after 3-6-07 will have the new motor mount #3021936, the old number is 3110044.
Thanks for this information...

#13 ·
Morganwoody said:
I just shredded a belt and found I had a broken motor mount and the torque stop was not making contact with the motor. I adjusted it out until it just put a little pressure on the rubber end. I have mine back together but if you go to this web site
http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
And look up your model and under engine mount you will find it. Mine is a 2006 700XP and it is item #13 part number 3021522 mount, torque stop. It looks like the 2008 is the same item number but the part number is 302154.
I didn't know they had motor mount problems with the 06. Sounds like I might need to make a new mount so I will never have to worry about this again.

#15 ·
I would have to look at it but it would not be hard from the look of the mount they showed me when it broke. I will take a look at it more closely and see what I can come up with. And polyperformance has all types of poly bushin's so that would be no problem.

#17 ·
I have been a snowmobiler for years, and when I got my first Ranger and snapped a belt I replaced the rubber mounts with solid bolts and spacers, just like you do on a high powered snowmobile. That is one of the first things I do when a new one rolls off the trailer at home, and belts now last me from day one until I buy an new Ranger, or about 4 years, of really rough use. Maybe there is a bit more chassis vibration from the engine, but not enough that I ever notice it.

#20 ·
The Xp's are not the only ones having issues with broken motor mounts. My friends 800 Sportman just broke a front mount and it is brand new. 10 hours. Shredded the drive belt and made a mess. He is putting a Kevlar belt back in and fabricated a set of Resin Mounts. I will see if I can get ssome specs or info on how to make them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.