Polaris Ranger Forum banner

261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,445 Posts
I think they use self tapping bolts in those holes don't they? At least that is what another owner said about his experience.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is the first thing I looked at, they are not self tapping. An extra 45 seconds to tap 4 holes in the machining center isn't too much to ask for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
tires

The fat back tires r most of the problem. They r a pig on ice in the snow as far as the handling. But they will go threw the snow just not straight. And said problem gets compounded with any speed. Chains make a big difference but then again speed is limited. Mine will climb steep logging trails with 6" of snow without any problem other than u have to steer it.
I just put some lite pickup tires 14 inch big horns from less swab on my can am , it was squerly with the factory off road tires before but now with 6-8 inchs snow it seams to be better more sipped rubber tire on the road and not so soft rubber tire maybe. I wished I had put them on at 1st. you have to get different rims because the atv rims wont take the air pressure u have to put in them to seal the bead on the tire, you only run about 15 lbs in them.But so far I am very empressed. I am trading in my camander in soon and a will put these tires on my new crew. personally I think a sxs feels more sqerlly than a 4 wheeler because you sit in a sxs were you sit on a 4 wheeler and you feel you have more control because yo move your body with the machine. :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, I would have expected a better answer than that from Polaris, oh well, I wonder what the response would be about my new transmission coming without the holes all tapped?
at least Polaris sends out a answer , I have a can am camander right now and the problems I have addressed to can am I have never herd a thing from them and the dealer can care less. im buying a new sxs in the next year and it will be a new ranger crew 900 xp. I have owned a sportsman before had not one thing wrong with it ,and exelent service. I don't know what I was thinking buying anything else but.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm not complaining about my machine, but there is definitely more to it than "you're driving to fast". I've had many machines over the years, and I always felt in control of what I was driving. My ranger is literally out-of-control if you drive over 5 mph on a road with hardpack with 4WD engaged. If you are on a flat road and can turn off the 4WD, the problem goes away and you can go 20 mph without any issue. But around my area, there are so many hills that I can't go uphill in 2WD on slick roads, so I am reduced to 4WD and creeping along with my front end facing 1 ditch, and my rear end facing the other, crab walking down the road.

Minivans on summer tires run better down my road that my Ranger in 4WD.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm not complaining about my machine, but there is definitely more to it than "you're driving to fast". I've had many machines over the years, and I always felt in control of what I was driving. My ranger is literally out-of-control if you drive over 5 mph on a road with hardpack with 4WD engaged. If you are on a flat road and can turn off the 4WD, the problem goes away and you can go 20 mph without any issue. But around my area, there are so many hills that I can't go uphill in 2WD on slick roads, so I am reduced to 4WD and creeping along with my front end facing 1 ditch, and my rear end facing the other, crab walking down the road.

Minivans on summer tires run better down my road that my Ranger in 4WD.

Hey bro, what tires are you running?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in Northwest Montana and own a 14 XP with about every accessory you can imagine on it. The thing is sort of a 3rd vehicle for us and it sees lots of snow and is used extensively to scout, run the dog, run traps, etc.

Anyway, this is my 6th UTV and it is in my opinion the worst in the snow. I had a simple fix for this, chains. I ended up putting Peerless X chains on all 4 and it is a totally different machine in winter conditions.

Without chains I can't get my XP out the forest roads as far as I can with my full size truck. With the chains I'm miles past where the truck can go due to less weight. If you have to get further and higher than the XP can go it's with a snow mobile and snowshoes.

I store the chains under the seat when not in use. It takes about 10-20 minutes to put all of them on depending on where you are at. After one or two experiences of putting them on you get more efficient at it.

Huge added benefit on ice as well. Without chains or studs (like every other vehicle with tires) this thing is down right sketchy on ice.

One final point which is learned by digging it out of deep snow.........when it starts to chatter and dig immediately get off the gas and back up. I carry tow chains and a shovel to use in conjunction with the winch every time I leave the house. Also good to have a spare winch cable handy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey bro, what tires are you running?
I'm still on the original stock tires, which I know are horrible. But I don't need to ride the roads often, so I just grumble about it and go along. My machine works well enough for plowing the driveway and hauling firewood during winter, and I have no complaints about the machine from April through November.

Can Am and John Deere sell every UTV with nice deep tread tires, why won't Polaris, Yamaha, and Honda do the same?

·
Registered
123 Posts
IDK about the winter thing but when I bought my leftover Ranger I got to test drive a 15' 900 back to back with the 14' and was hard pressed to tell the difference in power.

I've never had an issue like some are describing on ANY of my Polaris machines, and I've had a lot of them. IMO it's the best system out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have another question on my malfunctioning clutch. We got 2" of snow last night so I got to try my last fix from last winter. Is there a speed limit at which the clutch engages either above or below? In high gear the front end will hardly engage, it seems like you have to be below 10-15 mph to get it to engage. In low gear it is more consistent but not 100%. In mud this is more acceptable if there is a slow speed safety but in high speed snow driving and sled pulling the 4x4 has to work better. Does anyone know if there are any factory set electronic controller parameters stopping me from having high range 4x4, if there are that is fine. The dealer checked it last year and told me I was dreaming, only after advice from here to check sensors and plug ins did it start working at all. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
2,445 Posts
After you push the AWD button the RPM has to drop below 3100 before it will engage. Once the solenoid is engaged it will stay engaged until it is turned off again.

The engagement is not electronically controlled. Once the magnet is energized the engagement is totally mechanical.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Alright, to everyone who's posted in this thread, whom I've pissed off in the past I apologize.

Here's a bit of an update:
I was at my dealer a few days ago looking at the Ranger XP900. Will be in the market very soon for a new machine...fingers crossed...I mentioned this issue to my dealer and he said they have had 1 machine in with this exact problem. The front differential was messed up somehow so it wasn't engaging properly. So the problem is out there, the problem exists, but its not every single machine. Wondering if there were some bad parts that got put into the assembly line? Which explains why some members have issues and some don't, and totally explains why my friend's Ranger didn't have the issue, yet a couple others that have rangers now have mentioned this issue at times.

Once again I apologize for my attitude earlier on in this thread. Look forward to further learning from fellow members who've been in the Polaris world far longer than I have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks wild.
Even though my full size 500 works correctly, it still drives better on very slick surfaces with about 175 pounds of weight in the bed. If I know we are to get snow or ice I just leave a load of firewood in the bed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alright, to everyone who's posted in this thread, whom I've pissed off in the past I apologize.

Here's a bit of an update:
I was at my dealer a few days ago looking at the Ranger XP900. Will be in the market very soon for a new machine...fingers crossed...I mentioned this issue to my dealer and he said they have had 1 machine in with this exact problem. The front differential was messed up somehow so it wasn't engaging properly. So the problem is out there, the problem exists, but its not every single machine. Wondering if there were some bad parts that got put into the assembly line? Which explains why some members have issues and some don't, and totally explains why my friend's Ranger didn't have the issue, yet a couple others that have rangers now have mentioned this issue at times.

Once again I apologize for my attitude earlier on in this thread. Look forward to further learning from fellow members who've been in the Polaris world far longer than I have.
I agree that they are not all bad but some just are not right. I have ridden a few others that act better than mine but the dealer doesn't seem to know or care about an issue. just give me a damn button that says 4x4 I can push and keep it engaged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem in deep snow slow down and it kicks in I came on this forum to see if any one else had problem you explained it perfect in NM fencing ready to pull my hair out have 4000 miles on ranger didn't notice on any other conditions but pushing deep snow terrible

261 - 280 of 283 Posts