Polaris Ranger Forum banner

newbee questions

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JIW 
#1 ·
I just brought home a '13 Ranger 800 EPS. It didn't come with a manual and I want to get one but some are for the "mid-size" version and some for the XP. How can I tell which one is mine?
Reading specs for the machine I believe it doesn't have engine braking. Yet when I give it gas, it seems to "stick", then lurch - like the hand brake is stuck on - then comes to a fairly abrupt halt when I let my foot off the gas. I'm hoping its just a frozen cable but right now I don't know if the hand brake is cable actuated or not. Is this symptomatic of some other drivetrain related "usual" or "typical" issue with these machines?

I'm looking forward to getting a service manual and going through it. I have a feeling it's overdue...o_O Well, at least there is oil on the dipstick...:rolleyes:

#2 ·
Does your ranger say XP on the decals on the side ? Or is the ranger front seat able to fit 3 adults of normal size ? if so you have a full size XP ranger. If you can only get two adults in the seat. Then its a mid-size ranger.

#5 ·
The 800 was the XP model up until 2013 which was the first year for the 900XP.
The XP was then dropped from the name and was just the 800 EFI or EPS I think.
As far as I know yours is the same vehicle as the 2012 800 XP but without the name.

#8 ·
Thank you JIW and Rockit. It's a full size Ranger.
And the jerkiness I've been experiencing is not the hand brake. I think there's just some friction in the pedal or throttle linkage that prevents small modulations in throttle off idle. I did a small chore with it moving a m.c. lift from my basement to the garage through 8" of snow. This thing is going to rival my tractor as my new "best helper"!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.